The State of High End Audio

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
just as you know many guys need to be able to say they have magico speakers and would feel quite naked if they had less well known brands.

As a Magico owner, I find this comment rather insulting. A used Mini II for $9-10K or a V2 for $7K represent exceptionally good values in my view and I don't think it is about perceived bragging rights. They are excellent speakers when properly set up with the right amplification and room. At the other end of the spectrum, the M Project is the best speaker that I have ever heard, but that is different story. And not only do they sound great, they measure well too.

"Naked", that is just a weird comment, with all due respect.

Purite Audio

banned
May 28, 2013
www.puriteaudio.co.uk
agree was just defending you from un fair attack. not just for you but because the post is nonsense imo

spirit did you listen with own music? as mr jones is very good at pairing music to his speakers.
Thanks Spaz I am pleased that you are my love child .
Keith.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
As a Magico owner, I find this comment rather insulting. A used Mini II for $9-10K or a V2 for $7K represent exceptionally good values in my view and I don't think it is about perceived bragging rights. They are excellent speakers when properly set up with the right amplification and room. At the other end of the spectrum, the M Project is the best speaker that I have ever heard, but that is different story. And not only do they sound great, they measure well too.

"Naked", that is just a weird comment, with all due respect.

Peter, don't be too offended by Spazmatron.
Tbh, he hacks everyone w/his wild misuse of spelling, syntax and grammar.
Shakespeare is spinning in his grave.

I'm afraid Magico is like BMW, in that Beamer owners do seem to strut their stuff, and have the **** taken out of them as they thunder past on the freeway. Nothing personal (well, not always).

Anyway, ignore Spaz, I'll berate him in private for such flagrant inappropriateness.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I beg to differ Dave. Don't want this thread to get derailed promoting a particular model.
Just to say as me and my 3 friends traipsed around the show, only attracted by 2 or 3 rooms, experiencing acute jadedness, we came across the Elac room, and stayed there for a good 40 mins.
Give me a free choice btwn the Elacs and the Muons, the Elacs in a flash.

Actually, Andrew agrees with me so I'll take that as confirmation my views are reasonable and most people are overhyping the ELACs. ELAC did a GREAT job marketing, that's for sure.

Also, KEFs have sounded bad recently, not a good comparison.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Actually, Andrew agrees with me so I'll take that as confirmation my views are reasonable and most people are overhyping the ELACs. ELAC did a GREAT job marketing, that's for sure.

OK. I felt they did a great job demonstrating them, tbh.
There was no marketing, we walked into the room. They played. We stayed. And stayed. And stayed. We applauded.
Good to know you know the real picture :b

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I think if one is being honest and realistic about expectations we'd have a lot less audiophiles buying for "status". To spend 3,4 & 5 times the price on a piece that provides a tiny marginal improvement is a sure sign of that affliction. It should be noted this is not exclusive to only those with the means to purchase ultra high-end, as it crosses all levels of audio investment.

I don't look as cool to some in my $20 cotton/polyester button-down Kirkland dress shirt, but it wears as well and lasts as long as it's $75 logo-emblazoned Polo equivalent.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Sssh Johnny, don't be telling the world about the excellent dress shirts from Kirkland!!:eek: You can even get 100% cotton ones for $17- here in the US! I have thrown out some of my darn expensive Nordstrom shirts in favor of these....LOL.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Sssh Johnny, don't be telling the world about the excellent dress shirts from Kirkland!!:eek: You can even get 100% cotton ones for $17- here in the US! I have thrown out some of my darn expensive Nordstrom shirts in favor of these....LOL.

:D

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
OK. I felt they did a great job demonstrating them, tbh.
There was no marketing, we walked into the room. They played. We stayed. And stayed. And stayed. We applauded.
Good to know you know the real picture :b

You didn't know about ELAC and know who the designer was before entering the room? If so, you are one of the only ones in all of the audio world who had no idea what the ELAC speakers were and who designed them before hearing them.

And to be clear, I'm not knocking the speakers, I agree they are probably the best speakers for the price on the planet, but the truth is they simply do not compete with speakers 10x their price, not even close.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I think if one is being honest and realistic about expectations we'd have a lot less audiophiles buying for "status". To spend 3,4 & 5 times the price on a piece that provides a tiny marginal improvement is a sure sign of that affliction. It should be noted this is not exclusive to only those with the means to purchase ultra high-end, as it crosses all levels of audio investment.

I don't look as cool to some in my $20 cotton/polyester button-down Kirkland dress shirt, but it wears as well and lasts as long as it's $75 logo-emblazoned Polo equivalent.

Costco is awesome. Also, the merino wool trail socks are made in the same factory as Smartwool, you get 4 pair for less than the price of one pair of Smartwool socks.

Cheese (and many other foods) are half the price of supermarkets...

They also pay their employees a living wage so I don't have to feel bad about shopping there. Wal Mart makes me feel dirty just walking in the door... :)

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Costco is awesome. Also, the merino wool trail socks are made in the same factory as Smartwool, you get 4 pair for less than the price of one pair of Smartwool socks.

Cheese (and many other foods) are half the price of supermarkets...

They also pay their employees a living wage so I don't have to feel bad about shopping there. Wal Mart makes me feel dirty just walking in the door... :)

I know, I worked there for 15 years. :D

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I didn't Dave :eek:.
Actually, this was serendipitous, I went into the room w/NO preconceptions, in fact my expectation bias was negative, seeing such small spkrs w/a pretty minimal system in a pretty bare room filled me w/advance skepticism, esp based on so many preceding ho hum sounds.
Ok, maybe I exaggerate re the 10x comparison.
But if audio is truly going to have a renaissance and appeal to people who are looking for true value/performance, the B6's should be in the box seat.
I'd take them over a whole host of speakers in the £3k category.
If you find them not as much as a knockout as I do, so be it.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
No, he played me like a violin.

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina
So potential buyers of the Elac B6 should have the same taste in music as Mr. Jones? Or you can only listen to what sounds good on them?

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
So potential buyers of the Elac B6 should have the same taste in music as Mr. Jones? Or you can only listen to what sounds good on them?

No, Andrew has always been willing to play music brought in by show attendees, but many people do not bring music. This baffles me and many others as it's impossible to judge without hearing music you are very familiar with. If you go by the music brought by the vendors it's going to be carefully chosen to show off the system in the best light possible.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing