The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Should this remain as a moderator's signature?

• This signature should be omitted as a moderator's signature.

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • There is nothing wrong with a moderator having this as a signature.

Votes: 41 91.1%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
"The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction."
By that, I take it you mean to never listen to analogue tape. I do find in many instances the digital (high def DSD) version preferable to the vinyl version. Master tape is in another class altogether, at least when compared to vinyl.

"The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction."
By that, I take it you mean to never listen to analogue tape. I do find in many instances the digital (high def DSD) version preferable to the vinyl version. Master tape is in another class altogether, at least when compared to vinyl.
Which AAA albums sound better in DSD than vinyl?

Reactions: Lee
It is not unreasonable for a digital-only member to wonder whether the sentence under examination suggests a bias which might affect Tom's analysis of posts about digital topics.

That double negative says such wonderment is neither reasonable nor unreasonable.

When one operates essentially as a judge in a sensitive role, evaluating members' statements against the provisions of the Terms of Service, it is not "weird" to want to be viewed by the membership as unbiased.

Your sentence connecting a statement of format preference to moderation bias strikes me as a false equivalence. Judgement made about moderation bias is based on the moderator's actions, not his signature.

Reactions: tapepath and PeterA

Which AAA albums sound better in DSD than vinyl?

There almost always seem to be comments attempting to turn a thread into an analog vs digital 'discussion' regardless of the thread subject. Maybe we forgo that here?

There almost always seem to be comments attempting to turn a thread into an analog vs digital 'discussion' regardless of the thread subject. Maybe we forgo that here?
Well I'm genuinely interested as adding a DSD playback solution is something I'm looking at.

Well I'm genuinely interested as adding a DSD playback solution is something I'm looking at.

That's fine. Presumably you could explore your interest in a thread where DSD is a topic. People can post anywhere, it's just better for finding information if it isn't buried in threads without apparent relevancy. I would not come to this thread to read about DSD. Although this thread's title is provocative, it seems to be all about Treitz and not really about analog vs. digital.

Then please feel free to start a thread about that topic or join in on an appropriate and existing DSD thread, so this one can remain focused. Thank you.

Tom

Hello, @adrianywu. To answer your question, it was addressed in the OP, FWIW.

Whether it be analogue tape or vinyl.

Tom

The dealer who sold me my first digital back in 1993 told me the exact same thing about enjoying digital by never listening to analog. This was a common sentiment back then. No big deal and kind of funny.
Right, it made sense in its time. It’s irrelevant and antiquated for the most part now.

• Haha
Reactions: bonzo75
Right, it made sense in its time. It’s irrelevant and antiquated for the most part now.

That depends whom you ask. There is still good digital and bad digital just like with analog.

Member should have whatever they want on their signatures as long as it doesn’t violate the TOS. People get offended by almost anything these days. That should not discourage free speech and the freedom to express one’s opinion.

I do think as a mod, Tom should not have Real Sound in his signature. It is offensive to 95% of the members, and those offended by the second part of his signature are facing a double whammy.

• Haha
Reactions: treitz3
How is this a real thing where someone complained about this?

Caring about someone's signature, to the point that you believe that their opinion on vinyl versus digital, must affect their ability to judge whether someone did or didn't break a forum rule, is almost as weird as thinking that your knowledge of their bias is as important as the (inconsequential as it relates to their role) bias existing.

I struggled to make digital playback work in my world but now I have a new CD player that I'm very happy with. I also use it for live streaming of certain radio stations & broadcasts.

LP playback vs digital vs tape are all different formats. All can sound great but trying to make one format sound like another format is simply wrongthink. I seek natural organic sound as a goal instead. Right now the sound is really happening with both of my 2 setups.
Happy Listening :)

Just my opinions.

Last edited:
Reactions: lordcloud and wil
I struggled to make digital playback work in my world but now I have a new CD player that I'm very happy with. I also use it for live streaming of certain radio stations & broadcasts.

LP playback vs digital vs tape are all different formats. All can sound great but trying to make one format sound like another format is simply wrongthink. I seek natural organic sound as a goal instead. Right now the sound is really happening with both of my 2 setups.
Happy Listening :)

Just my opinions.
I've never understood this fascination with thinking that digital is supposed to sound like analog, to the point that everyone wants to color their digital to make it sound like a completely different thing.

Reactions: A-Line
It’s either moderators will be restricted to do policing and not permitted to comment on topics or unrestricted like a regular member as it has been now. For the latter everybody else will rely on moderators’ self control. There is no middle ground like restricting certain things like signature, strong comments etc IMHO.

It’s either moderators will be restricted to do policing and not permitted to comment on topics or unrestricted like a regular member as it has been now. For the latter everybody else will rely on moderators’ self control. There is no middle ground like restricting certain things like signature, strong comments etc IMHO.

Forget what's right. Just close your eyes and observe a minutes silence for the guy who is not only not appreciating analog over digital, but actually offended because a moderator on a forum is taking a stance in his signature that this guy does not agree with on audio terms

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: mtemur

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu