The Colibri “Master Signature”

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I have gone crazy (not that it is crazy enough for most of you) and ordered an Ortofon Anna Diamond and a Kuzma Car60. Now the VdH has to go or my wife will sack me! I have used it very little (less than 100hrs) and will sell it for an incredibly low price so it goes fast, if anyone is interested, please contact me. As paypal does not work in Turkey I could not put it on ads part of the site, sorry.

love my Anna Diamond, congrats! fantastic cartridge.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
in case any Master Signature fans missed it, i will be reluctantly selling my 15-25 hour vdH African Koa Wood 1.1mv output Master Signature to fund other already made purchases. the wife says 'sell it now'.....and she tells me i'm a motivated seller.:(

there you go.....it will be listed by the weekend.....unless......

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
in case any Master Signature fans missed it, i will be reluctantly selling my 15-25 hour vdH African Koa Wood 1.1mv output Master Signature to fund other already made purchases. the wife says 'sell it now'.....and she tells me i'm a motivated seller.:(

there you go.....it will be listed by the weekend.....unless......
Regretfully, for your wife, you
are more often a motivated buyer not
seller :rolleyes:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
As my system and cartridge have been settling in, I am now finding that I prefer loading the Master Signature at 250 ohms on my Pass XP-27 phono. I also use the lowest gain setting of 55 dB for my 1.1mv output and anti skate is set at 0.5g. I had been apprehensive about keeping the VTA constant at the previous loading of 500 ohms trying to get the right balance and best sound for different recordings. I think now that the loading was just a tad too light (higher number). Increasing the loading two notches down to 250 makes the recordings sound more natural and I have less desire to adjust VTA, though admittedly I'm sitting on my hands and not touching the pile of cards now for the 3012R unless I play a super thick 180-200g reissue. ;)

My Master Signature now has about 155 hours on it and it is smoother sounding and less rough around the edges. Sibilance is also a bit less with more hours on it. The cartridge set up guys probably do this quite quickly, but this cartridge has taught me how little I really know about the subject. I have done a lot of trial and error to get more and more out of this cartridge. It is really very special. The cartridge seems quite sensitive to various set up parameters, perhaps because it is so revealing.

At some point I will move it back to my V-12 arm where it was for its first 20 hours before I could set up the 3012R on its armpod. Moving it back may be quite interesting.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
As a result of hearing a friend’s vdH Colibri XGW Stradivarius (I hope I am stating the model name correctly), the current model one down from the Master Signature, I have a renewed interest in investigating vdH cartridges in general, and this one step down model in particular. On this model I heard (and loved) the resolution and “aliveness” for which these top vdH cartridges are justly renowned, but with slightly less sibilance than I personally perceive from the Master Signature (so a better balance for me personally). (Of course, sample to sample cartridge variation and cartridge alignment differences and differences in associated components may drown out these seemingly perceived subtle sonic differences.)

Does anybody know (not guessing, not presuming) what are the actual differences in materials or components or windings or coils or wires or specifications between the Master Signature and this model XGW Stradivarius model right below it?

David, do you happen to know?

Thank you.

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
As a result of hearing a friend’s vdH Colibri XGW Stradivarius (I hope I am stating the model name correctly), the current model one down from the Master Signature, I have a renewed interest in investigating vdH cartridges in general, and this one step down model in particular. On this model I heard (and loved) the resolution and “aliveness” for which these top vdH cartridges are justly renowned, but with slightly less sibilance than I personally perceive from the Master Signature (so a better balance for me personally). (...)

We should remember that vdH cartridges are returned to the factory for adjustment after the initial 300 hours. A friend of mine had a similar problem of sibilants with his cartridge and reported it at that time, the problem came solved when the cartridge was returned.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
As a result of hearing a friend’s vdH Colibri XGW Stradivarius (I hope I am stating the model name correctly), the current model one down from the Master Signature, I have a renewed interest in investigating vdH cartridges in general, and this one step down model in particular.

Does anybody know (not guessing, not presuming) what are the actual differences in materials or components or windings or coils or wires or specifications between the Master Signature and this model right below it?

Thank you.
To my knowledge talking to Mr. van den Hul the main differences between the two was output, Master Sig's achievement was the high 1.1mv output which helps many with noisy phono stages. Low output versions came later when I asked for them, 1.1mv is just too much for system.

I didn't ask for specifics but physically I'm sure the number of coils and probably the magnets are slightly different as is the type of wood he uses for each model. Please note that there are other variants of each model with copper wire and stone bodies too.

Sonically it's the same family sound, the subtle differences are only obvious in direct comparison otherwise you're not going to kick any of them out of bed.

david

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) Does anybody know (not guessing, not presuming) what are the actual differences in materials or components or windings or coils or wires or specifications between the Master Signature and this model XGW Stradivarius model right below it?

Thank you.

See this thread - David and Shakti said it all:

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/vdh-colibri-xgw-koa-stradivarius-on-the-way.24740/

Particularly post #26

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/vdh-colibri-xgw-koa-stradivarius-on-the-way.24740/post-521552

Reactions: Ron Resnick and ddk

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Reactions: Ron Resnick

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
So much talk about good sound of the Master Sig. One thing has not been mentioned is the fact it is the best value for the money imo. Try to find a cart at this level for around $6,000. How much is Opus1, GFS, AtlasSL, universe Premium, Universe Optimum, Red Sparrow, Ortofon Diamond Anna, Esturo Gold, etc. Tell me if 5 judges listening these carts could make a verdict that any one of these can "outclass" the Master Sig sonically. But out-money they definitely could. More company should price their carts like the vdh.

Tang

Last edited:

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
So much talk about good sound of the Master Sig. One thing has not been mentioned is the fact it is the best value for the money imo. Try to find a cart at this level for around $6,000. How much is Opus1, GFS, AtlasSL, universe Premium, Universe Optimum, Red Sparrow, Ortofon Diamond Anna, Esturo Gold, etc. Tell me if 5 judges listening these carts and could make a verdict that any one of these can "outclass" the Master Sig sonically. But out-money they definitely could. More company should price their carts like the vdh.

Tang
And don’t forget the inexpensive retip, lets all wish Mr. Van Den Hul
a long life !:)

Reactions: PeterA

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
And don’t forget the inexpensive retip, lets all wish Mr. Van Den Hul
al long life !:)
Lagonda san. I sent my cart for recondition after 300 hrs and costed me something like $50. The cart came back like a woman just had a repair. Forget retip. You can buy a new one at the price of other carts' retip.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Lagonda san. I sent my cart for recondition after 300 hrs and costed me something like $50. The cart came back like a woman just had a repair. Forget retip. You can buy a new one at the price of other carts' retip.
I am so cheap, I would go for the
retip anytime :rolleyes: if I could,
I would retip in advance :oops:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I am so cheap, I would go for the
retip anytime :rolleyes: if I could,
I would retip in advance :oops:

At your age you can't retip. Your Playboy days are over

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Three of us will soon get a week probation plus trophy points taken away by the moderator.

Btw, What are those trophies they gave out a few days ago for anyway?

good question

Only part of our point and trophy system was activated. Members were asking why points maxed out at 131. W hen we looked into it we found that the system was not fully activated.

As a result we pushed the switch to do such and suddenly everyone was caught up. You won't see anything as much as you did a few days ago everyone is now current in the point system.

My guess is everyone will see a trophy now only infrequently but you're right it was a barrage of trophies all at once

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
So much talk about good sound of the Master Sig. One thing has not been mentioned is the fact it is the best value for the money imo. Try to find a cart at this level for around $6,000. How much is Opus1, GFS, AtlasSL, universe Premium, Universe Optimum, Red Sparrow, Ortofon Diamond Anna, Esturo Gold, etc. Tell me if 5 judges listening these carts could make a verdict that any one of these can "outclass" the Master Sig sonically. But out-money they definitely could. More company should price their carts like the vdh.

Tang
Hehe thats half the USA list price ;)

Reactions: Lagonda

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing