To Sub Or Not To Sub, That Is The Question

I am pushing 87db speakers that have hybrid Lattice tweeter and go from 32 Hz to 40 kHz with 6 Ohms average 3.2 Ohms minimum.

I had JL F112v with CR1 Crossover. I simply could not get the subs dialed in. I called JL audio, you would need a PHD from NASA to get these subs to dial in. I gave up and am disconnected them. Running speakers full range and things sound more clear for sure.

I am contemplating buying the Rel Carbons.

Question: Some experts say (i) Dont use subs you are adding complexity and getting in the way of the spekears (ii) add subs for soundstage and it will open up speakers with less stress. Crossover at 50hz, 60hz, no do it at 30hz with low gain. No add more gain.

To boot, there are almost no experts that actually no how to work the crossover and the JL subs. Their implied marketshare for 2 channel must be half of rel given the lack of expertise.

Experts also say "no one uses JLaudio for 2 channel its just for movies, they are too slow. Need Rel."

I am under the impression that 9/10 times the best sounding rooms at shows do not use subs. If this is incorrect would want to know. Theoretically if dealers are trying to sell their gear they would have an incentive to pull out all the stops to make the room sound as good as possible.

I am dealing with 19x11x9 foot room.

So, to sub or not to sub, that is the question.
I just read your question and skipped all the other answers. I had two JL Audio F113 subs for my Wilson Max 3 speakers. They never really helped. I've upgraded to Wilson XLF which offer much better sound at all frequencies, but cause detrimental room interactions in the bass in my 18 x 46 ft room with essentially near field seating at 11 feet from each speaker. After years of resisting, I commissioned my friend JR Boisclair of Wally Analog in Santa Rosa, CA. By distributing bass around the room with 4 bass speakers, one set to reverse phase, many of the bass resonances have been reduced, improving the clarity of the midrange and treble. It also has improved the power and depth of low bass. You cannot do any of this with one or two sub woofers. A swarm, or distributed bass array, set up by an expert is the best path to better bass.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing