The Eight Things You Need to Know From CES 2013

Sigh, no I was insulted for having a different view to you; look back I laid out the foundations for those perceptions; mine is UNCOMPROMISED ENGINEERING AND SOUND.
Yours is great sound but engineering is secondary (for some reason, some and possibly you do not understand that Audiolabs is using compromised engineering mostly in the implementation architecture and process).
However I also pointed out both perceptions are wrong that includes mine.

You cannot deem high end entry at "a price point based on a 90% there sound quality performance" because two companies may subjectively have close sounds but where one improves it could take more engineering development-implementation and costs including build-manufacturing process.
Hence why I hinted at materials in one post, but that is just one consideration; Sound improvements at these prices including even up to $10k usually involves gaining and losing some sound quality as there is NOT the perfect product due to the diverse nature of achieving subjective sound performance in terms of architecture (whether electronics or speaker), engineering design including tools used, components and materials used,etc.
Most "upgrades" are not really an upgrade but a side move with different subjective threshold and sound qualities-performance.

So one product could be $2k and the other with higher tolerances and a design that at its cheapest could only make a $5k product, your logic is that the $2k is the entry product and the $5k is a flawed or too costly product even if it cost more to improve that part of subjective sound but possibly at the cost of what some may like in the cheaper product.
Only a very few products improve subjective sound quality in all ways, even considering higher prices.
Anyway this then starts to break down because the logic would dictate an arbitary solution making every other product redundant; such as the Vincent or Cambridge Audio 851 models and a single specific speaker with same level of engineering and subjective sound performance (again the flaw is which speaker design counts as 90% getting there to high end as these have different costs and pros-cons, some will argue box speakers are far from perfect compared to electrostatics that has different compromises and some that need serious engineering).
Now if you argue other products may offer better bass,treble-etc but without the same overall performance, you then have to accept entry includes products that can improve in one area but may add several thousand to the price due to the cheapest engineering available to do that.

I am not writing a freaking essay because it should be possible to realise both perceptions (mine being non-compromised sound and engineering for both design and build for entry high end) are flawed in their premise, mine is flawed because it means entry high end has a too wide spectrum for some people that being in general from around $5k (ignoring digital that is cheaper) to around $15k depending upon said design and processes.

Can we both drop this now because it is rather tiresome do you not agree?
The issue is some think a sound performance-quality can be quantified to a price and that better is just that rather than gain and lose something that can have non-linear price affects.
Orb

Last edited:
So one product could be $2k and the other with higher tolerances and a design that at its cheapest could only make a $5k product, your logic is that the $2k is the entry product and the $5k is a flawed or too costly product even if it cost more to improve that part of subjective sound but possibly at the cost of what some may like in the cheaper product.

Please stop trying to put words in my mouth. I never asserted such a thing, nor would I. It's a nonsensical position. What is it that you don't understand about basing one's opinion on sound quality?

Anyway this then starts to break down because the logic would dictate an arbitary solution making every other product redundant; such as the Vincent or Cambridge Audio 851 models...

To briefly review, you've never actually heard the Vincent and the Cambridge. You just saw the reviews. And so it does....

Please stop trying to put words in my mouth. I never asserted such a thing, nor would I. It's a nonsensical position. What is it that you don't understand about basing one's opinion on sound quality?

To briefly review, you've never actually heard the Vincent and the Cambridge. You just saw the reviews. And so it does....

Wow throwing insults around.
If you paid better attention you will notice I said I could not comment about Vincent sound.
SO I think you can take that as YES I HAVE HEARD THE CA 851 and regarding Vincent I was talking not only about reviews but the engineering involved.
But hey thanks now for trying to paint me as a liar.
Tell me, are you going to listen to CA 851 or Vincent (I cannot the Vincent because no distributors in UK, maybe should had asked me why I mentioned Vincent the way I did)?
The irony is your insulting me about my views being too expensive, and yet keep ignoring the two products you should be going out to listen to as they fit in with your view about cost and performance.
Seems your more interested in arguing than audio, go figure.
And yes the CA851 does also show up Audiolab (guess you are going to say I know nothing of those products now eh).
Orb

Edit:
Also nice distraction from my post that expanded on both views and why they are flawed.

Wow throwing insults around.

Seriously, are you not a native English speaker? For the life of me I cannot see an insult.

If you paid better attention you will notice I said I could not comment about Vincent sound.

Anyway this then starts to break down because the logic would dictate an arbitary solution making every other product redundant; such as the Vincent or Cambridge Audio 851 models and a single specific speaker with same level of engineering and subjective sound performance

??

SO I think you can take that as YES I HAVE HEARD THE CA 851 and regarding Vincent I was talking not only about reviews but the engineering involved.
But hey thanks now for trying to paint me as a liar.
Orb

At this point I'm out.

Wow, and you say you do not insult or talk down to people, class person Shaffer.

To show your bias coming into effect, you end with "at this point I'm out"; the place you chose suggests you think I am lying.
Just to remind look back at post #99,
I said, maybe I should bold this for you eh:
who knows maybe you will purchase either the Vincent or CA 851 as they fit with your thoughts perfectly about cost and performance (and I agree both are incredibly well engineered and sound good - cannot comment much about Vincent sound though).

I would say sorry you cannot follow the logic of my earlier post, but then I am not sorry nor do I think you are one to actually consider alternative thoughts when looking how you have been posting at me.
And again you still avoid the CA 851 and how maybe you should check it out or even what this means for products slightly below and more expensive as it sets benchmark at this level as Devialet at its price (Europe Devialet much more competitive than North America), so funny :)
Orb

Thanks Jeff, and hopefully this will be further expanded to possibly greater coverage in other parts of Soundstage network such as the more prominent SoundStage Hifi and possibly with your own thoughts of high end at the accessible spectrum Ultra.
I am sure I am not the only one to miss such excellent products in Soundstage due to not paying attention to Xperience compared to the other sites; what is the difference between Xperience and SoundStage Hi-Fi?

You mention earlier looking at what you deem affordable high end for under $10k I think, but really it is Vincent and this Cambridge Audio 851 that should be pushed as they are probably very close to the products you were thinking in terms of sound quality, while also a benchmark for products at a lower price to be measured against and strive to reach.

To all us (not directed at you Jeff); How many have really been enthusiastic and peristent with that support about the importance of both these brands and these particular models or actually taken notice of either.

Thanks
Orb

Your best bet is to bookmark www.SoundStageNetwork.com and check in on the 1st and 15th. The review sites are www.GoodSound.com (affordable audio, where we have a senior editor named Hans Wetzel; a 27-year-old guy with his finger on the pulse of this market segment; given this thread you should all check out his writing), www.UltraAudio.com, www.SoundStageXperience.com (lifestyle, HT, highly functional hi-fi) and www.SoundStageHiFi.com (bread and butter hi-fi).

With GoodSound! I would say we do a fairly good job covering affordable audio. But yes, we try to filter a lot of this gear out to the other sites as well. The exception has largely been Ultra Audio.

Thanks Jeff,
I guess some products have an overlap ironically between highly functional hi-fi and bread and butter hi-fi making challenging where to publish; maybe in both *shrug*.
Cheers
Orb

Jeff,
just noticed you also have T+A all-in-one Music Receiver box on Xperience with good review.
While $4.2k (however all-in-one solution), it is this type of engineering combined with sound performance and that of CA851 series that should be influencing the bread and butter hi-fi readers as they cover and resolve IMO a lot of what some perceive is wrong with audiophile manufacturing hifi.
These are the type of products that can entice or draw the attention of new blood and others to look at the possibility of better audio (for most consumers I accept this would be the end of their journey and even then some will feel it is too much to spend but it may capture their attention in a positive way).
That said, any chance T+A's other products such as their high end DAC and integrated (could be deemed costly with across the pond effect) will be looked at by Ultra or Soundstage?
Like CA they set engineering standards at prices one usually sees higher and possibly another benchmark manufacturer that keeps all on their toes.
Maybe that is how one defines price ranges to high end; by the very few-rare exceptional products with incredible bang for the buck comprising not just great sound but excellent functionality and engineering principles in design-implementation.
This sets the benchmark for all other products, rather than what one expects it should be for a given price.
Cheers
Orb

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing