The best and worst at rmaf 2012

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Good to know though that you believe Ed's eplanation but not mine using the same words :D

Rob,

I got an even more challenging sentence to explain, you can try it. From the DAC2 page:

(...) The performance of the DAC2 HGC exceeds the measurement limits of today's state-of-the art test equipment. Discover the analog sound of the DAC2 HGC.

Do you think it plays vinyl or tapes? ;)

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I'm pretty sure it has analog circuitry in it...

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I may have misheard or misinterpreted the exhibitor, but I'm almost positive he said "native playback of DSD files". Anyone else hear that at RAMF?

addendum: looking at the website appears to confirm what I was told, i.e., conversion of native DSD to analog (emphasis mine).

Didn't mean to give you the impression that I didn't believe you. I missed where they said on their website that the conversion process simply meant converting from DSD to analog.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Didn't mean to give you the impression that I didn't believe you. I missed where they said on their website that the conversion process simply meant converting from DSD to analog.

Just joshin' with you

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Yes no Magicos, I actually wondered whilst reading all the statements about FMA etc, all highest price systems.

Did anybody hear Merlin speakers? Echos?

thanks for your thoughts..
e

I heard the Merlins, found them a little thin-sounding but was there for just a brief.

trh8654

May 29, 2010
Virginia
I also thought this year all the YG rooms were very good, really liked the Veloce room. Prices on the Kipod and Anats have gone down over $10K a pr. now that they are doing so much in house on them.
My favorite room of the show was the GTT room with the YGs driven by the Tenor amp with Veloce preamp.
Also really liked the small Highwater room with the Hornings speakers and the Doshi room with the Wilsons. Went back 3-4 times to the VTL/Wilson room and could not get into it at all.

Last edited:

Bill Demars

Apr 28, 2010
East Greenbush, N.Y.
www.beautyofsound.com
I also thought this year all the YG rooms were very good, really liked the Veloce room. Prices on the Kipod and Anats have gone down over $10K a pr. now that they are doing so much in house on them.
My favorite room of the show was the GTT room with the YGs driven by the Tenor amp with Veloce preamp.
Also really liked the small Highwater room with the Hornings speakers and the Doshi room with the Wilsons. Went back 3-4 times to the VTL/Wilson room and could not get into it at all.

The Kipod/Veloce room was very good in Denver, but was stupendous in NYC. In talking to Joe Kubola, he said the sound in NYC was the best they ever had. And just about every other room was really bad due to the room interactions. Go figure.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Bill, I have very much enjoyed the Acoustic Zen Crescendos powered by Triode at both the 2011 and 2012 RAMF's. A great sounding combination, although if I acquired the Crescendos I'd hope to drive them with something cheaper and more powerful (even at moderate volumes for me the meters on the Triodes were pinned on occasion).

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City

I enjoyed my time at the Devialet room.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
How cool is that little amp/dac combo. Had the carmels sounding really nice

I was not taken by Devialet on prior shows, this time it was not bad, regarding the Carmels it is the only model I have liked from YG so far.

Sorry to say that this time the Avalon room was not there, I have heard the monitors sounding better.

trh8654

May 29, 2010
Virginia
I've always liked the Kipods and Anats more than the Carmels. But I do like the Carmels alot.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Dick Diamond took Scotty Warren and I on a factory tour on Saturday. Yoav has quite the operation going on! He's very proud of his machines. He even has a picture on the wall taken in the airbus factory which shows some of the same expensive machines in his factory. I think one of them costs like $450,000.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Dick is the Chinese speaking representative of YG known as "Mista YG" in China, among other things. :D

Dick and I once wrote for Tom Miiller's Audio Adventure magazine back in the '90s :)

Dick then moved onto Kimber and most recently YG :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing