The new audiophile vinyl series The Original Source from Deutsche Grammophon (AAA)

I've order the Verdi from Amazon (com) and the Gilels from Amazon (de) - as it was out of stock on Amazon (com).

Reactions: No Regrets
Did anyone get the Verdi Message da Requiem?
If so, what were your thoughts about it?
Mine was despatched yesterday from Presto in the UK, together with the Ravel/Debussy. Shall report back.
Received the Mahler 5, also from Presto. Have not had time to listen to it yet.

Last edited:
I am a little disappointed by Kleiber recording, sound is a little "compact" when compared to non original source DGG, as Macbeth Abbado, which is wonderful ( I listen on YG Sonja 2.2, Nagra HD pre, D'Agostino progression, TW Acustic Raven with Nagra cartridge )

Mine was despatched yesterday from Presto in the UK, together with the Ravel/Debussy. Shall report back.
Received the Mahler 5, also from Presto. Have not had time to listen to it yet.
That's fantastic! I look forward to hearing your impressions and thoughts on the recordings :)
Best wishes,
Don

I've order the Verdi from Amazon (com) and the Gilels from Amazon (de) - as it was out of stock on Amazon (com).
I'd love to hear your thoughts and listening impressions on these if you'd like to share with us.
Thank you and best wishes,
Don

IMG_4428.jpeg
Verdi Requiem
Berliner Philharmoniker
Herbert von Karajan

Another fabulous recording out of this series. Very quiet surface over which the wide and deep soundstage of the Berlin Jesus Christus Church develops its magic.
Extraordinary dynamics and deep bass from the timpani and double basses.

I am looking forward for the other releases.

greetings Michael

View attachment 114262
Verdi Requiem
Berliner Philharmoniker
Herbert von Karajan

Another fabulous recording out of this series. Very quiet surface over which the wide and deep soundstage of the Berlin Jesus Christus Church develops its magic.
Extraordinary dynamics and deep bass from the timpani and double basses.

I am looking forward for the other releases.

greetings Michael
Hello Michael and welcome to the forum!

Thank you for your post! I curious what your impressions were of.....

1. Did the voices sound all gelled together and muddy? Or do you think it sounds as if you were actually there in person?
2. Do their voices distort at all?
3. Were they able to capture the reverberence and acoustics of the venue well?

Do you have other recorded performances of this pieces... how do you like the performance from this series to the other recordings you might have?

Thank you so much for sharing you listening impressions with us all!

Best wishes,
Don

Hello Michael and welcome to the forum!

Thank you for your post! I curious what your impressions were of.....

1. Did the voices sound all gelled together and muddy? Or do you think it sounds as if you were actually there in person?
2. Do their voices distort at all?
3. Were they able to capture the reverberence and acoustics of the venue well?

Do you have other recorded performances of this pieces... how do you like the performance from this series to the other recordings you might have?

Thank you so much for sharing you listening impressions with us all!

Best wishes,
Don
Hello Don,

thank you for the warm welcome.

I am trying to answer your questions, English is not my first language.

1. most of the time I closed my eyes and could point my finger where the tenor or the soprano was standing. The voices sound clear and very good.
2. the voices sometimes distort, but at very very few times.
3. I think the acoustic of the church was very well captured, you could almost feel the enormous space. Interesting that the bass came through this space. Just fantastic.

I have several records from Giulini, Shaw and Solti with the requiem. And have the Karajan also on Sacd. I like this performance a lot.

greetings Michael

Your post reminded me to check Amazon for the "in-stock" status of the various Original Source lps. I've been checking the other normal online vendors that I normally patronize. Thanks to you, I was able to now order the Emil Gilels, Amadeus Trout lp via Amazon :) It was out of stock when I ordered the Beethoven 7th and the Mahler 5th.

This is my first time ordering records from Amazon, so I hope they take care with the packaging so it arrives damage and warp free.

Thanks again and best wishes to all,
Don

Last edited:
Hello Don,

1. most of the time I closed my eyes and could point my finger where the tenor or the soprano was standing. The voices sound clear and very good.
3. I think the acoustic of the church was very well captured, you could almost feel the enormous space. Interesting that the bass came through this space. Just fantastic.

I have several records from Giulini, Shaw and Solti with the requiem. And have the Karajan also on Sacd. I like this performance a lot.

greetings Michael
Thank you Michael for your excellent post. I found it to be very helpful!

Considering English is not your first language, I would say you do impressively well... probably better than me and it is my first and sadly only language ;) I have always admired people who are able to be fluent in multiple languages.

When you have time and only if you would like to... you are welcome to add in your profile and/or signature, your audio system details. It's always fun to see what the forum members are listening thru.

Looking forward to reading more of your thoughts and listening experiences, so don't be a stranger.

Best wishes,
Don

Reactions: Michael S.
You have a very nice system. I've always loved the look of the Transrotor tables. I've never had the opportunity to hear them myself, but I'm sure it gives you much listening pleasure!

I also like your avatar... does your cat enjoy listening to music with you?

I also have a listening buddy! He's my golden retriever as seen in my avatar. Not only does he enjoy listening to my audio system with me, but he really loves it when I play my cello. I think it's the beautiful resonance that comes from the cello that he connects with.

Here he is with my wife who is also a true music lover!

fullsizeoutput_5e73.jpeg

And my cello that he loves so much :)

fullsizeoutput_37ec.jpeg

Best wishes,
Don

Last edited:
Notes on the Mahler 5:
Very well captured and balanced church acoustics. Competes with the latest Solti Walküre for dynamics. Excellent wide frequency response (my own top octave is shot, mind you). The interpretation is maybe a bit mixed, a wonderful but broad Adagietto with the standard HvK+BP polish, but overall it doesn’t have the impact of the Barshai.
Equipment for this late evening listening: RigB VM540ML in AT-LH13H, Bokrand AS-230, Thorens TD 125 Mk. II, Cambridge Audio Alva Duo, Yamaha WXC-50, Topping L-30, Beyerdynamic DT1770 Pro.

Last edited:
Notes on the Mahler 5:
Very well captured and balanced church acoustics. Competes with the latest Solti Walküre for dynamics. Excellent wide frequency response (my top octave is shot, mind you). The interpretation is maybe a bit mixed, a wonderful but broad Adagietto with the standard HvK+BP polish, but overall it doesn’t have the impact of the Barshai.
Equipment for this late evening listening: RigB VM540ML in AT-LH13H, Bokrand AS-230, Thorens TD 126 Mk. II, Cambridge Audio Alva Duo, Yamaha WXC-50, Topping L-30, Beyerdynamic DT1770 Pro.
Such an excellent description of this recording.... you truly know your music! Thank you so much for sharing this with us all... it is very helpful indeed.

Looking forward to reading more of your listening impressions from the other offerings in this series :)

Best wishes,
Don

Thank you. Made a clarification and corrected a mistyping.

I am very much looking forward to the Ravel/Debussy and the Smetana since I have both on LP from before. Shall report.

Hello Don,

greetings Michael
I just checked at Amazon again and both the Gilels Brahms and the Verdi Requiem are now available. I just ordered them. I look forward to hearing the Requiem. I have the Decca Solti Requiem on tape, but it too shows distortion at the loudest orchestral peaks. I think it is inevitable, but it will be interesting to see how the mastering engineer coped with the wide dynamic range on this release.

I just checked at Amazon again and both the Gilels Brahms and the Verdi Requiem are now available. I just ordered them. I look forward to hearing the Requiem. I have the Decca Solti Requiem on tape, but it too shows distortion at the loudest orchestral peaks. I think it is inevitable, but it will be interesting to see how the mastering engineer coped with the wide dynamic range on this release.
Thank you for your note regarding the Requiem! I too would be interested in hearing your listening impressions on how Sidney handled the cutting for the dynamic range on this one as well. I know that she really wanted to push everything to the limits... it may have gone a tad bit too far on this one though.... please let us know how it plays. You really have a great system that should showcase this recording!

I'm gonna wait on ordering the Requiem until I hear more. But I'm glad that you were able to get them :)

Best wishes,
Don

Last edited:
After giving it more thought, I decided to go back to Amazon and also order the Verdi Requiem. I just had this gut feeling that I would have regrets if I missed out on having this lp. Even though I couldn't add it to my previous order of the Trout that I had just put in on Friday, the shipping was still free :)

I feel fortunate that I was able to get in on a pre-order for the Gilels Brahms back on 7/23 via Music Direct, which has been showing sold out there as well as Acoustic Sounds as of late. I'm glad you were able to find it available on Amazon! There seems to be a great deal of interest in these Original Source Series and for good reason!

It's certainly a fun time for us analog lovers :cool:

Best wishes,
Don

Reactions: Michael S. and tima
This series got the attention it deserves.

Downside is though I preordered every record from the second and third batch, only the Verdi and the Debussy arrived. No sign of the Brahms. It isn’t available at the moment at jpc where I ordered it.
Fomo kicks in…. ;-)

I could cancel my order and go to Amazon etc, but the price with jpc was good.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu