The All Analog, All Lamm, PBN M2!5 System of JeffreyT

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Jeffrey, thank you. I think, your comment about WA is spot on:)
I wonder why @KeithR has not included PBN in his shortlist of speakers.

How big is the MTM version? Is it the same width and just a bit taller? I’m just afraid my wife will kill me, if order the MTM one.

Keith wants a smaller more elegant speaker I think. The MTM version is taller (1.6M) and wider (.6M). Tell your wife what I tell mine, I could be at a bar/club listening to music with my friends or at home listening with you :)

Reactions: PeterA and abeidrov

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Keith wants a smaller more elegant speaker I think. The MTM version is taller (1.6M) and wider (.6M). Tell your wife what I tell mine, I could be at a bar/club listening to music with my friends or at home listening with you :)

Classic response. I tell my wife there are all sorts of interests middle aged men could have. This one is fairly benign and safe and it usually only involves other men.

I can attest to the excellent sound Jeff gets. His speakers are an incredible value.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I've been very happy with my system for quite sometime and it's been relatively stable. After visiting my friend Jim's Tannoy system and witnessing a complete transformation in his sound due to improving his power, I've added a PS Audio P10 to my system. It's a revelation.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
According to the PS Audio, the power coming into my room is 114V and 6.5 THD. After the PS Audio converts the power into DC and then regenerates it to AC, the power is 120V and .5 THD. I have all of my equipment, all with Chang Cheng power cords, going into the PS Audio. What am I hearing? Improved transparency, sound stage and resolution.

Also, I will note that the bias of my Lamm ML1.1's tended to drift every three days and had to be adjusted. With the PS Audio, they are rock solid and never change. @Ron Resnick hear the system with the update and he seemed to like the improvements.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
According to the PS Audio, the power coming into my room is 114V and 6.5 THD. After the PS Audio converts the power into DC and then regenerates it to AC, the power is 120V and .5 THD. I have all of my equipment, all with Chang Cheng power cords, going into the PS Audio. What am I hearing? Improved transparency, sound stage and resolution.

Also, I will note that the bias of my Lamm ML1.1's tended to drift every three days and had to be adjusted. With the PS Audio, they are rock solid and never change. @Ron Resnick hear the system with the update and he seemed to like the improvements.
We used a P10 at our show back in 2017 and it really cleaned up the sound...hotel power with lots of rooms running is awful. This year we put my Monarchy Audio power regenerator on our Kassandra DAC and that helped a lot in exactly the ways you describe. I have been using super clean power on my sources for a good decade now and really elevated the sound...also good power cables helps a lot.

Reactions: jeff1225

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
6.5 incoming THD is a lot. That's what we had in our previous La Jolla location!
The PS Audio was/is a favorite at shows, because while it does constrain dynamics, it's hardly noticeable in a) highly efficient systems like jeffrey's, b) small showrooms/hotel rooms. And in this case, the positives outweight the negatives.
I guess tube amps like the stability, as the bias thing is real. We've used a PS Audio at a show years ago, and the bias in our Audiopax amps was at the exact same spot throughout the whole show. Very handy :)
Enjoy!

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
6.5 incoming THD is a lot. That's what we had in our previous La Jolla location!
The PS Audio was/is a favorite at shows, because while it does constrain dynamics, it's hardly noticeable in a) highly efficient systems like jeffrey's, b) small showrooms/hotel rooms. And in this case, the positives outweight the negatives.
I guess tube amps like the stability, as the bias thing is real. We've used a PS Audio at a show years ago, and the bias in our Audiopax amps was at the exact same spot throughout the whole show. Very handy :)
Enjoy!
All amps like stability ;) not just tube ones but you can’t adjust the bias in SS amps. I only use active regeneration on sources, which has no noticeable effect on dynamics...only upsides.

Reactions: powermatic

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Enjoy!

I replaced two Richard Gray 400s'. I can tell you one thing, those units REALLY constrain dynamics. Shocking how bad they were choking my system.

Reactions: asiufy and bonzo75

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I find adapting power conditioning to be a tough curve to experience. If the power conditioning is good, and not bad, you may find your hierarchy of certain traits in familiar albums will change.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I find adapting power conditioning to be a tough curve to experience. If the power conditioning is good, and not bad, you may find your hierarchy of certain traits in familiar albums will change.
great point! Since I made this change, I'm listening to a lot more classical music. Although the system had great dynamics for rock and jazz, i think the system lacked the transparency in the upper registers for strings. That changed with the PS Audio/

Reactions: morricab

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland

I haven't had much success with conditioning only actual regeneration, which from my trials works very well...at least when used on only low powered (and sensitive) circuits (like DACs and phonostages). I think the regenerator needs to be very large to not constrain dynamics (or the amp to have relatively low consumption/power output) for amps.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
While regeneration can be very valuable, I don't preference it. It's not what I'd call the ultimate, but it's the tool you need at times. If it were perfect the power cord going into it would have no effect, but it has an extreme effect! Power conditioning is just as faultable and then some. Almost no one actually does it right, and I'm not make any exclusions for audio based units they're often horrendous.

A regenerator has to be large, has to have a boat load of capacitance to insure that voltage doesn't drop and kill your sound. The smaller your gear is the less size is needed, but regenerators are guilty of many other things that can drop voltage for various reasons for being oversized is the simple man's way out.

MRJAZZ

Industry Expert
Jan 20, 2014
View attachment 59911 With my Lamm amps out for repair, I borrowed my friend Jim's Canary M800 push/pull monoblocks. I have to say they sound fantastic and pair nicely with the Lamm LL2.1 Deluxe preamp.

Concur......they are excellent overall amps, and especially work well with the PBN M2.5 Symmetrical......and if one changes out the driver tubes to some Shu Guang CV 181 z, they are even better....

Attachments

• 81DEA7D1-9A2F-4092-B5C2-8B1FB94AFD64.jpeg
    81DEA7D1-9A2F-4092-B5C2-8B1FB94AFD64.jpeg
    685.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 317C0E98-B154-42A5-8857-69F157322C17.jpeg
    317C0E98-B154-42A5-8857-69F157322C17.jpeg
    431.6 KB · Views: 15

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Nice, Jeff. Great photo of the vdH in action. Haven't heard that XWG Strad., but some say it is better than the MS, at least different in a good way. Lucky you. Strings are so nice on these vdHs. Now there is another guy out there buying up classical LPs. Damn!

BTW, how would you describe the sound of this vdH compared to your A95 SPU?

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing