The official audio myth busting thread

I would love to try with all digital formats and sample rates. Who knows maybe they wouldn't be able to tell the vinyl from even 16/44 PCM.
You want to plan to get together to do this sometime in the future? I may be able to recruit Gary Koh for the high-end turntable and great recordings.

You want to plan to get together to do this sometime in the future? I may be able to recruit Gary Koh for the high-end turntable and great recordings.

I would love to but Bruce B would need to be there because I know for sure he has all the gear required to make this happen.

tumblr_mk6y3x4gTR1s3w6swo1_500.jpg

So this is not a one-sided set of ideas, I am also game for testing fidelity differences between digital audio interfaces. Are YOU game Mike? :D

Another test that was proposed by Jinjuku was cable burn in. We buy a dozen fresh cables. Burn in half of them in with whatever protocol is suggested and ship both to whoever wants to test. You listen, and tell us which set of cables are burned in.

How will you keep the non-burned in cables from becoming burned in?

Keep them out of hot weather?

I presume the required burn in conditioning will be tens of hours. A couple of minutes of listening should not get it there or cable burn in will not be needed as the first song played would do it.

Hehe. Too funny man. Too funny. Dang!!! :)

Tom

So this is not a one-sided set of ideas, I am also game for testing fidelity differences between digital audio interfaces. Are YOU game Mike? :D

Yes as long as all of the required gear is available, and all of the recording procedures are done the best way possible.

They would have to be stored inside a freezer when they travel. ...And warm up again @ room temperature when reaching their newer destination. ...Nah, that won't do.

This would though; all the listeners in the same room as the same day as all the cables present @ the same time in space.
Because! If you send a bunch of interconnect cables to a bunch of people, with all brand new except for one burn-in in each package, there could be different cable batches. :b

Don't want to go to Mike's place if there is snow. Or drag him down through it just the same. Early spring may be a good time.

Spring would be perfect. Here's the 3 things I would like to be debunked:

1: Can vinyl be recorded with digital, and played back on digital gear, and be indistinguishable from the original vinyl?

2: Can the sound of colored tube source gear (DAC's or Preamps) be reproduced indistinguishable through SS DAC's?

3: Can an audible difference be detected between different PCM and DSD formats of the same track sourced from the same vinyl?

I never once claimed that if you spend north of 100K that you can't get good sound out of a turntable setup. But I do think we are at the point today with quad DSD, that a copy of the vinyl rig played back trough a good quad DSD capable DAC would be indistinguishable from the vinyl.

Nor did I ever say that you claimed that . You are jumping to conclusions, as I thought you might. The myth that I want to see busted is that you have never listened to a good turntable. Your earlier post showing the last turntable that you listened to (at age 4) confirms the myth. You have no experience with SOTA analog to make the claims you make.

You name it. Let the forum decide.

Tom

Tom, The challenge that I propose is that a good Direct to Disk vinyl 45RPM LP be directly compared to a digital master of the same performance. Which is the more faithful reproduction of the original musical event? Not, does the digital sound indistinguishable from the analog. Which sounds more like real instruments. Period. The myth is that the quad DSD is "better" than the D2D vinyl LP played back on a SOTA analog front end in a transparent system.

Since Blizzard has not owned a turntable since he was four years old, the challenge would have to take place in a system like Mike L's or David's, or Steve's. Blizzard would have to bring his own digital gear. The other caveat is that those present would actually have to know what a real instrument sounds like. That would in fact be the third myth being busted if this challenge were to ever take place.

Last edited:
But I haven't presented any challenge yet. And nobody has as far as I've read.

But I can imagine we will never find any vinyl and tube guys presenting challenges vs digital and SS. This is because they would be too afraid to lose :)

You can read my challenge above. BTW, vinyl and SS go together just fine. I imagine tubes and digital do too.

No fear of losing. Just interested in learning.

Spring would be perfect. Here's the 3 things I would like to be debunked:

1: Can vinyl be recorded with digital, and played back on digital gear, and be indistinguishable from the original vinyl?

2: Can the sound of colored tube source gear (DAC's or Preamps) be reproduced indistinguishable through SS DAC's?

3: Can an audible difference be detected between different PCM and DSD formats of the same track sourced from the same vinyl?
1 and 3 sound good. I have a R2R deck we can also use for #3. #2 is not something I am convinced is doable.

Tom, The challenge that I propose is that a good Direct to Disk vinyl 45RPM LP be directly compared to a digital master of the same performance. Which is the more faithful reproduction of the original musical event? Not, does the digital sound indistinguishable from the analog. Which sound more like real. Period. The myth is that the quad DSD is "better" than the D2D vinyl LP played back on a SOTA analog front end in a transparent system.

Since Blizzard has not owned a turntable since he was four years old, the challenge would have to take place in a system like Mike L's or David's, or Steve's. Blizzard would have to bring his own digital gear. The other caveat is that those present would actually have to know what a real instrument sounds like. That would in fact be the third myth being busted if this challenge were to ever take place.

more likely to find a recording where there is a tape master and Quad dsd digital master from the same mic feed. so you are comparing native to format sourced recordings. one such recent recording is the Wave Kinetics Ilia Iten Debussy solo piano recording last spring in New York State. I have some of the Quad files of that which are very good. I've not yet got the tape. there will also be a tape sourced 45 pressing of it.

direct to disc 45rpm is a pretty tough thing to find. acquiring a good lathe and skills to use it is not trivial. you'd likely need Chad Kassem from Acoustic Sounds to set that up to have a chance to do it right. he has a number of dtd 45's (I have 4 or 5) but I don't think he did digital masters at the same time.

more likely to find a recording where there is a tape master and Quad dsd digital master from the same mic feed. so you are comparing native to format sourced recordings. one such recent recording is the Wave Kinetics Ilia Iten Debussy solo piano recording last spring in New York State. I have some of the Quad files of that which are very good. I've not yet got the tape. there will also be a tape sourced 45 pressing of it.

direct to disc 45rpm is a pretty tough thing to find. acquiring a good lathe and skills to use it is not trivial. you'd likely need Chad Kassem from Acoustic Sounds to set that up to have a chance to do it right. he has a number of dtd 45's (I have 4 or 5) but I don't think he did digital masters at the same time.

direct to disk 45 rpm, how about Hot Stix on M&K label

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu