The Banshees of Inisherin

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Since a primary theme of the movie was the allegory related to the Irish Civil War as applied to individuals, I'm not sure what other than self-mutilation would have risen to the degree of impact that a Civil War has on humans. I thought the movie was very clever myself.
Maybe if he just shot and killed himself with a single bullet the allegory might be more meaningful but you're not sure what other than self mutilation rose to the degree of impact of the civil war. He should have just killed himself and called it a day. o_O Killing himself .... he would have been a hero. Cutting off his fingers, he's nothing short of an A-hole.

I keep saying that everything was terrific. It was the story that sucked. It will win a lot of awards but none I would give for Best Picture but heck, that's just me

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Maybe if he just shot and killed himself with a single bullet the allegory might be more meaningful but you're not sure what other than self mutilation rose to the degree of impact of the civil war. He should have just killed himself and called it a day. o_O Killing himself .... he would have been a hero. Cutting off his fingers, he's nothing short of an A-hole.

I keep saying that everything was terrific. It was the story that sucked. It will win a lot of awards but none I would give for Best Picture but heck, that's just me
Self mutilation was more how he pressed himself into musical genius imo

DeadWax

Apr 11, 2020
But the impact of the Irish Civil War left Irish society divided and embittered for generations. This unrelenting nature was portrayed in the film...as well as the moments of kindness despite it all - as individuals strived to be good people, even while at "war". Yes, self-mutilation was hard to watch...to the point that we are even discussing whether it was necessary is provacative to the point that I believe the writer would be quite pleased. ;-)

Reactions: musicfirst1

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
But the impact of the Irish Civil War left Irish society divided and embittered for generations. This unrelenting nature was portrayed in the film...as well as the moments of kindness despite it all - as individuals strived to be good people, even while at "war". Yes, self-mutilation was hard to watch...to the point that we are even discussing whether it was necessary is provacative to the point that I believe the writer would be quite pleased. ;-)
we have to agree to disagree. But that's what movies do.
Self mutilation was more how he pressed himself into musical genius imo
Really Keith I suppose one can read anything into the interpretation. My wife and I see a lot of movies and once again great film..I hated the friggin story

Reactions: DeadWax

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
www.musicfirstdistribution.ca
I just read your post to my wife. She almost threw up in he breakfast cereal
Well, I'm not at all surprised that people who eat breakfast cereal would find the occasional tough onion hard to digest.:)

Last edited:

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
The real mystery about this movie isn't it's meaning. It's how this piece of crap ever got made in the first place. The second mystery is why it was reviewed so favorably.

The only thing that I can think of that is positive about this movie is that it gives Ishtar a run for its money as the worst movie ever made.

Kenc

Jan 3, 2019
Toronto, Canada
I enjoyed this movie...particularly Brendan Gleeson. If you like him check out the series Mr. Mercedes. I can't recall where it's streaming but it is an incredible series. Besides he has a bitchin' system on the show with Cerwin Vega speakers as I recall.

MRJAZZ

Industry Expert
Jan 20, 2014
I enjoyed this movie...particularly Brendan Gleeson. If you like him check out the series Mr. Mercedes. I can't recall where it's streaming but it is an incredible series. Besides he has a bitchin' system on the show with Cerwin Vega speakers as I recall.
It's ( MR. Mercedes) streaming on Peacock.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing