The All Analog, All Lamm, PBN M2!5 System of JeffreyT

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Jeffrey, I love horns, or more accurately what I hear when they're really singing and maxxing the genres and production/mixes that show them of their best.

But slap on Rush "2112" or Magma "Kontarkosz" or any number of other dense but flat and even hotly mixed prog and fusion dependables, and the sheer limitation of these productions is laid bare.

That's why I love my Zus, they're so easy going, democratic and eager to please w all genres and levels of recordings. If I truly could find horns that excel at what horns are great at while not being fussy or overly forensic in their presentation, I'd be interested. It's great to hear a prog fan like you is really happy w them.

What's current retail on these MTM versions?

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Ron,
Thank you for the awesome visit and the great write up. These speakers did indeed take about 1 year to break in, but the wait has been worth it. I was very happy with the way the system performed on Peter A's Shefffield drum record, the dynamics produced by the JBL 15's was a lot of fun to listen to. Here's a pic of the system you listened to:

View attachment 50315
My kind of system Jeffrey! Good stuff...would love to hear it one day. BTW, I will be in Southern California from the 17th of April until 27th of April. Maybe a chance for a visit?

Reactions: jeff1225

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Marc listens to a lot of prog rock, as do I. Dark Side of the Moon was a hit when we listened the other day if I remember.
I like to spin early Yes or some I Robot on my system from time to time. Rush as well, although I prefer rockin out in the car with them!

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Great write up, Ron. And I love the photos. I thought the system sounded great on all genres. We did not really play large scale orchestral music, but this large, open, dynamic, natural sound should serve that genre especially well.

Marc, I'm not sure these should be considered horn speakers. Jeff described them to me as near full range concentric compression drivers with a computer designed wave guide augmented by two large woofers.

Jeff, the break in period seems excessive, especially since you mentioned you often play the FM tuner while away from the system for break in. Can you estimate how many actual hours that is? You also mentioned that you recently played around with speaker positioning. Do you think the improvement Ron noticed since his last visit two months ago is more the result of continued speaker break in, or the new speaker positioning, or some combination of both? With the speakers on rollers, you showed us how easy they are to move around on your hard floor. Just moving them a few inches closer together seemed to change the sound a lot for me.

Last edited:

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
My kind of system Jeffrey! Good stuff...would love to hear it one day. BTW, I will be in Southern California from the 17th of April until 27th of April. Maybe a chance for a visit?

Morricab,
I'd be honored to have you over to my house for a listening session. I'll PM you to arrange details.

Thanks,
Jeff

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
My kind of system Jeffrey! Good stuff...would love to hear it one day. BTW, I will be in Southern California from the 17th of April until 27th of April. Maybe a chance for a visit?[/QUOTE
I'm in south Orange county.

where in SoCal where you be

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Jeffrey, I love horns, or more accurately what I hear when they're really singing and maxxing the genres and production/mixes that show them of their best.

But slap on Rush "2112" or Magma "Kontarkosz" or any number of other dense but flat and even hotly mixed prog and fusion dependables, and the sheer limitation of these productions is laid bare.

That's why I love my Zus, they're so easy going, democratic and eager to please w all genres and levels of recordings. If I truly could find horns that excel at what horns are great at while not being fussy or overly forensic in their presentation, I'd be interested. It's great to hear a prog fan like you is really happy w them.

This is what you need for your music, Marc.

45B72B39-F830-4049-870D-7F8EB35D0046.jpeg

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012

The current retail on the MTM version is $35K. A serious bargain in the current environment where a pair of Master Built Ultra speaker cables is the same cost.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Can you please post this on your thread Jeff why do it on a Zu thread
The current retail on the MTM version is $35K. A serious bargain in the current environment where a pair of Master Built Ultra speaker cables is the same cost.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I think you are confused my friend. This is Ron's thread about my system.

Sorry, you missed my joke...given Marc's comments it is difficult to make out which is a Zu thread and which not ;)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Looks like I need to hold yr hand, Ked.
Repeat after me: "This is Jeffrey's thead, Marc's Zu thread is elsewhere". Try it a few times, and see if the confusion lifts.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Hi Steve,
I will be all over the place in SoCal and Arizona. My wife and daughter have never been out west so it is a lot of sight seeing. That said we will be in around LA area at least part of the time. Probably down to San Diego as well.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Hi Steve,
I will be all over the place in SoCal and Arizona. My wife and daughter have never been out west so it is a lot of sight seeing. That said we will be in around LA area at least part of the time. Probably down to San Diego as well.
I’m half way between LA and San Diego

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Not sure if you guys saw this video.

Reactions: jeff1225

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Hi Spirit,
Answers to your questions:

1. PBN is currently making this MTM version as a standard offering, its called the 2!5s(Symmetrical.) Mine was the first but PBN loved the sound so he started offering it as $5K upgrade vs the standard version.
  2. The speaker has a different shape than the standard version (trapezoid) and the crossover was slightly tweaked. All of this is standard for the 2!5s
  3. The sound is not "classic" or "vintage." It sounds very natural with excellent transparency. As Rob put it, the system has gone from a 'very good sounding stereo to the natural sound we all strive for.' PBN uses JBL's latest technology (compression driver and wave guide), a modern crossover but rebuild vintage drivers as he believe they sound best.
  4. The system presents all types of music equally well IMO. When Peter A visited, we listened to mostly classical. When most of my friends visit, we listen to classic rock. I'm a big progressive rock guy, I love listening to prog rock on this system much more than my past Avantgardes.
Hi Jeffrey,

I am now auditioning a standard version of PBN M2!5. So far, I quite like what I am hearing.
6EC9CFA5-936C-4E2A-B5E9-217F0F55D112.jpeg
The first impression: the speakers are less audiophile sounding in comparison to my Coincident, but maybe it’s a good thing, as they sound very natural.
I have a couple of questions, and hopefully you will be able to help.

1. What is your recommendation re. toe in?
2. I really like your bigger version of M2!5, but afraid, it will be too big for my room. The room is around 35 square meters, but it’s a living room combined with kitchen, the listening area is only
20 square meters, I sit 2.7 meters from the speakers. What is the recommended minimum distance from the M2!5s to a listener?
3. I’ll have an opportunity to do a very short (1day) home audition of WA Sasha DAW. Based on your experience, how would compare the sound signature of PBN vs WA?

Tnanks in advance,
Aziz

Reactions: Folsom

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Hi Jeffrey,

I am now auditioning a standard version of PBN M2!5. So far, I quite like what I am hearing.
View attachment 59180
The first impression: the speakers are less audiophile sounding in comparison to my Coincident, but maybe it’s a good thing, as they sound very natural.
I have a couple of questions, and hopefully you will be able to help.

1. What is your recommendation re. toe in?
2. I really like your bigger version of M2!5, but afraid, it will be too big for my room. The room is around 35 square meters, but it’s a living room combined with kitchen, the listening area is only
20 square meters, I sit 2.7 meters from the speakers. What is the recommended minimum distance from the M2!5s to a listener?
3. I’ll have an opportunity to do a very short (1day) home audition of WA Sasha DAW. Based on your experience, how would compare the sound signature of PBN vs WA?

Tnanks in advance,
Aziz

Hi Aziz,
The first thing I will say is it took several months for the PBN's to break in. Because the diaphragm is so small on compression drivers, it takes a long time for them to break in. @Ron Resnick and @KeithR can attest to the total change in the system over 6 months. Answers to your questions:

1. I toe in the speaker so that the horn throat is aiming a foot off each ear, I use a laser pointer. I believe that it gives the best imaging
2. I was the first person to have the bigger version of the PBN, it was a custom order and my idea to have Peter use his legacy trapezoid cabinet design. It is superior to the standard version in sound stage and imaging (height and depth). Because of the MTM configuration, it is actually easier to integrate into the room. I sit exactly 2M from the speakers.
3. First of all, I'm a fan of Wilson speakers but I believe they are over priced. I have a friend with the $100K ALEXX and I think they are closer to the PBN. If Wilson made the 2!5 it would be $100K. Secondly, I think the lower Wilson models that are not MTM don't integrate into a listening room as well. The Wilson speaker is an audiophile speaker, the PBN is a music machine.

Get the PBN's, get the MTM version, give them time to break in, and be done with buying speakers.

Reactions: abeidrov

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Jeffrey, thank you. I think, your comment about WA is spot on:)
I wonder why @KeithR has not included PBN in his shortlist of speakers.

How big is the MTM version? Is it the same width and just a bit taller? I’m just afraid my wife will kill me, if order the MTM one.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing