The Alexia's are HERE!

I've only heard Sasha and Salon at shows, but the Salons have sounded better 100% of the time.

This rivalry goes back a decade. I much prefered the old Studio's over W/P in a side by side comparison. Alexia may have changed the equation though.

My Alexia's should be arriving in about 30 minutes...can't wait

Wonderful. Need an ESPN style play-by-play. Would love to know how the whole process plays out for you. I've read through the Alexia manual, but it really doesn't tell me much about how an actual install goes. By the way, what does your room look like (dimensions and where you will be placing the speakers, etc.)? What will be driving these bad boys? And what choices the installer and you make on source material for setup. Eager to find out. Best of luck.

Attachments

• we there yet.jpg
    we there yet.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 455
Sorry I missed the play by play...I was upstairs on business calls most of the morning...bummer...it was a relatively painless process with one team here to dismantle the Sasha and bring to new owner and one team to put the Alexia together. For now we just performed some basic measurements and adjustments for initial placement on casters. Gary listened to a few Wilson tracks and some that he likes to use when positioning (will try to get the names). Going to burn in for about 100 hours and then come back for the final placement. I did just listen to a 24/176 digital recording of Time Out...and Wow....Gary also reset sensitivities for Home Theater set-up but will spend most of this afternoon with 2 channel

Here are a few pics of the room first two with Sasha and last ones with Alexia. Sorry for pic quality....just took some quick ones pre/post

Attachments

• IMG_0689.jpg
    IMG_0689.jpg
    488 KB · Views: 445
  • IMG_0688.jpg
    IMG_0688.jpg
    490.1 KB · Views: 448
  • IMG_0712.jpg
    IMG_0712.jpg
    489.9 KB · Views: 458
  • IMG_0713.jpg
    IMG_0713.jpg
    486.1 KB · Views: 477
  • IMG_0714.jpg
    IMG_0714.jpg
    486 KB · Views: 444
Last edited:
Great!

-- Interesting, the center channel speaker attached to the ceiling like that.

* I like high center speakers; I believe they sound better than lower ones, in my experience,
but I've never tried one that high before. ...Do you like what it does?
I'm sure you did experiment with it too on the floor, with a stand?

BTW, the color of your speakers, is it similar to the color of your car? ;)

Here are a few of the amp....Ref 250 for critical listening...and Ayre MX-R connected for normal use and movies. The room is about 27x25x9. I have Center 3 and Surround 2s along with two JL F212s for movie applications but use only the Alexias for 2 channel. I had a special bracket made for the Center3 to save floor space since kids are down in the room also. Equipment other than amps are in closet at end of room and outside the room is the turntable and phono stage which runs to preamp through the shared wall.ATTACH]9064[/ATTACH]IMG_0709.jpgIMG_0705.jpgIMG_0707.jpgIMG_0711.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0710.jpg
    IMG_0710.jpg
    489.2 KB · Views: 434
Last edited:
here is the study system which uses Stax 009 and vinyl source of SME 20/3 and Naim NDS and CD555 for digital

Attachments

• IMG_0715.jpg
    IMG_0715.jpg
    495.5 KB · Views: 435
  • IMG_0716.jpg
    IMG_0716.jpg
    491.9 KB · Views: 433
  • IMG_0717.jpg
    IMG_0717.jpg
    483.1 KB · Views: 433
The last pics are too big for my screen , or is it just me ????

congrats on the new speakers

It's just you

Great looking room. Enjoy the speakers. I've owned entire WATCH center, surrounds and rear What angle did you tilt your center channel. Mine was floor mounted on the Wilson stand. Great speaker but couldn't keep up with the larger Wilsons. Hence the Polaris.

Steve,

it took two tries on the bracket to get the right angle...the first try had the speaker firing too high above the listening position. I will have to go back and check the email exchanges to get the exact degree we settled on. Prior to the Watch/Sasha system I had Thiel 7.2a for L/R and powerpoints on ceiling for center and rear. so the ceiling speaker was already something I was used to and was to avoid accidents with 3 young kids....

They are older now but still enjoy movies and the room. I really like to listen to 2 channel music so have not considered more investment in center channel...but the Polaris is awesome. If I had a dedicated room that is how I would like to go.

--

BTW, the color of your speakers, is it similar to the color of your car? ;)

yes...I seem partial to Grey. Tungsten Silver for car and Dark Titanium for speakers. My daily driver, X5M is Space Grey... If it helps, my wife's Boxster S is Speed Yellow.

Lovely setup. Wish I had the breadth of space you have. My room length is substantial enough. Should be interesting to see how my listening environment turns out.

Best wishes on happy listening going forward.

Maybe when we get some breathing room at work, we could truck our Salon 2s to your place Bruce and do a comparison? May also put the Mark Levinso 53 amps inn the back of the van to bring while we are at it! :D

Talked with a friend(a tube lover) this morning who's currently running ML 53 amps into his Alexias. He says it's a wonderful combination.

Last edited:
yes...I seem partial to Grey. Tungsten Silver for car and Dark Titanium for speakers. My daily driver, X5M is Space Grey... If it helps, my wife's Boxster S is Speed Yellow.

Well, you could have picked the Alexia in yellow. ;) I have been listening a few times to an orange pair and they look really beautiful - in the proper decor they will look terrific.

Remember Dave Wilson advice for burn-in : 48 hours of chamber music. My great burn-in favorite CD is the Bach Brandenburg concertos - in period instruments surely!

I would love for someone to compare the Alexia to the Sony. Seems like with these 2 models there is a brand new price segment created in the $40K range. (If you have $45K to spend, spend it on a low end BMW or a speaker?) The Sony sounded great with a $2500 Rega turntable at Axpona.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu