The [coffee snobs'] espresso thread

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Always add about a tablespoon of Baileys Irish Cream before coffee in my cappuccino.
I wasn’t thinking booze, but come to think of it...i’m guilty as hell. Being of Italian descent, I’ve always enjoyed a shot of Strega or Sambuca in my coffee or Espresso. Baileys is good too!

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
My Faema E91 Diplomat 3 group machine. A HX type commercial which is really overkill, but if you can work on a car, you can restore one of these. Parts are still available as Faema still makes this automatic machine. Photos before and present and now goes on the bench for tear down,descaling and new parts. 37145_e6b10867-64bc-468f-bba0-f2d34770ca68a.jpg 15152d1487814979-presumed-sold-fs-faema-e91-diplomat-3-group-commercial-project-qld-20160813_1...jpg

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I just wanted to share some amazing beans I've had recently... Traction's Ethiopian and Sumatran:

https://traction.coffee/store/

The Ethiopians are both amazing, the Yirg is natural and the Hambela is washed. Yirg has more sweet strawberry and chocolate notes.

Sumatran is a little different, it's less dense and can't be compacted as densely as other beans either, so for espresso you may find a ~10% less dose and a finer grind will work out best.

Traction is owned by a friend, so I may be biased but these beans are very special, some of the best I've had without spending over $50/lb.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Here's one of my latte art attempts, I'm now going for hearts, tulips, fleur de lis... I watched some youtube vids and have made progress wrt milk steaming but am having issues with the milk running together instead of making nice wavy lines of milk/crema/milk/etc...

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
As it was said in Twinn Peaks when asked how he likes his coffee he replied “Black as midnight on a moonless night.”

Me too

I think straight espresso is the best way to fully appreciate all the nuances of a coffee, but I like cortados too. :)

Reactions: BMCG

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I just wanted to share some amazing beans I've had recently... Traction's Ethiopian and Sumatran:

https://traction.coffee/store/

The Ethiopians are both amazing, the Yirg is natural and the Hambela is washed. Yirg has more sweet strawberry and chocolate notes.

Sumatran is a little different, it's less dense and can't be compacted as densely as other beans either, so for espresso you may find a ~10% less dose and a finer grind will work out best.

Traction is owned by a friend, so I may be biased but these beans are very special, some of the best I've had without spending over $50/lb.

Thank you for this.. I have been spending time at https://espressocoffeeguide.com/3-parts-espresso-shot/ where on the right hand side there is a guide menu to top coffee beans - really educational articles on each type of bean and its origin, including the Yirgchaffe you are referencing.

Excerpt:

Gourmet Espresso Beans

You can enjoy espresso using all of the world’s finest gourmet coffees from Tanzania Peaberry to Ethiopian Harrar Longberry to Jamaica Blue Mountain and Guatemala Antigua and so many more premium coffees. Check out their flavor profiles in the Espresso Coffee Guide.

I am unable to source Harrar Longberry, it feels like each year it's sold out the moment it's released...

Reactions: DaveC

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
As it was said in Twin Peaks when asked how he likes his coffee he replied “Black as midnight on a moonless night.”

Me too

It's fun to talk like that, but I must admit once in a while I want a big cup of foo foo, made up all pretty. Once in a while. A small benefit is that the diuretic effect isn't as strong so you don't feel as dehydrated as bad if you have something else in the coffee.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I thought I saw a picture earlier?!?!

Reactions: Steve Williams

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Poured this earlier today. Thought my non-standard latte art came out looking quite cool.

Like some weird Chinese character. View attachment 54646
That’s very cool Justin, the woman next door taught me how to read Greek coffee grinds when I was a kid... I’m thinking there’s an anorexic mermaid or selkie doing a backflip into the ocean in your future... does this resonate with you.

All jokes aside a bit of random latte art is fun, but usually the best I get is a distorted rabbit or the occasional bird... your one earlier actually looks much more impressive.

Last edited:

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Poured this earlier today. Thought my non-standard latte art came out looking quite cool.

Like some weird Chinese character.

Good start!

Latte art is extremely difficult to learn, IMO steaming milk perfectly is hard and learning how to pour it is even harder. Check out some YouTube vids on hearts and tulips.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Good start!

Latte art is extremely difficult to learn, IMO steaming milk perfectly is hard and learning how to pour it is even harder. Check out some YouTube vids on hearts and tulips.

Thanks all.

It's clueless pouring but I actually like that more than the hearts and tulips of proper latte art. Really! I am up for the challenge of the more regular stuff, though.

Yeah I have watched a few videos. This one is probably the best I have come across.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
The Baratza grinder died. Going a few steps up to a Ceado E6P v2, really solid machine, excellent coffee right out of the gate, but still breaking in. This setup is complete for the foreseeable future.

IMG_3692.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3692.jpg
    IMG_3692.jpg
    800.5 KB · Views: 0

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
To all you coffeee snobs, what's your recommendation as to the best way to brew Blue Mountain Jamaican and how coarse or fine a grind do you recommend for coffee and same question if I were to serve it as an espresso?

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
To all you coffeee snobs, what's your recommendation as to the best way to brew Blue Mountain Jamaican and how coarse or fine a grind do you recommend for coffee and same question if I were to serve it as an espresso?
Steve,
Simple answer...coarser for coffee and finer for espresso. I think it depends on your grinder and the machine or the method to brew. I would start with the grind setting you use for espresso and go from there. My grinder is set for espresso only and I do not adjust it for the type of beans. Maybe not correct, but it makes for good espresso for me. Maybe others can chime in on how they setup their grind setting to achieve good crema.

Maybe to basic....

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing