The new audiophile vinyl series The Original Source from Deutsche Grammophon (AAA)

With Amazon you can return easily if damaged anyway

Reactions: No Regrets
For those of you who have ordered these records via A’zon…
How has the shipping packaging been?
Do the records come undamaged and not warped???
Thx much,
Don

Excellent double box packaging from Amazon. Record is flat, clean and very quiet. Placed order on 6/26, arrived 6/27.

Excellent packaging, undamaged but warped. Most recent new pressings I bought are warped, especially from Germany. For me if a new record is made in Germany or from a German label it’s sure it’s warped.
It’s not a big problem cause I flatten those warped records.

Thank you all, for your replies regarding the shipping from Amazon. I was asking as I think I remember reading in one of the forums years ago that Amazon was shipping their lp's in a shipping bag... not even protected in a box and people were saying how the record sleeves were being received with bent corners and the records were warped. As a result, I never would order records from them. It's nice to know that most of you are now having good results :)

I’m not a vinyl guy and I think this set for Solti’s Ring is already completely sold out. //No, it is not
but I thought this YouTube video might be interesting to people who are interested in how some of these LPs are made.
Solti Ring half-speed
[please forgive my poor English]

Regarding Wagner's Ring by Solti (LP & SACD)
Interesting, thanks.
- Although half-speed, these 2022 edition LPs are not full-analog (AAA).
- An SACD edition of that 2022 remaster edition has been released too.
- "They are both sourced from the same digital master"

How do the LPs compare to the SACDs? According to Mark Ward (Tracking Angle):
"I am not a particularly technically knowledgeable person, so I am not really in the position to speculate as to why the 2022 vinyl version is inferior to the 2022 SACD. They are both sourced from the same digital master." ("The Greatest Recording Ever Made": The Decca/Solti "Ring" Cycle Revisited - PART 3: Listening to the Decca "Ring", Tracking Angle).

At least Götterdämmerung is still available in LP, as it was released in the end of June.

The Ring will be played across 2023-24 & 24-25 at the Opéra Royal de La Monnaie (Brussels Opera house).​
1st work: Das Rheingold. Tickets for sale from the 19th of September 2023.​
mu4Qv6fl.png
I own this original copy, in mint condition (given to me by my uncle, whose late step father was a music lover - funny how vinyl is often a matter of sentimental link to people through things):​
das-rheingold-original-decca-lp-1686187429.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Argonaut
You guys can compare these two…one of them is the DGG original source. See which you prefer.

the speakers were taken off the spikes and put on wheels to move around, so the slight boom in bass that is not on either record.

Reactions: Scott Naylor

Interesting, thanks.

"I am not a particularly technically knowledgeable person, so I am not really in the position to speculate as to why the 2022 vinyl version is inferior to the 2022 SACD. They are both sourced from the same digital master." ("The Greatest Recording Ever Made": The Decca/Solti "Ring" Cycle Revisited - PART 3: Listening to the Decca "Ring", Tracking Angle).

At least Götterdämmerung is still available in LP, as it was released in the end of June.

The Ring will played across 2023-24 & 24-25 at the Opéra Royal de La Monnaie (Brussels Opera house).​
mu4Qv6fl.png
I own this original copy, in mint condition (given to me by my uncle, whose late step father was a music lover - funny how vinyl is often a matter of sentimental link to people through things):​
Very interesting and educational read. thanks.
As I mentioned I don’t listen to vinyl. In fact I always prefer my digital setup for a few years now to any vinyl I’ve ever heard anywhere. And I’m also not a fan of SACD/DSD. But it’s interesting to hear another person’s perspective on the different releases.
For me the best digital release of Solti Ring is this new digital one at 24/192. The original had too much noise and the previous remaster took away too much with denoising.
I’m sure there are great analog to LP out there where the analog to digital conversion/remastering is subpar. But since I’m all digital, I’ll live with what I get. Happy listening everyone

You guys can compare these two…one of them is the DGG original source. See which you prefer.

the speakers were taken off the spikes and put on wheels to move around, so the slight boom in bass that is not on either record.

I liked the first video. It's open, dynamic, detailed, better.

Interesting, thanks.

The Ring will played across 2023-24 & 24-25 at the Opéra Royal de La Monnaie (Brussels Opera house).​
mu4Qv6fl.png

Do you have a catalog number for LP? Thanks.

Second for moi. There's a cat!

^If The 2022 Solti Ring LPs were not sourced from the digital rework and repair of the original master tapes I would not have bought the set.

The 2022 SACD sounding better than the LP is not really surprising. LP as a medium has more flaws than any beautiful girl you shouldn’t have fallen in love with.

A comparison of the 1958 Rheingold LP and the 2022 would have been a fun exercise.

Last edited:
^If The 2022 Solti Ring LPs were not sourced from the digital rework and repair of the original master tapes I would not have bought the set.

The 2022 SACD sounding better than the LP is not really surprising. LP as a medium has more flaws than any beautiful girl you shouldn’t have fallen in love with.

A comparison of the 1958 Rheingold LP and the 2022 would have been a fun exercise.

I find vinyl has flaws that are just different from the flaws of digital. Both can be great. Both can be horrible.

True. I find the vinylophile disregard of anything non-AAA quite amusing though.

Back to topic: My DG TOS Mahler 5 Karajan is delayed. I can wait, but the trouble is that it delays my son's birthday present too.

True. I find the vinylophile disregard of anything non-AAA quite amusing though.

Back to topic: My DG TOS Mahler 5 Karajan is delayed. I can wait, but the trouble is that it delays my son's birthday present too.

so you will gift your son a birthday present which is an LP you want to listen to?

Thank you all, for your replies regarding the shipping from Amazon. I was asking as I think I remember reading in one of the forums years ago that Amazon was shipping their lp's in a shipping bag... not even protected in a box and people were saying how the record sleeves were being received with bent corners and the records were warped. As a result, I never would order records from them. It's nice to know that most of you are now having good results :)
Amazon ships records in any number of various ways, even today. I’ve had records put on my porch not even in a box. Sometimes they come in record mailers, sometimes in regular huge boxes. Sometimes double boxed and sometimes not.

Reactions: No Regrets
so you will gift your son a birthday present which is an LP you want to listen to?
He gets Avenged Sevenfold · Life Is But A Dream.
Not my cup of tea, but Stones at El Mocambo is on the same order. :)

Reactions: bonzo75
Do you have a catalog number for LP? Thanks.
I just have some links. There is a "code" on each web page. I hope it helps. Surprisingly, I cannot find Das Rheingold.
- Götterdämmerung: https://store.deutschegrammophon.co...r/richard-wagner-goetterdaemmerung/index.html
- Die Walküre: https://store.deutschegrammophon.co...oniker/richard-wagner-die-walkuere/index.html
- Siegfried: https://store.deutschegrammophon.co...armoniker/richard-wagner-siegfried/index.html

Reactions: tima

Thank you orfeo for posting these.

I've got to say.... I'm a little bit excited :D I just placed an order from the E'lusive Disc for both the Beethoven 7th and the Mahler 5th lp's.... They have them in stock right now! Get em while you can...plus I received free shipping on my order :cool:

Best wishes,
Don

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu