The ***Official*** Progressive Rock Thread

spazmatron

Banned
Dec 4, 2015
Somerset, uk
lol, did you look in the TOS?
Don't be silly of course not:D

These music threads are sacramental. I have a few prog records, I will post when they are spinning. Be sure to tell me if they are not prog enough for this area!

Prog is a serious business!!

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
wow, what a great read ... I didn't even know this thread existed.

My first memories of Gabriel was early genesis, at a time when I wasn't really into yes or genesis, but my friends were devoted proggies, and they dragged me along to concerts. Peter on stage dressed as a flower, something to remember. When I listen to early genesis today, it's Phil Collin's very powerful percussion that impresses. As an example, listening to my fav Foxtrot, it's no wonder that later in life his hands failed him.

Genesis concerts were always sold-out here, but after Peter split, he came to town to promote his first solo LP. We didn't know what to expect from a concert point of view, would he do any genesis? He didn't, and the place was maybe half full at best, he dressed casually throughout and he only played new material. His portion of the concert didn't last much longer than an hour, if that. Later concerts, he had attained much more material and critical acclaim, became a household name, and all his concerts were sold out; still didn't perform any Gen.

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Did you see Peter perform any cover tunes? He'd been known to cover songs such as Ain't That Peculiar and All Day And All Of The Night.

Next up this afternoon... Earth And Fire, Song Of The Marching Children.

1765_foto1_product_groot.jpg

spazmatron

Banned
Dec 4, 2015
Somerset, uk
Steve Hackett ' Genesis revisited: live at Hammersmith '
Redbook

Buy me any cred round these parts

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
Did you see Peter perform any cover tunes? He'd been known to cover songs such as Ain't That Peculiar and All Day And All Of The Night.

Sorry Ron, can't recall, he very well could have, but these fading memories may have escaped me. I can say for certain he didn't play anything other than his first solo LP on first visit, song by song, IIRC, and that was that, no flowers, no covers, not even an encore. His next visits were much more entertaining, based on his ever growing success at that time, but again, no recollection of any covers.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
I agree with Alex. Gothic Impressions is his best. Par is a good guy and uber talented keyboardist. I remember when he flew to Philadelphia to see Emerson Lake & Palmer with my wife and I.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Hey Ken,

Just saw that there's a 2004 "remaster" of "Gothic Impressions". I only have the original. Have you compared the two?

thanks,
alex

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com

Next up this afternoon... Earth And Fire, Song Of The Marching Children.

View attachment 25359

Song Of The Marching Children - one of the all time great Mellotron albums.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Germany has produced its fair share of great prog. Neuschwanstein's Battlement is first up on the prog playlist today:

cover_33171815102008.jpg

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
And from California, Djam Karet and the wonderful album, The Devouring:

cover_232981282009.jpg

I've traveled half way around the world today :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing