This Corona Virus Mania is Just Too Much, We All Need to Chill!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
There are other perspectives close to mine on what is going on, this isn’t intended to be political just a POV.

http://www.anncoulter.com/columns/2020-03-25.html

david

I love Ann Coulter. She has the balls to go on Bill Maher's show in front of a very liberal audience and defend her positions. She's also one of the few that is willing to sit on the panel as well.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
For sure, I’m not downplaying it just that I don’t see it as the hopeless zombie apocalypse that it gets sold as by some media outlets.

david
I totally agree that it’s not a apocalyptical event, and if it is managed correctly
can be overcome in a couple of months, as long as the infection is spread
out over a period of time that gives the healthcare system time to manage
it, most will survive.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Ya I dunno... based on my family that has had it, it's pretty damn infectious. But not as deadly as it's made out to be. If one thing is correct it is that the biggest issue with it is that it's like having 2 flu seasons at once so it's a huge strain on the medical system.

It's not another "flu". The problem is that it's not just the mortality rate that is 10-30 x higher (exact range yet to be determined) than the seasonal flu. What makes this so dangerous is that the transmission rate is so high; as you say it's pretty damn infectious. SARS, which was even deadlier, had a low transmission rate, also because a person was only infectious after developing severe symptoms. Yet with the current Coronavirus you are contagious way before developing symptoms. With the flu the transmission rate is 1-1.5, i.e. one infected person infects up to 1.5 others. But with this one it is 2-2.5, which is brutal (the spread increases more exponentially than linearly from a rate of 1.5 to 2.5). You want to have millions dead without flattening the curve, be my guest, but without me, please. Even if you flatten the curve the estimates are now about 100,000 deaths, which is 5 times the flu. But to achieve this, you have to do everything right, strict social distancing for a few more weeks, keeping hospital personnel from getting infected, a huge number of ventilators etc. Not sure if we can achieve that.

So yes, this has to be taken very seriously, and I don't think the media overhype it. Because, again, if we don't do everything right, which is questionable that we will, the death toll will be *much* higher. The hospital system is already overwhelmed in some places, and this is still with the peak two weeks away. At that time, it will be complete mayhem. And what happens in NYC now, will happen elsewhere in the country a few weeks later. There is no escape.

The point with overwhelming the hospital system, which is such an urgent problem since the virus disease is so care intensive, is that everything will become deadlier -- heart disease, cancer, diabetes, organ failure, car accidents, you name it.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Calm is appropriate in any crisis.
Chills may be one of the symptoms.
We were lied to for political and economic reasons.
That means needless illness death.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
It's not another "flu". The problem is that it's not just the mortality rate that is 10-30 x higher (exact range yet to be determined) than the seasonal flu. What makes this so dangerous is that the transmission rate is so high; as you say it's pretty damn infectious. SARS, which was even deadlier, had a low transmission rate, also because a person was only infectious after developing severe symptoms. Yet with the current Coronavirus you are contagious way before developing symptoms. With the flu the transmission rate is 1-1.5, i.e. one infected person infects up to 1.5 others. But with this one it is 2-2.5, which is brutal (the spread increases more exponentially than linearly from a rate of 1.5 to 2.5). You want to have millions dead without flattening the curve, be my guest, but without me, please. Even if you flatten the curve the estimates are now about 100,000 deaths, which is 5 times the flu. But to achieve this, you have to do everything right, strict social distancing for a few more weeks, keeping hospital personnel from getting infected, a huge number of ventilators etc. Not sure if we can achieve that.

So yes, this has to be taken very seriously, and I don't think the media overhype it. Because, again, if we don't do everything right, which is questionable that we will, the death toll will be *much* higher. The hospital system is already overwhelmed in some places, and this is still with the peak two weeks away. At that time, it will be complete mayhem. And what happens in NYC now, will happen elsewhere in the country a few weeks later. There is no escape.

The point with overwhelming the hospital system, which is such an urgent problem since the virus disease is so care intensive, is that everything will become deadlier -- heart disease, cancer, diabetes, organ failure, car accidents, you name it.

I wish this was the longest joke post of the year. You didn't even argue against what I said, you just proclaimed you were. I think I'll start calling it flu.2 since even if I don't I get accused I am.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I wish this was the longest joke post of the year. You didn't even argue against what I said, you just proclaimed you were. I think I'll start calling it flu.2 since even if I don't I get accused I am.

You said "it's like having 2 flu seasons at once". We already have one, so this would be the second "flu". But it's not.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
CONTEXT, Al. When discussing the load on the medical system you're not being explicit about symptoms - it's an analogy. Also the word "like", I thought everyone was clear on it after the whole valley-girl thing when I was a kid.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Guys, I started this thread to bring levity to the situation not to make it into another existential discussion. I don't know who this corny person is but he's got some records!

david

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Medical News We Can Use

That's the forum section your thread is in David, and not in the Joke section.
_____

Just switch it in the Joke section. So that if someone post medical news he's not off topic or on politic. Yeah?

parkcaka

Sep 11, 2016
Istanbul
If you go to any hospital in an area where the virus struck real hard, you'll wish you had a zombie apocalypse. These hospitals do not function as normal hospitals anymore. All doctors from all professions work on Covid-19 patients. Doctors working 7/24 on these patients are getting sick (some of them die) and replaced by healthy ones until they are burned out/sick/dead. There are patients who are treated on the bare floor in hallways. There are body bags everywhere because you can't transfer the dead to their relatives. Bodies have to be buried by officials without relatives. They are carried by military trucks to rural sites for burial in some cases. AND THIS HAPPENS IN THE CENTER OF EUROPE not in Afghanistan. In Italy, France, Spain there are hospitals that lose +20 patients in just one night! You don't want to have a heart attack or brake your leg if you live in one of these towns.

Hospitals that are hit by Covid-19 are like places you can only imagine in World War 3. The difference is you don't really get what is going on until it hits you. It's just a flu until then. They are like deadly road accidents. People are always dying what's the deal right?

This time please listen to scientists. Doctors. No, this is not like flu. This is not like car accidents or shark attacks that kill thousands each year. This is massively bigger than anything they have seen in their lifetime. They are appalled by how big this is. Believe the science, please.

If you are peace at home, I wish you the health & the best but just because you feel safe doesn't mean the worst thing since WW2 has struck us and people are trying hard to stop this virus from spreading to other areas/hospitals.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
If you go to any hospital in an area where the virus struck real hard, you'll wish you had a zombie apocalypse. These hospitals do not function as normal hospitals anymore. All doctors from all professions work on Covid-19 patients. Doctors working 7/24 on these patients are getting sick (some of them die) and replaced by healthy ones until they are burned out/sick/dead. There are patients who are treated on the bare floor in hallways. There are body bags everywhere because you can't transfer the dead to their relatives. Bodies have to be buried by officials without relatives. They are carried by military trucks to rural sites for burial in some cases. AND THIS HAPPENS IN THE CENTER OF EUROPE not in Afghanistan. In Italy, France, Spain there are hospitals that lose +20 patients in just one night! You don't want to have a heart attack or brake your leg if you live in one of these towns.

Hospitals that are hit by Covid-19 are like places you can only imagine in World War 3. The difference is you don't really get what is going on until it hits you. It's just a flu until then. They are like deadly road accidents. People are always dying what's the deal right?

This time please listen to scientists. Doctors. No, this is not like flu. This is not like car accidents or shark attacks that kill thousands each year. This is massively bigger than anything they have seen in their lifetime. They are appalled by how big this is. Believe the science, please.

If you are peace at home, I wish you the health & the best but just because you feel safe doesn't mean the worst thing since WW2 has struck us and people are trying hard to stop this virus from spreading to other areas/hospitals.
Again, I'm not dismissing it's seriousness just see the fear of and reaction to worse than the virus itself. There are two ways to look at this, number of deaths or number of recoveries. I'm not at peace at home but not because of fear of the virus but fear of what we have to deal with if we burrow in too deep and too long.

There is actual good news too.

https://techstartups.com/2020/03/28...3KjVmu8UvJBGg3g_1Ki93hkkCXtopxIZE9I0fYnWvmroY

david

Last edited:
Reactions: tima

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Reactions: ddk

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Reactions: ddk and Lagonda

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Medical News We Can Use

That's the forum section your thread is in David, and not in the Joke section.
_____

Just switch it in the Joke section. So that if someone post medical news he's not off topic or on politic. Yeah?
You know i love you Bob, but you
telling someone they are posting in
the wrong thread, is definitely a case of the kettle calling someone black ;)

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014

Parcarka thanks for your perspective. Most of us are lucky enough to have not been in a worst hit area yet.

Just not sure why everyone is in such a hurry to call the outcome of this? At this point I would think not enough is yet known to really project the outcome for those areas not yet hit... but the fact that this can clearly go very bad should surely make us not ever underestimate it.

No matter how big this ends up being here we can still choose to contribute to minimise this virus or just ignore. As to projecting the outcome there are no prizes for just being hypothetically right if we aren’t making a positive difference by our actions when the reality in the outcomes are in the numbers of people dying at any rate.

As for arguing various projections it strikes me as something of a hubris, best we admit that we honestly just don’t have that information yet. This isn’t something as small as analogue v digital. This is about people dying. In these circumstances how can we ever equate being right with winning.

The only people winning in this are the ones who are actually out there and helping others and those helping to save lives. The rest of us may just be relatively helpless spectators with a range of yet to be validated opinions about how this may go.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing