The Grid Protector and the EMI Protector By Scherzinger-In My System and I’m Blown Away

steve williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Many years ago as I started my audiophile pursuits, I was basically a digital guy and only got into analogue (turntable and reel to reel) over the past 10 years. I remember vividly when something called a CD player hit the audio market and how one could pause, reverse, fast forward simply and unlike anything that could be done with vinyl or tape. I remember buying my fist CD player by Kyocera and was so enamored that I sold my Ampax reel to reel and a modest turn table and for me the die was cast and I had crossed the Rubicon. Having said this, those early years were filled with fun but a sound that was anything but perfect and certainly not analogue. Digital sound was harsh, sharp. In your face and fraught with listener fatigue.

Over the past 3 decades digital sound has evolved considerably and listening has become far more enjoyable but for many the glare of digital has hampered their use and adoption of digital in their systems. In the early years I was known online as “the ultimate tweak” as I went down the rabbit hole so many times only to get lost in turns, swerves and unnecessary dents in my wallet. As digital got better and better I found my way out of the rabbit hole and have found a path that I find so compelling for my ears that it has resurrected my desires to continue to find ways to improve my digital sound. Taiko products have made me love digital and my audio path has always been a tube system and along came LampizatOr which has endeared my ears with the sound I love.

As I have been sitting patiently waiting for my Olympus and IO to arrive shortly I have been kept busy with something I discovered that has truly gobsmacked me. Not only has it made digital something so much better to which to listen but what it does to analogue is every bit as big or even bigger. I have been listening for days and have kept asking myself if I have taken the plunge down the rabbit hole as I don’t know if the Grid Protector could be considered a tweak or as I feel now, an absolute essential stand alone to any audiophile system.

I have no idea how this product works but I have to say that after a week of listening it is so easy to demonstrate what it does is to turn it off. A typical A-B-A test . All too many times audiophiles will do an A-B test and hear a difference and go with it. I, on the other hand have learned painfully, that the critical test is A-B-A . You have to remove what you added and ask yourself what have you lost or are you finding A is still better. My mantra has always been been “is this something better or is it just something different” This can only be answered with an A-B-A test

Installation of the Grid Protector takes all of 5 minutes. There are 2 power supplies; one with a fixed Schnerzinger power cord and a second that employs a simple wall wart. You can pretty much put it anywhere in your system but I elected to place it where I assumed the most has is in my room and that is behind my speakers in the proximity of my mammoth Lamm ML3 signature amps with each channel having 6 large transformers for a total of 12 transformers

I’m of the ilk that I prefer plug ’n play and set it and forget it. This was that very thing. Screw in an antenna and plug in both the wired power cord and the wall wart (no need for the use of an LPS). There are three switches on the back, two of which IMO are needed (the third switch as I understand it is to daisy chain this with additional boxes. In my room, that was completely unnecessary. Each switch has a middle OFF position and an up 1 position and a down 2 position. This essentially can be simply stated. The 1 is GREAT but the 2 is WOW

The change is instantaneous but initially very subtle.This is a unit that is left on and it seems maximum change is achieved at about 24 hours of the unit being on.Here is what I know about the unit……..

It has two dedicated circuits that target interference fields and suppress it via the live lines and protective earth. Focusing on the domestic power grid it's aim is to improve resolution, purity and flow.

SO WHAT DID I HEAR

There is such an amazing change in clarity that the simplest and faintest of nuances that was previously heard was so much more obvious. The harshness is gone. There is an ease to the listening that completely for me eliminated any fatigue whatsoever. In fact listening to the music totally relaxed me. There is no immersive effect or change in the soundstage. Rather there is a feeling of being closer to the music. What initially I thought was my imagination but easily disproved by turning off the Grid Protector was being able to hear so much clearer especially spoken words in the lyrics of sound. Also the slight background nuances that I previously knew were there were now so much more a part of the presentation. Everything was more palpable. I hate to use clichés but the hash was indeed gone and the palpability and realism of the music seemed to have been brought to life. This is 100% reproducible as I had my wife (with me blindfolded) turn on and off both switches and when they were off, the first time I said, “what just happened?”. It’s not that everything collapses but things become less palpable and less distinct . As for which position I use, I did find each time that if one is good two is great.

Finally I did audition vinyl and some tape today and to my ears the change was even better I hate to say that everything sounded much more natural but what it does is to breathe air into the sound stage and to separate the instruments and the vocals. Turn it off and the sound as I knew it and thought it to be superlative was suddenly just OK and made me conclude, that whatever this Grid Protector does is a must have for my ears and my system.

As I understand the basic concept there is a filtering out of RFI and to a lesser extent EMI. Schnerzinger is a well established Germany based company and quite reliable in their products..I discovered that they also produce an EMI Protector and I have one of these on order so I am very anxious to hear what this box will do as well. There is no coloration Nothing stands out but in summary, there is a sense of air and relaxation, yet far more clarity and the nuances previously heard just seemed so much more audible.

I guess I might have stuck my head down this rabbit hole with this Grid Protector and now with a desire to hear the EMI Protector. Nothing is added but what is there just seems so much more real and palpable that this has become a permanent part of my syste

My interest in this unit came about after reading Mike Malinowski’s superb thread here on WBF re Zellaton (https://whatsbestforum.com/threads/zellaton-the-end-of-my-speaker-journey.37829/ )and I wanted to inquire about the speaker. I reached out to Gideon Swartz in New York who is the USA importer. We have had many discussions and Gideon commented that the two companies codevelop together in order to maximize Zellaton potential. I have heard Schnerzinger cables and was completely unaware that the company is actively involved in projects such as the Grid Protector. I was told that these amazing little boxes will improve any system universally, despite the known Zellaton connection. I was curious enough to ask for a demo and received the Grid Protector last week and for me the rest is history (other than await the arrival of the EMI Protector which also is plug ’n play) as I bought the Grid Protector

IMG_6556.jpeg

IMG_6558.jpegIMG_6563.jpeg

Last edited:
Many years ago as I started my audiophile pursuits, I was basically a digital guy and only got into analogue (turntable and reel to reel) over the past 10 years. I remember vividly when something called a CD player hit the audio market and how one could pause, reverse, fast forward simply and unlike anything that could be done with vinyl or tape. I remember buying my fist CD player by Kyocera and was so enamored that I sold my Ampax reel to reel and a modest turn table and for me the die was cast and I had crossed the Rubicon. Having said this, those early years were filled with fun but a sound that was anything but perfect and certainly not analogue. Digital sound was harsh, sharp. In your face and fraught with listener fatigue.

Over the past 3 decades digital sound has evolved considerably and listening has become far more enjoyable but for many the glare of digital has hampered their use and adoption of digital in their systems. In the early years I was known online as “the ultimate tweak” as I went down the rabbit hole so many times only to get lost in turns, swerves and unnecessary dents in my wallet. As digital got better and better I found my way out of the rabbit hole and have found a path that I find so compelling for my ears that it has resurrected my desires to continue to find ways to improve my digital sound. Taiko products have made me love digital and my audio path has always been a tube system and along came LampizatOr which has endeared my ears with the sound I love.

As I have been sitting patiently waiting for my Olympus and IO to arrive shortly I have been kept busy with something I discovered that has truly gobsmacked me. Not only has it made digital something so much better to which to listen but what it does to analogue is every bit as big or even bigger. I have been listening for days and have kept asking myself if I have taken the plunge down the rabbit hole as I don’t know if the Grid Protector could be considered a tweak or as I feel now, an absolute essential stand alone to any audiophile system.

I have no idea how this product works but I have to say that after a week of listening it is so easy to demonstrate what it does is to turn it off. A typical A-B-A test . All too many times audiophiles will do an A-B test and hear a difference and go with it. I, on the other hand have learned painfully, that the critical test is A-B-A . You have to remove what you added and ask yourself what have you lost or are you finding A is still better. My mantra has always been been “is this something better or is it just something different” This can only be answered with an A-B-A test

Installation of the Grid Protector takes all of 5 minutes. There are 2 power supplies; one with a fixed Schnerzinger power cord and a second that employs a simple wall wart. You can pretty much put it anywhere in your system but I elected to place it where I assumed the most has is in my room and that is behind my speakers in the proximity of my mammoth Lamm ML3 signature amps with each channel having 6 large transformers for a total of 12 transformers

I’m of the ilk that I prefer plug ’n play and set it and forget it. This was that very thing. Screw in an antenna and plug in both the wired power cord and the wall wart (no need for the use of an LPS). There are three switches on the back, two of which IMO are needed (the third switch as I understand it is to daisy chain this with additional boxes. In my room, that was completely unnecessary. Each switch has a middle OFF position and an up 1 position and a down 2 position. This essentially can be simply stated. The 1 is GREAT but the 2 is WOW

The change is instantaneous but initially very subtle.This is a unit that is left on and it seems maximum change is achieved at about 24 hours of the unit being on.Here is what I know about the unit……..

It has two dedicated circuits that target interference fields and suppress it via the live lines and protective earth. Focusing on the domestic power grid it's aim is to improve resolution, purity and flow.

SO WHAT DID I HEAR

There is such an amazing change in clarity that the simplest and faintest of nuances that was previously heard was so much more obvious. The harshness is gone. There is an ease to the listening that completely for me eliminated any fatigue whatsoever. In fact listening to the music totally relaxed me. There is no immersive effect or change in the soundstage. Rather there is a feeling of being closer to the music. What initially I thought was my imagination but easily disproved by turning off the Grid Protector was being able to hear so much clearer especially spoken words in the lyrics of sound. Also the slight background nuances that I previously knew were there were now so much more a part of the presentation. Everything was more palpable. I hate to use clichés but the hash was indeed gone and the palpability and realism of the music seemed to have been brought to life. This is 100% reproducible as I had my wife (with me blindfolded) turn on and off both switches and when they were off, the first time I said, “what just happened?”. It’s not that everything collapses but things become less palpable and less distinct . As for which position I use, I did find each time that if one is good two is great.

Finally I did audition vinyl and some tape today and to my ears the change was even better I hate to say that everything sounded much more natural but what it does is to breathe air into the sound stage and to separate the instruments and the vocals. Turn it off and the sound as I knew it and thought it to be superlative was suddenly just OK and made me conclude, that whatever this Grid Protector does is a must have for my ears and my system.

As I understand the basic concept there is a filtering out of RFI and to a lesser extent EMI. Schnerzinger is a well established Germany based company and quite reliable in their products..I discovered that they also produce an EMI Protector and I have one of these on order so I am very anxious to hear what this box will do as well. There is no coloration Nothing stands out but in summary, there is a sense of air and relaxation, yet far more clarity and the nuances previously heard just seemed so much more audible.

I guess I might have stuck my head down this rabbit hole with this Grid Protector and now with a desire to hear the EMI Protector. Nothing is added but what is there just seems so much more real and palpable that this has become a permanent part of my syste

My interest in this unit came about after reading Mike Malinowski’s superb thread here on WBF re Zellaton (https://whatsbestforum.com/threads/zellaton-the-end-of-my-speaker-journey.37829/ )and I wanted to inquire about the speaker. I reached out to Gideon Swartz in New York who is the USA importer. We have had many discussions and Gideon commented that the two companies codevelop together in order to maximize Zellaton potential. I have heard Schnerzinger cables and was completely unaware that the company is actively involved in projects such as the Grid Protector. I was told that these amazing little boxes will improve any system universally, despite the known Zellaton connection. I was curious enough to ask for a demo and received the Grid Protector last week and for me the rest is history (other than await the arrival of the EMI Protector which also is plug ’n play) as I bought the Grid Protector

View attachment 135530

View attachment 135531View attachment 135532
Interesting and exciting but knowing your appreciation, and mine, of Lampizator products; are you using the Kraftwerk10 with similar objectives?
I have one on order. Thanks

Interesting and exciting but knowing your appreciation, and mine, of Lampizator products; are you using the Kraftwerk10 with similar objectives?
No. Im quite happy and frankly quite astonished with this little box. Good luck in your pursuit

Reactions: dbeau

SO WHAT DID I HEAR

View attachment 135530

View attachment 135531View attachment 135532
Steve,

I agree 100% with your observations!

I have a very open mind as to tweaks. Over the years, I’ve spent a lot of time with obsessive tweakers such as Lloyd Walker, Ted Denney, Peter Breuninger and others. As my system became more resolving I've noticed a correspondingly larger effect with small tweaks.

However, when Gideon talked about the Schnerzinger protectors, I must admit I was at first skeptical. My electricity is isolated, I am the only house on the step-down transformer. I am miles from any industry, sitting in the middle of the woods. My entire listening room is powered by an Equi=Tech transformer with RF/EMI filtering, the same one I believe that Mike Lavigne uses. Finally, my listening room is on the basement floor below grade. Frankly, I was not sure there was that much grunge and noise to clear out. Boy was I wrong.

Gideon brought a box of devices, plugged them in, and said “just listen.” The Improvement was not subtle, and to be honest it probably was the most immediate and profound tweak upgrade that I have ever heard. The sound became more natural, with small details emerging. Although it's counterintuitive, the music was simultaneously more detailed, nuanced and more musical. The highs were not harder and as importantly, they were not softer -- they were just cleaner, clearer, and more involving. The air around the performers increased the sense of realism.

Their improvement of the already amazing Zellaton sound was significant. According to Gideon this makes sense since Zellaton uses Schnerzinger technology and cabling. Needless to say, the Schnerzinger devices stayed. As of today, I am fully protected with (2) Schnerzinger Grid, (2) EMI Protector (1) LAN Protector and one set of four Multiguards.

Even after diving into the Schnerzinger website and multiple discussions with Gideon, I still don't understand how or why they work, however in my humble opinion they are transformative.

Mike

Hi Mike
It seems as if your observations echo mine. Everything was more natural and the little nuances that I thought I heard before are now so much more a part of the musical presentation.. Nothing is gone.....nothing is added....there is no coloration....it's just so much better. There is so much separation and air around the music that the only way to prove to someone what it is doing is to turn off the two switches at the back. As I said in my opening post...these are not tweaks but rather a necessary part of a system. they are indeed transformative. My EMI Protector arrives soon and I will certainly give some feedback here as well. I don't own Zellaton but the effect of this little box in my room was totally unexpected. Glad to read that I am not alone in my observations

To be somewhat more specific, I do indeed love Lampi products so don't take my comment as a negative. Having said this I truly am mind boggled as to what just happened to my system with this little box. I do have the EMI protectector incoming as I need to know if there is more gain to achieve by eliminating the hash as Mike just commented. Finally if indeed there continues to be improvement Schnerzinger makes a power conditioner, called the Allocator which I plan to demo as well.

SO WHAT DID I HEAR

Great write up. Thanks for sharing Steve.

Reactions: steve williams
Ty . I am looking forward to trying the EMI Protector and pending my impressions will than reach out to demo the Allocator

It is so difficult to describe in words other than what I and Mike Malinowski said which strangely were almost identical thoughts. My first impression was nothing earth shattering because nothing added or removed BUT the clarity is staggering and truly the faint nuances I have heard in well known songs and have always strained to decipher them are so alive that it becomes spooky good I posted the picture of this little box string just behind my right speaker was almost inconspicuous but the change in the beauty and clarity of the sound along with the air and separation is so different Han anything I have ever heard in my system. I hate to coin a cliche but it was the most natural sound I have ever heard in my system . It is non fatiguing and if anything I was actually in a state of relaxation. savoring what I was hearing. And then when I was in a state of disbelief I merely flipped the two rear switches off and everything instantly disappeared. This is an instant improvement although I found maximum benefit was achieved at around 24 hours.

This is worth. a demo as I know that there has been such arguments here on WBF about natural sound and all the BS that all sides argue as I will also argue that this little set it and forget it box will bring you as close to natural sound as I certainly have ever heard. Thats why I want to see if I can stretch the envelope with the EMI Protector and if such is the case I will demo the Allocator

This is truly not a tweak. It is as good or better than many other things I have added to my system. It was a demo piece but I bought it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Synaxis
This is truly not a tweak. It is as good or better than many other things I have added to my system.

Steve, I think you’re at the beginning of a new journey, which I’m on since many years. Having been through the typical audiophiles’ gear flipping phases (Gryphon, Lamm, Pass, Vitus amps, countless cablings and so on), being aware of most typical tweaks and setup procedures (which I took care of)…I first got to know Schnerzinger cabling, then all their HF/EMI toolset and more.

I completely got out of the gear upgrading treadmill, as those upgrades on similar levels are absolutely non-essential compared to what’s happening aside of the typical audiophile’s action scenario. You’ve certainly been through even more of this yourself, but with one or two of their applications, you so far just experienced the tip of an iceberg. The key, after using the cabling, is an overarching care for those HF topics. One can reach a level of authenticity, palpability, bass precision and 3D resolution, even with less than ultra expensive gear, which is not ant all achievable otherwise to my knowledge.

Still being at hifi shows and demonstrations, the only listenable normal setups to me in terms of sufficient natural 3D quality levels tend to be the very best horn setups like Aries Cerat and comparable (although I’m otherwise not really a horn guy).

Try to get a complete demo from them in your setup, just for fun. You won’t be able to go back on a different level than like we usually experience things like this.

I liked a former iceberg ad of them, which I pictured at the time (see below) because it’s so true. You’re currently at the tip of the tip of that iceberg (and I’m not their sales rep) ;-)

Attachments

• IMG_1287.jpeg
    IMG_1287.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:
I can understand what you're writing very well. I felt the same way when I first heard about the Grid Protector 5 years ago. We were visiting Dirk Klocke (Schnerzinger). A friend and I were very surprised when he had switched on the Grid Protector. My friend bought it straight away. His devices were PS Audio Digital-Boulder Pre/Amps-Eggelston Savoy speakers. As far as I understand how it works, the Grid Protector creates a wave that removes all interference that enters the room (radio interference or mains power). In any case, it is something new because it creates filtering without having to connect devices in front of the HiFi devices. I decided against it because I need WiFi to control my digital playback and it no longer worked properly with the Grid Protector switched on.

P.S
My guess. In cell phone connection networks, this technology is used to keep the frequency band clean and to increase connections (so that more users can use it) without increasing the frequency range.

Last edited:
I decided against it because I need WiFi to control my digital playback
I think you must have had a different problem with your wifi at the time, as the grid protector doesn’t block it in a way that it’s not usable anymore or less usable.

I think you must have had a different problem with your wifi at the time, as the grid protector doesn’t block it in a way that it’s not usable anymore or less usable.
Maybe, play with 4 switches each for bandwidth and clock rate and look at your wifi connection quality. I know there was an update in 2022. I will borrow it again and test it.

I decided against it because I need WiFi to control my digital playback and it no longer worked properly with the Grid Protector switched on.
You really owe yourself a second audition . I have no idea how this thing works but I can tell you this, my WiFi and cell phone are 100% and that your claim IMO has no precedence anywhere

You really owe yourself a second audition . I have no idea how this thing works but I can tell you this, my WiFi and cell phone are 100% and that your claim IMO has no precedence anywhere
Maybe he is confusing the grid and emi protectors?

Reactions: steve williams
Try to get a complete demo from them in your setup, just for fun. You won’t be able to go back on a different level than like we usually experience things like this.

That is certainly my plan, one step at a time so that I can understand what each little box brings to the table, with a full report to follow in this thread

Maybe, play with 4 switches each for bandwidth and clock rate and look at your wifi connection quality. I know there was an update in 2022. I will borrow it again and test it.
Maybe he is confusing the grid and emi protectors?
Perhaps that is the case as the grid protector in my unit has only 3 rear switches. I have no idea how many the EMI Protector has

That is certainly my plan, one step at a time so that I can understand what each little box brings to the table, with a full report to follow in this thread
Yes, good plan. I think the important thing is to also judge the single differences AFTER you have everything (you can try or get) in place. While surprising differences are there when only one after another is tried, the setup gets so much more resolving with the whole stuff applied, that differences are maximized, especially those affecting ambiance, resolution, 3D imaging. If you then change anything to normal, the newly won reality, 3D and air collapses again.

Another hint is to ignore eventual temporary tonality differences by cabling etc. until you treated all the HF, EMI etc. topics you can. Reason is, many problems one tries to solve with compensating cabling or gear are caused by this kind of noise, so if you successfully fought that noise, you might finally end up with different decisions here and there.

After my experiences around this topic, I think, the major progress in sound quality, especially those with already quite high level and tweaked out gear are longing for for, lies in the taming of this kind of noise.

One of the main lessons learnt from these experiments is usually, what so far (unknown) has been used to compensate for this and that and how this has limited sound quality. After you have this resolution, you will most likely make other gear decisions than you would have made without it (ok, we knew that). And you will probably also notice, how little in comparison most highly paid for HW upgrades contribute to this most essential progress in realistic reproduction.

Yes, good plan. I think the important thing is to also judge the single differences AFTER you have everything (you can try or get) in place. While surprising differences are there when only one after another is tried, the setup gets so much more resolving with the whole stuff applied, that differences are maximized, especially those affecting ambiance, resolution, 3D imaging. If you then change anything to normal, the newly won reality, 3D and air collapses again.

Another hint is to ignore eventual temporary tonality differences by cabling etc. until you treated all the HF, EMI etc. topics you can. Reason is, many problems one tries to solve with compensating cabling or gear are caused by this kind of noise, so if you successfully fought that noise, you might finally end up with different decisions here and there.

After my experiences around this topic, I think, the major progress in sound quality, especially those with already quite high level and tweaked out gear are longing for for, lies in the taming of this kind of noise.

One of the main lessons learnt from these experiments is usually, what so far (unknown) has been used to compensate for this and that and how this has limited sound quality. After you have this resolution, you will most likely make other gear decisions than you would have made without it (ok, we knew that). And you will probably also notice, how little in comparison most highly paid for HW upgrades contribute to this most essential progress in realistic reproduction.
I appreciate your thoughts as the more I listen the more I am mesmerized as to how this tiny little box can make such a profound improvement in the overall sound in my system. Looking forward to the part of the journey and to share my thoughts along the way

Since I have pretty much a full Schnerzinger protection setup, I can tell you from my experience, Wi-Fi works fine in my listening room. As to cell coverage, my neighborhood has very weak cell phone signals and my listening room is essentially underground. However, I get one bar in several areas of the basement, and I get that same one bar in the listening room. The Schnerzinger protection devices do not appear to have any effect on Wi-Fi nor cell phones.

Perhaps that is the case as the grid protector in my unit has only 3 rear switches. I have no idea how many the EMI Protector has

Left side bandwidth
Schnerzinger-Grid-Protector-left.jpg

Right side clock rateSchnerzinger-Grid-Protector-right.jpg

The older version i think

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu