The Sheffield Lab Drum & Track Disc?

Mitchco

Dec 4, 2011
Yes, I did the transfer of CCR - Chronicle as well.

Cool. Out of curiosity, and if you can say, what format did the tracks come in on? Meaning, 2 track analog master or digital and if digital what format? Was it a straight transfer or was there processing? Is there any info as to the origin of the files? I.e. which master(s) did they come from?

I have no problem purchasing hi-res transfers if they sound better than what was mastered on CD. Ideally, I would like to hear what the mixing engineer heard.

The issue is that I can't tell what it is that I am purchasing as there are no tech specs. What would be great is a blurb like the attached Producer/Engineer note when I downloaded TP's Damn the Torperdoes: "We made the FLAC files from the same high-resolution uncompressed 24-bit 96K master stereo files we used for the vinyl and Blu-Ray versions of Damn The Torpedoes: Deluxe Edition. When we compared those files to the FLAC’s, the waveforms tested out to be virtually identical. With the right system, you’ll be as close to being there as we can get you."

I know what I am getting and happy to pay the price! Sounds great too!

If you can't answer, I understand as it may be a conflict of interest. As an audiophile (and ex recording/mixing engineer http://www.thepikes.com/bio ) I am curious to know more about the transfer process and to better understand what it is that I am purchasing from a technical perspective.

Best regards,

Mitch

Attachments

• why_flac_dtt..pdf
    149.8 KB · Views: 364

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I've see 2 posted on A'gon by sellers... unless they didn't know what they had!

That might be the case. I don't think it was done D2D or analog..though you would know if you have the analog tapes :) I looked for the LP when the recording first came out. I seem to remember Sheffield was out of analog, certainly the d2d business, when Kodo drummers came out.

Grainger49

May 11, 2010
Knoxville, TN
Sorry to sidetrack the thread but it is good information to hear.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
That might be the case. I don't think it was done D2D or analog..though you would know if you have the analog tapes :) I looked for the LP when the recording first came out. I seem to remember Sheffield was out of analog, certainly the d2d business, when Kodo drummers came out.

It sold for $146 - 45rpm special CES demo disc.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Grainger49

May 11, 2010
Knoxville, TN
It isn't the whole album, just two versions of O-Daiko. But that is the best of the album, IMHO. But $150 for two versions of the same "song" is more than I will ever pay. I'll live with the CD.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Good afternoon, gentlemen. I just ran across this album today while ordering another album and through my research, I found this thread. Just to reconfirm, the link below is the one that Bruce remastered, correct?

http://www.amazon.com/Sheffield-Drum-Track-Disc-Master/dp/B003JG93DC/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Thanks in advance for any input on this. I'd like to pull the trigger but I also want to make sure that I'm ordering the right one.

Tom

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Good afternoon, gentlemen. I just ran across this album today while ordering another album and through my research, I found this thread. Just to reconfirm, the link below is the one that Bruce remastered, correct?

Tom

yes we did...

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Cool. Thanks, Bruce. I'll go ahead and order it now and I'll look forward to hearing it. Thanks again.

Tom

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The DXD remaster.

Tom

bmoura

Sep 6, 2013
yes we did...

Speaking of the FIM releases, does Winston have any plans to make his albums available as downloads? That would be a winner - especially with his original DSD recordings and excellent remasters.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Speaking of the FIM releases, does Winston have any plans to make his albums available as downloads? That would be a winner - especially with his original DSD recordings and excellent remasters.

There was rumor at RMAF that downloads were planned. I tried to convince him 3 years ago.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Hello Bruce. I'd like to go ahead and follow up on my observations of this disc. My hat is off to you, sir! What a great sounding recording. I have turned many a folks onto this since I got it in and please forgive me for not following up before now. If there were just one word I would use to describe the sound on this recording, it would simply be "superb". If only all recordings were like this....

Tom

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Thank-you so much Tom. It was a labor of love. I knew how iconic this was in the audiophile community and as they say in the medical field, first, do no harm.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Last edited:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Was searching reviews of this title and ran into our own forum :). What a delight to see that Bruce has done the mastering. Even though it was nearly $40 for a CD, I went ahead and ordered it.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY

http://www.amazon.com/Sheffield-Drum-Track-Disc-Master/dp/B003JG93DC/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Thanks in advance for any input on this. I'd like to pull the trigger but I also want to make sure that I'm ordering the right one.

Tom

I have this recording and Bruce is indeed listed on the "Production Data" page of "This album" in the album notes.

This is far better than the original CD.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I have the original D2D of the Sheffield Drum Record. I don't know if the Keltner and Tutt tracks are the same music as on the Drum & Track Disk, because they are direct to disk. On mine, seven minutes of music take up an entire side at 33 1/3 RPM. It is outstanding. Incredible dynamics and impact. This can really test a system's capabilities. Has anyone compared this to any digital version?

IMG_1258.JPG

Steve Bruzonsky

May 15, 2010
The Sheffield Drum and Track Record in 96-24 stereo just became available on HDTracks! Sounds amazing!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing