Taralabs grandmaster evolution: new top of the line cables from Taralabs

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
About two weeks ago I received the new Taralabs grandmaster evolution (6 ft) loudspeaker cable and Taralabs grandmaster evolution (1,5m) ic cable. These new top of the line cables are not yet officially launched by Taralabs. However the word spread rapidly that the Grandmaster evolution cables are something extraordinary and they can be ordered, although the availability is restricted (partly because it takes quite some time to produce them). Being a music lover and audiophile for more than thirty years I have learned the hard way that a lot so-called break through products do not live up to the expectations. And although I was a little sceptical that the new grandmaster evolution would outclass my taralabs omega gold and zero gold cables, after talking several times to Matthew Bond and Devon Scott I took the jump. Boy, what am I glad that I did!

Having listened to them for about 50 hours I can say the following: the grandmaster evolution cables are by far the best loudspeaker and ic cables I have ever heard. These cables sound on the one hand very calm/serene but are on the other hand the most dynamic cables I have ever experienced. Furthermore they are very refined (velvet) sounding with a huge soundstage (deep as well as wide) but at the same time with a focus that exceeds easily all other cables that I am familiar with. Probably as a consequence of the great extension of the grandmaster evolution cables they also give you the impression that the soundstage is larger in height without making the players and instruments larger than they are. For example, the distance in height between various players in a large orchestra can be noted easily. Talking about an inky black background and transparency: the grandmaster evolution excells in this regard.

BTW, I connected the (double box) Taralabs grounding device to my Tripoint audio Troy signature se grounding device and noticed that the haze on some vocals was (nearly completely) gone. Spooky!

If I am informed correctly, the new Taralabs evolution line (situated directly below the top of the line grandmaster evolution cables) is right now being tested and reviewed by one of the leading audio reviewers. So if you find my great enthusiam hard to swallow, wait for this review and find out if there are oher people who are as impressed as I am.

Top notch products never come cheap and the same applies to the Taralabs grandmaster evolution line. So probably some WBF readers will jump on the issue of pricing and will be very criticall. I am not going to react to this and can only advise the following: try to give the grandmaster evolution cables a serious listen. They are phenomenal imho.

For those who are interested I include some info from the Taralabs website. Happy listening to eveybody.

"The Grandmaster Evolution Interconnect with “Dual Mono-block” HFX Floating Ground Station System

The Grandmaster Evolution Series from TARA Labs is truly beyond belief. It is quite simply the new watershed in the art and science of audio cable design. The Evolution Series is in a class of its own, beyond all other audio cable products in the history of the audio industry worldwide.

The Grandmaster Evolution Interconnect uses the same multi-lumen air-tube concept invented by TARA Labs as used in the ZERO Interconnects and the AIR Series Interconnects originally developed in 1986. However, the Evolution Interconnect is remarkably flexible.

The Evolution Interconnect uses the same displaced and Floating Shield design together with a new Dual Mono-Block HFX Ground system with greater absorption of RF/EMI and a vanishingly low background noise.

Incredibly, the new Grandmaster Evolution Interconnect boasts a remarkably low capacitance figure of just 2 pF per foot. This means that the new Evolution has a High Frequency bandwidth that is more than 300% greater than any other high-end cable in the world.

• The most advanced air-tube technology and design
• All new proprietary “dual mono-block” floating ground station (HFX) and floating shield system
• Controlled spacing of conductor to conductor geometry, produces record low interconnect capacitance of a mere 2 pf (pico farads)
• Additionally the conductor to shield capacitance is remarkably low so the EMI/RFI coupling from the shield to conductors is negated
• The outer shield is expanded and spaced away from the conductors to such a degree that the background noise is at an all-time low
• Two layers of anti-corrosion coated SAOF-8N copper shield
• Compared to the Zero Evolution, The Grandmaster Evolution has a larger, more complex system of Teflon and Aero-PE filaments that ensure a complete air dielectric system.
• The most revealing and lifelike presentation possible
• Compared to the Zero Evolution, The Grandmaster Evolution has a high-frequency bandwidth that is 50% greater, with a stunning low level of background noise contrasted with more image outlines and fine detail
• Revolutionary liquid micro-film (LMF) dielectric ensures a linear transfer of low-level ambient and spatial information

The Grandmaster Evolution Speaker Cable

The new Evolution speaker cable is a stunning achievement, boasting the greatest current-carrying capability of any speaker cable in the world, together with the High Frequency extension and linearity of a 32-gauge conductor. The Evolution Speaker Cable is an all air-dielectric design with 288 Rectangular Solid Core ® conductors per channel.

Importantly, the gauge size for each channel is far greater than any speaker cable ever made or ever conceived in history. The gauge size is not 10, or 6, or 4, or even 0. The gage size for an Evolution Speaker Cable is 000, that’s an area of 85 square millimeters per channel.

• BSM (with 1/4”or 5/16” Spades or Bananas)
• Gauge size is 000 = an area of 85 Square mm per channel
• SA-OF8N® copper.
• Each channel comprised of 288 Rectangular Solid Core ® conductors per channel
• Aero-PE® GMI™ dielectric.
• Separate positive and negative conductor run for each channel.
• Helixed Rectangular Solid Core® conductors and air-tube technology
• Gauge size is 000 = an area of 85 Square mm per channel
• Spectacular power and clarity. Absolutely neutral and coherent.
• Superb resolution of micro-detail and ambient information.
• Incredible dynamic contrasts & vivid imagery
• Holographic soundstage & superb resolution of micro-details
• Excellent imaging & absolute coherent and neutral
• Holographic soundstage & superb resolution of micro-details".

Grandmaster Evolution Interconnect, 1 meter - Retail $28,000.00
Grandmaster Evolution Speaker cable, 8ft/2.4m – Retail $42,000.00

Last edited:

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
So they're about $10K more for each cable compared to Nordost ODIN's pricing. It will be interesting to see how these compare, I look forward to reading more reviews of them. Thanks for sharing this information and your perspective!

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
. . . . Grandmaster Evolution Speaker cable, 8ft/2.4m – Retail $42,000.00

I'll need six cables. Three for each channel.

Is that $42,000 per stereo pair or each?

I need to know if I should cancel the order for my Merc S550 or the Bentley. :eek:

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
Yes, shocking, isn't it ?
Not really shocking to me. As they say in high end audio "there is no end to the madness!" The market dictates the survival of ultra priced products like these, and if they are really that special they will survive. There will always be those naysayers claiming that all cables are essentially the same, but in top end systems I have heard some such cables make an astounding difference in performance. I suspect you have too in order to justify purchasing some ODIN cables for your system.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Not really shocking to me. As they say in high end audio "there is no end to the madness!" The market dictates the survival of ultra priced products like these, and if they are really that special they will survive. There will always be those naysayers claiming that all cables are essentially the same, but in top end systems I have heard some such cables make an astounding difference in performance. I suspect you have too in order to justify purchasing some ODIN cables for your system.

Knowing Tara Labs from the 90's and what they charged for their top line cable...this offering is obscene. But then again, some people say Odin buyers are Obscene. I was a Valhalla system prior and based on my choice of components, only Odin would do. They don't sound like anything....just the componentry that is feeding them, IMHO and experience.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Another of God's signs that you have too much money. So what do you gain for that 200K? Perfect clarity and total uncongested presentation of a master recording worth listening to and a redbook CD version.....I'm totally unimpressed.YMMV

A cable can only pass signal and shield from interference.

If you think cables as jewelry well that's different.

Last edited:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Knowing Tara Labs from the 90's and what they charged for their top line cable...this offering is obscene. But then again, some people say Odin buyers are Obscene. I was a Valhalla system prior and based on my choice of components, only Odin would do. They don't sound like anything....just the componentry that is feeding them, IMHO and experience.

But you'd like to hear the Tara Labs right? I know I would. :) I can't afford them either.

In fact Matthew offered me an opportunity to his new cables in my system. Unlike others here, I'm curious to hear. I'm with you AC.

Why a few people here get away with pissing on every high-end product without ramifications is beyond me. There is just something wrong here; you never hear anyone dissing Ferraris, Patek watches, expensive wines or other haute couture products. Why some audiophiles feel the need to tear down their hobby all the time is beyond me.

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
Why a few people here get away with pissing on every high-end product without ramifications is beyond me. There is just something wrong here; you never hear anyone dissing Ferraris, Patek watches, expensive wines or other haute couture products. Why some audiophiles feel the need to tear down their hobby all the time is beyond me.

Who's "pissed" on the product?

Value is a consumer based metric judged accordingly, so it stands to reason that these "extreme" praised/priced products (w/glowing reviews) - invite scrutiny.

So, nobody here so far, is "tear(ing) down their hobby all the time" ... by simply questioning value ...

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
But you'd like to hear the Tara Labs right? I know I would. :) I can't afford them either.

In fact Matthew offered me an opportunity to his new cables in my system. Unlike others here, I'm curious to hear. I'm with you AC.

Trying new exotic cables is no longer an interest to me. At this point, I don't want to spend the time doing the mental gymnastics of cable evaluation. That said, I am getting ready to try my MIT MA-X SHD speaker cable again to see how it compares to Odin. It has been 6 months since they were hooked up. I'm not messing around with source cabling anymore.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Who's "pissed" on the product?

Value is a consumer based metric judged accordingly, so it stands to reason that these "extreme" praised/priced products (w/glowing reviews) - invite scrutiny.

So, nobody here so far, is "tear(ing) down their hobby all the time" ... by simply questioning value ...

Go back and reread the thread then. And other threads too. And my post too.

Reactions: Hilroy48

Brian Walsh

Jul 7, 2011
ttsetup.com
Incredibly, the new Grandmaster Evolution Interconnect boasts a remarkably low capacitance figure of just 2 pF per foot. This means that the new Evolution has a High Frequency bandwidth that is more than 300% greater than any other high-end cable in the world.
Not necessarily. Teo Audio Liquid Cables have virtually unmeasureable capacitance and have been successfully demonstrated to transmit high def component video signals.

I would love to make a comparison.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Forgot to mention in my first post: the Taralabs grandmaster evolution loudspeaker cables connect my Tidal T1 sunray loudspeakers to my Zanden 9500 mk iii 845) tube amps, while the Taralabs grandmaster evolution ic's are used between the Zanden 3000 linestage and the mentioned power amps. I am using a Taralabs zero gold ic between the Zanden 3000 linestage and the Zanden 1200 mk iii phonostage. Right now I am using my trusted Forsell airforce one turntable with a Walker audio motor drive (this drive replaced the Forsell flywheel) with a Koetso coral stone diamond cartridge. Kondo sfz step up is combined with the Zanden phonostage. The latter is probably not an ideal match (as it is with the Kondo m1000 mk i preamp), but it is making glorious music to my ears nonetheless.

One of the intriguing qualities of the Taralabs grandmaster evolution cables is that the individual instruments/players can be identified so clearly no matter how complicated the music becomes. For example the decay ('dying' tones of instruments that are no longer being played) is presented in such a transparent way that you can 'follow' and hear these dissappearing tones quite easily among all the other music produced by a large orchestra. The transparency of the grandmaster evolution cables is in other words superb.

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
8 years ago I was vertically bi-amping my VR9SE's with a pair of stereo darTZeel NHB-108's using two pair of $34k each pair Transparent Opus M speaker cables. I loved the sound.

since then I decided I can never question anyone's sanity in terms of spending on cables. I expect the new Tara Grandmaster's deliver the goods given the proper associated gear.

like Christian; I'm not doing cable comparisons any more (or even thinking about it). although when I read about uber-cables something inside me does trigger a curiosity.

Last edited:

sly30

Jun 18, 2012
Trying new exotic cables is no longer an interest to me. At this point, I don't want to spend the time doing the mental gymnastics of cable evaluation. That said, I am getting ready to try my MIT MA-X SHD speaker cable again to see how it compares to Odin. It has been 6 months since they were hooked up. I'm not messing around with source cabling anymore.

MIT MA-X SHD plays music, great bas, little warm, natural sound, great space, deep soundstage. Nordost plays only lean,dry, sounds.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

Mechanical waches have no purposes other than luxury items ... They don;t tell the time better than the cheapest Casio ...
Haute COuture is another Luxury market .. with no other purpose than being a ..well.. Luxury market ...
Expenisve wines..Ditto
Cables ... Extraordinary Expensive cables should have a purpose .. They have become Luxury items .. We, audiophiles have found a way to rationalize them.

Ferrari they are technological marvels and better performs better than their inexpensive counterparts..

Need I say more?

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
A most impressive offering! It looks like Tara Labs are pushing their philosophy and technology to the limits with these new cables. As for pricing, I think it's all relative. A customer who can afford Genesis Dragons & Vitus Masterpiece series electronics, and something like an AF1 deck would likely not baulk at the price. The Grandmaster Evo sc's actually have several similarities to Jorma Statement cables; both use individual runs of cable, both use hundreds of individual conductors per channel, both use multiple shieldings incl: anti-corrosive copper & pure teflon shielding & both are wonderfully neutral, although that's where the similarities end. TL obviously believe in using massive gauge cables to achieve the best sound, whilst Jorma tries to use the purest and narrowest gauge gold and copper wire possible woven around hundreds of ceramic glass fibers to achieve the best sound. It's a different philosophy. The Grandmaster's roughly 50% uptick in price obviously reflects the extreme nature of these cables. All I can say is anyone lucky enough to afford this exotica is very lucky indeed!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Mechanical waches have no purposes other than luxury items ... They don;t tell the time better than the cheapest Casio ...
Haute COuture is another Luxury market .. with no other purpose than being a ..well.. Luxury market ...
Expenisve wines..Ditto
Cables ... Extraordinary Expensive cables should have a purpose .. They have become Luxury items .. We, audiophiles have found a way to rationalize them.

Ferrari they are technological marvels and better performs better than their inexpensive counterparts..

Need I say more?

Good you wear your Casio and I'll keep my IWC and Panerai.

This is indicative of what's wrong in the world and our McDonald's mindset. There is no appreciation of quality. Soon We'll hear how McDonalds is the same as Boulet since they're just protein, carbs and fat anyway. Plus we can throw in a side order of jealousy.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Totally agree with you Bodhi on the lucky part because the Tara grandmaster evolution cables sound indeed absolutely marvelous.

Btw, I have played for many years with Jorma prime loudspeaker cables in combination with the four box Marten coltrane supreme mk1 loudspeakers. Like the Jorma prime loudspeaker cables a lot (have not heard Jorma statement though), although I preferred in my set up the Taralabs sound. That is of course a matter of (i) taste and (ii) the interaction with the other hifi components. I sold the Jorma prime loudspeaker cables and the Marten coltrane supremes mki loudspeakers but I stlll have great respect for both products.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing