The official audio myth busting thread

But I do think we are at the point today with quad DSD, that a copy of the vinyl rig played back trough a good quad DSD capable DAC would be indistinguishable from the vinyl.

Guys, instead of going round and round and tension built up, why not stick to this claim above and challenge it? Or is this challenge not good enough? Then lets agree on better myth busting challenge and then only the mode of how to conduct it. Of course Blizzard has to present, if not everything is void.

I never even presented a challenge. What are you talking about?
Please Mike. Please. You know exactly what I am talking about. This is the audio myth debunk thread. Awe, never mind. When you are serious about debunking something audio wise, I'll accept the challenge. Whatever that may be. Until then, all I am getting on the airwaves is hot air.

Have a good evening sir and do let me know when you have something you wish to debunk as an audio myth. Until then, I am wasting my time here as are others.

Tom

Guys, instead of going round and round and tension built up, why not stick to this claim above and challenge it? Or is this challenge not good enough? Then lets agree on better myth busting challenge and then only the mode of how to conduct it. Of course Blizzard has to present, if not everything is void.

That was an opinion, not a challenge. A challenge would have all the details of setup procedure, all the gear required, time, place etc. But we all know the analog guys would never offer that challenge.

Please Mike. Please. You know exactly what I am talking about. This is the audio myth debunk thread. Awe, never mind. When you are serious about debunking something audio wise, I'll accept the challenge. Whatever that may be. Until then, all I am getting on the airwaves is hot air.

Have a good evening sir and do let me know when you have something you wish to debunk as an audio myth. Until then, I am wasting my time here.

Tom

Yes it's seems very apparent that you're just trying to clutter up the thread.

With the acceptance of your challenge?

Once again, the original post of this thread....

Hi Guys,

I just started my experience with forum culture a few months ago. It's part of an aggressive research program designed to see where the average audiophile is at today regarding their audio gear based beliefs. It's actually been quite a shocking experience to say the least. One thing I've really noticed is, there's so many arguments that can never be settled over the forum anyways, simply because the party who's wrong, is too stubborn to acknowledge that this is the case. So rather than pointless arguments, why not come up with a solution instead?

So I've given this a lot of thought on how we can go about busting these myth's. I think the only way would be to find different individual's or groups who live in nearby cities, and have opposing views on what's right or what's wrong, and arrange a get together to actually demonstrate both ways of doing things in person. Then record the process, upload to youtube, and share the link on this thread.

In order for this to be an success, both parties must have enough confidence in their viewpoint to actually go though with the meeting, and openly share the result footage on this thread. So what I suggest for people to do who want a myth busted, is to propose a challenge on this thread, and see if there's any other members in the region who have an opposing view and would like to officially bust the opposite point of view. Once busted, if the busted myth is ever brought up again, anywhere on the forum, a link to this thread can simply be shared.

Just imagine how much better this industry would be if all of these crazy myths were dispelled!

Anyone with a strong opinion on a controversial matter, and refuses to even take part in a challenge, can officially be called a chicken :)

What does everyone think about this idea?

Tom

Cool experiment .
...What I'm thinking is something like have a vinyl rig and a digital rig behind a curtain and compare the vinyl vs a DSD 256 vinyl rip, and have the biggest vinyl fanatics pick out which is which. And have them on tape when they make the choice. It would be golden to have it on tape if they picked the digital copy :)

Or same with R2R vs quad DSD copy of R2R.
Sounds like a challenge to me. Charlotte,North Carolina is lovely
Air fare is cheap, hotel rates are reasonable

Hi Guys,

I just started my experience with forum culture a few months ago. It's part of an aggressive research program designed to see where the average audiophile is at today regarding their audio gear based beliefs. It's actually been quite a shocking experience to say the least. One thing I've really noticed is, there's so many arguments that can never be settled over the forum anyways, simply because the party who's wrong, is too stubborn to acknowledge that this is the case. So rather than pointless arguments, why not come up with a solution instead?

So I've given this a lot of thought on how we can go about busting these myth's. I think the only way would be to find different individual's or groups who live in nearby cities, and have opposing views on what's right or what's wrong, and arrange a get together to actually demonstrate both ways of doing things in person. Then record the process, upload to youtube, and share the link on this thread.

In order for this to be an success, both parties must have enough confidence in their viewpoint to actually go though with the meeting, and openly share the result footage on this thread. So what I suggest for people to do who want a myth busted, is to propose a challenge on this thread, and see if there's any other members in the region who have an opposing view and would like to officially bust the opposite point of view. Once busted, if the busted myth is ever brought up again, anywhere on the forum, a link to this thread can simply be shared.

Just imagine how much better this industry would be if all of these crazy myths were dispelled!

Anyone with a strong opinion on a controversial matter, and refuses to even take part in a challenge, can officially be called a chicken :)

What does everyone think about this idea?

Read the bolded font's. And please copy and paste where this was done on this thread.

Sounds like a challenge to me. Charlotte,North Carolina is lovely
Air fare is cheap, hotel rates are reasonable

That was an opinion, not a challenge. A challenge would have all the details of setup procedure, all the gear required, time, place etc. But we all know the analog guys would never offer that challenge.

Audio myths debunked.....It doesn't need to be limited to this thread alone Mike. I am timing the excuses presented within a 24 hour window for the record BTW. Just for the record and the documentation, as you say.

But I do think we are at the point today with quad DSD, that a copy of the vinyl rig played back trough a good quad DSD capable DAC would be indistinguishable from the vinyl.
Why don't we start with this sir? Is this acceptable to you?

Tom

Audio myths debunked.....It doesn't need to be limited to this thread alone Mike.

Why don't we start with this sir? Is this acceptable to you?

Tom

That was an opinion, not a challenge.

Ok. Then can I say the myth would be in today digital playback (in future it may be possible), it will never be as good or as close as may be up to 90% of good analog playback. The analog playback is SOTA setup, reaching 100k?? Could we bust this claim as myth? Is anyone interested beside me?

As analog I am talking about vinyl, not tape.

A challenge would have all the details of setup procedure, all the gear required, time, place etc...
What is and what is not acceptable to your challenge is up to you sir. Just duke it out as to the requirements prior to the challenge so that the myth is debunked once and for all. Thank you sir.

In the meantime, come up with what it is you would like to debunk. It shouldn't be that hard for an intelligent person such as yourself. ;)

With that said, I think I'll slide out now....

Tom

I know no such thing. I am on record opposing such challenges. You have however thrown down the gauntlet complete with trash talk. I sympathize with Tom because I was baited into accepting a similar challenge with comparable results.

What is and what is not acceptable to your challenge is up to you sir. Just duke it out as to the requirements prior to the challenge so that the myth is debunked once and for all. Thank you sir.

In the meantime, come up with what it is you would like to debunk. It shouldn't be that hard for an intelligent person such as yourself. ;)

Tom

If I had all the equipment at my disposal to preform this challenge, I would do it in a heartbeat. But the myth of requiring an R2R to experience sound indistinguishable from master tape played back on R2R, with digital was already debunked. And this was preformed by folks who did have the right gear, and did have highly trained golden ears. So can't see why it would be any different with vinyl.

image.jpeg

I will help. I challenge you to be able to tell the difference between your cables and ones bought from Home Depth to 95% confidence. I will come to your place and conduct the test. I will pay my own way. If however, you are unable to accomplish what I just said, you donate half of my expenses to a charity I pick. Either way, I am out half of my expenses to satisfy your demand :(.

With that said, I think I'll slide out now....

Tom
While out, consider that you have completely confused Mike with respect to what audio camp he is in.

I am game for such a test too. I would also be open to this being PCM. Someone needs to volunteer putting all the gear together though as I am too lazy to do that part :). I will help/administer the test.

I am game for such a test too. I would also be open to this being PCM. Someone needs to volunteer putting all the gear together though and I am too lazy to do that part :). I will help/administer the test.

I would love to try with all digital formats and sample rates. Who knows maybe they wouldn't be able to tell the vinyl from even 16/44 PCM.

Have 1 of each. 16/44, 24/96, 24/192, 24/352.8 (DXD) DSD64, DSD128, DSD256.

See how many times out of a panel of 10-15 vinyl gods, that the vinyl is chosen from all of the formats replayed.

Another test that was proposed by Jinjuku was cable burn in. We buy a dozen fresh cables. Burn in half of them in with whatever protocol is suggested and ship both to whoever wants to test. You listen, and tell us which set of cables are burned in.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu