The Return of Garrard!

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
We get it, you real like your Artisan Fidelity deck, we tend to like what we have spent a lot of money on.

ferrari275

Jan 18, 2018
United States
We get it, you real like your Artisan Fidelity deck, we tend to like what we have spent a lot of money on.

Kind sir, with due respect, my sentiments have nothing whatsoever to do with monetary expenditure. After all, this is the What's Best Form and we as members clearly all have refined tastes. :cool: In my view, build quality and analog playback satisfaction are fundamental, no matter the table chosen, however, the focus here was on Garrard. Although different beasts, I share a similar fondness about my current belt drives and direct drive which are derived from different generations, and all have unique merit. During the course of my personal audio journey, I am not ashamed to admit I've spent far more on less gratifying high end audio components at times over the past several decades, more than once in fact.

I chalk it up to apart of the journey!

Last edited:
Reactions: Lagonda

ferrari275

Jan 18, 2018
United States
Shindo 301 ($25,000) underside craftsmanship. Quite sad. This was the only point I was trying to make.

Shindo 301 under chassis.JPG

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Shindo 301 ($25,000) underside craftsmanship. Quite sad. This was the only point I was trying to make.

View attachment 53180

Oh dear!--Well I've owned two Shindo TT's and mine were not quite as bad as that--my second one was much cleaner-they must have got their act together:)--
I notice some changes to the engine room from your one pictured--is it a very early production run? plus my Plinths were sealed bottoms.
Yes I agree couple of Ken's "Mods" to the 301 were questionable( allowing the Baked semi stipple finish to cover the inner platter drive surface)
the Deck did produce some memorable playback.

BruceD

Attachments

• 301 new.jpg
    301 new.jpg
    331.7 KB · Views: 26
  • Shin8.jpg
    Shin8.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 25

ferrari275

Jan 18, 2018
United States
BruceD

Oh dear!--Well I've owned two Shindo TT's and mine were not quite as bad as that--my second one was much cleaner-they must have got their act together:)--
I notice some changes to the engine room from your one pictured--is it a very early production run? plus my Plinths were sealed bottoms.
Yes I agree couple of Ken's "Mods" to the 301 were questionable( allowing the Baked semi stipple finish to cover the inner platter drive surface)
the Deck did produce some memorable playback.

Relieved to hear Shindo's quality process apparently improved over the years....to be quite honest, the circa of their 301 shown I cannot recall offhand. I agree, hammerite grey paint finish applied to a platters inner running surface where the idler wheel engages makes little sense. If I recall correctly, that type of coating typically has a rather uneven surface.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
BruceD

Relieved to hear Shindo's quality process apparently improved over the years....to be quite honest, the circa of their 301 shown I cannot recall offhand. I agree, hammerite grey paint finish applied to a platters inner running surface where the idler wheel engages makes little sense. If I recall correctly, that type of coating typically has a rather uneven surface.

I've held my tongue on this until now but as i no longer have a horse in the Shindo race ---the dappled finish on the platter that extends to the inner rim was viewed as a big mistake by Terry O'Sullivan of Loricraft and Bob Mortimer( who's father designed the 301).

I sent my Platters to them for refinishing of the inner surface--the sonic result was not subtle.

BruceD

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing