the VAC Von Schweikert Room

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Wasn't the vinyl front end exactly the same as last year? I thought it was.

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
Wasn't the vinyl front end exactly the same as last year? I thought it was.
It was the same as last year. We were playing a lot of remaster albums that the original albums would lack in soundstage. Very track dependent. The new test pressings we played of Dire Strait's was massive in soundstage. I don't know what vinyl we were playing when he visited our room. We did have some amazing digital tracks though.

Reactions: Alrainbow

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
It was the same as last year. We were playing a lot of remaster albums that the original albums would lack in soundstage. Very track dependent. The new test pressings we played of Dire Strait's was massive in soundstage. I don't know what vinyl we were playing when he visited our room. We did have some amazing digital tracks though.
Hello we spoke there it was an great sound I just felt the vinyl was a drop off. But again it was only a 5 tracks on popped in and out to hear that were vinyl.

Reactions: Leif S

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
I don’t know them very well. All I can say on this digital track Le Temps Passe by Michel Jonasz. https://www.shazam.com/track/66616120/le-temps-passe
It was an amazing sound. After all vinyl was way below this in a big way.
Ok lol
That in my opinion is an incredible and well recorded live performance and I agree with you. The soundstage, layering, bass performance, depth and just the arrangement of that song is fantastic. Yes that beat many of the albums we played. But not all of them

Reactions: Alrainbow

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Ok and I’m sorry for in any way downing the system. On that track it was above any system I ever heard. The ones I did hear all were still very good and were yielding more details than most I ever heard. I guess it’s tough to walk in on the best lol. By the way I bought the vinyl can’t find the cd yet only found one for 285.00
Vinyl was cheap at 45.00.

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
The new test pressings we played of Dire Strait's was massive in soundstage.

Hi Leif. I missed that one. Can you give the details of what that release will be?

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
Ok and I’m sorry for in any way downing the system. On that track it was above any system I ever heard. The ones I did hear all were still very good and were yielding more details than most I ever heard. I guess it’s tough to walk in on the best lol. By the way I bought the vinyl can’t find the cd yet only found one for 285.00
Oh no please don't apologize. I actually agree with you in a lot of ways. Usually when I do audio shows I want to play music that shows the system the best way possible. Michel Jonasz is definitely one of those songs. This year we played a lot of music that I normally wouldn't play at a show. I love Led Zeppelin, would I play them at a show???? It's certainly not my first choice lol. The remaster pressings that were played in my opinion were much better than the original and I enjoyed them very much, but do they show what this system is capable of? I have to keep what I'm listening to in context. This system isn't going to artificially create a larger soundstage than whats in the recording. I'm not making this comment to criticize any of the pressings we were playing, and despite how bad many of these artist were recorded, some of these remasters
have greatly improved the listening experience, but it makes me think of that expression "Polish a turd, it's still a turd lol
The MOFI pressings of the not yet released Dire Straights knocked my socks off. I had a lot of fun.

Greg Weaver played some of his favorite pressing on Saturday night of some fantastic classic rock and some classical. These by no means are audiophile recordings. It's just great music and I think the people who attended liked hearing music different than what you typically hear at audio shows.

By the way....were you in the room when the little orange speakers were in-between the ULTRA 11's?

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
Hi Leif. I missed that one. Can you give the details of what that release will be?
Hi Tony,
I am not privy to that information. I may be able to find out. But these were referred to as test pressings. I don't know if that means it will be the pressing that is released.

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
Wow!!!!
I didn't know it was that much

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I was there . I heard something called the Endeavor. Everything was first rate. One speaker was a beautiful Robin egg blue. To die for. Unfortunately it was static.

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
I was there . I heard something called the Endeavor. Everything was first rate. One speaker was a beautiful Robin egg blue. To die for. Unfortunately it was static.
Gregadd.....did I get to speak with you at the show? I would of hooked the Blue ULTRA 55's up for you

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
We did not meet. I was on a tight schedule. I was literally asked to leave(politely) at4pm Sunday. That was the only day I was able to attend

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
We did not meet. I was on a tight schedule. I was literally asked to leave(politely) at4pm Sunday. That was the only day I was able to attend
I'm sorry. When 4pm Sunday hits we have to start packing to be out of the room on time:(

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I am sorry. I was unclear. I visited your room first. I visited Gary of Genesis Audio last. I am always treated nice there.

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
By the way....were you in the room when the little orange speakers were in-between the ULTRA 11's?

Cough, cough. Yes, tell us about those, Leif. :D

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Oh no please don't apologize. I actually agree with you in a lot of ways. Usually when I do audio shows I want to play music that shows the system the best way possible. Michel Jonasz is definitely one of those songs. This year we played a lot of music that I normally wouldn't play at a show. I love Led Zeppelin, would I play them at a show???? It's certainly not my first choice lol. The remaster pressings that were played in my opinion were much better than the original and I enjoyed them very much, but do they show what this system is capable of? I have to keep what I'm listening to in context. This system isn't going to artificially create a larger soundstage than whats in the recording. I'm not making this comment to criticize any of the pressings we were playing, and despite how bad many of these artist were recorded, some of these remasters
have greatly improved the listening experience, but it makes me think of that expression "Polish a turd, it's still a turd lol
The MOFI pressings of the not yet released Dire Straights knocked my socks off. I had a lot of fun.

Greg Weaver played some of his favorite pressing on Saturday night of some fantastic classic rock and some classical. These by no means are audiophile recordings. It's just great music and I think the people who attended liked hearing music different than what you typically hear at audio shows.

No I don’t recall seeing them in your room I just checked my pics and video.
I had a bunch of analog productions albums too. but I don’t know you guys and the scale of your setup was very intimidating to me to even ask anything. After we talked about that album I did feel much better. I should have asked you.
You did play a bunch of rock and yes while not like that album it still was amazing audio.
in part when you’re system is as refined and as massive like it was. Anything you play shows. I use the term no where to hide. it’s why I asked you did you have tape lol. Anyway I’m not one to trash a setup that did play all tracks in an amazing scale and presence.
By the way you did or do play at times with LAMPI I did see videos of how grand it was then as well.

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
Yes yes. All very impressive, but I kind of like the unassuming view shown here. :)

86530559-7199-4114-92B2-FDDFE5D4CD99.jpeg

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Wow!!!!
I didn't know it was that much
Yes oddly I do have the digital already when I buy I tend to fill up a basket so to Speak to play latter
I guess I never played it. Having 30 TB of music is sick anyway lol. Again thanks for the replies and your a kind man in person.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing