To Sub Or Not To Sub, That Is The Question

Subwoofers are resonant devices that depend entirely on high moving mass and creating efficiency via of resonance! Common sense dictates that any form of resonance is not controlled by the input signal! Please read about the solution to resonance, physical size, integration and room issues.

www.tbisubwoofers.com
I have never thought about subwoofers as resonant devices aside from port and box tuning. A resonant circuit is a significantly different thing to me. High moving mass does not necessarily lead to high efficiency; it is more dependent upon the volume of the box and any porting (there is resonance at the port, and a sealed box has a resonance point in conjunction with the driver parameters, but the vast majority of operation is not at the resonance frequency).

Bass extension and overall efficiency is a combination of driver and box parameters. And generally the problem with distortion occurs at higher levels, not the lowest signal, which requires less movement and thus reduces distortion. Drivers do not have crossover distortion so touted in amplifiers as causing problems at low audio levels (though that is largely a myth, not a subwoofer topic).

There are physical rules like Hoffman's Law limiting the efficiency one can obtain from a small driver such as you propose. And Helmholtz, T/S, and other formulas for designing speakers. Do you have any white papers or technical articles describing your approach?

Subwoofers are resonant devices that depend entirely on high moving mass and creating efficiency via of resonance! Common sense dictates that any form of resonance is not controlled by the input signal! Please read about the solution to resonance, physical size, integration and room issues.

www.tbisubwoofers.com

Huh? So are musical instruments. How do you think you tune them?

Rob :)

Okay, so bass resonants in a room. Not sure how you overcome the physics to say your 20HZ or whatever frequency Sub output resonates less In a room than another sub.

The room is the room.

If you are saying your subs enclosure resonates less than others, okay, prove it. Show us the data.

I have never thought about subwoofers as resonant devices aside from port and box tuning. A resonant circuit is a significantly different thing to me. High moving mass does not necessarily lead to high efficiency; it is more dependent upon the volume of the box and any porting (there is resonance at the port, and a sealed box has a resonance point in conjunction with the driver parameters, but the vast majority of operation is not at the resonance frequency).

Bass extension and overall efficiency is a combination of driver and box parameters. And generally the problem with distortion occurs at higher levels, not the lowest signal, which requires less movement and thus reduces distortion. Drivers do not have crossover distortion so touted in amplifiers as causing problems at low audio levels (though that is largely a myth, not a subwoofer topic).

There are physical rules like Hoffman's Law limiting the efficiency one can obtain from a small driver such as you propose. And Helmholtz, T/S, and other formulas for designing speakers. Do you have any white papers or technical articles describing your approach?
it is possible that the higher moving mass that the fellow was talking about was either air in a port, or it was a passive radiator with mass on the diaphragm… (that is my guess).

it is possible that the higher moving mass that the fellow was talking about was either air in a port, or it was a passive radiator with mass on the diaphragm… (that is my guess).
Did not read like it to me, and the design is using 6.5" drivers so apparently lower mass, but all I've seen so far is marketing without any real description of the innovation (technical details) so can't say. Some of the claims appear to defy physics but again without detail it is impossible to review the claims and design. They may not want to release details pending a patent, or ever if they do not plan to patent it.

A passive radiator would still appear to be a "resonator" in their eyes based upon the original post. Maybe a worse resonator since it is not driven.

Reactions: Holmz

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing