To Sub Or Not To Sub, That Is The Question

I’m not trying to further my cause! I
That is hard to accept but, on the other hand, nothing to be ashamed of.

BTW, are there really reviews on this forum? All I see are comments and lively discussion.

That is hard to accept but, on the other hand, nothing to be ashamed of.

BTW, are there really reviews on this forum? All I see are comments and lively discussion.
I really hope that you get to understand my cause! There is an objective approach to bass reproduction! First you have to minimize any mechanical resonances in your subwoofer. That is not currently the case and is why this sub no sub forum exists! Subwoofers are resonate devices by design!

I really hope that you get to understand my cause! There is an objective approach to bass reproduction! First you have to minimize any mechanical resonances in your subwoofer. That is not currently the case and is why this sub no sub forum exists! Subwoofers are resonate devices by design!
https://www.stereotimes.com/post/tbi-magellan-viii-su-subwoofer/

This is a review of our Magellan VII subwoofer in early days. This was the first use of the technology currently used in MS-6P. We have been researching further and have made many additional breakthroughs. In reading this you will see what our continued goals are. I am aiming this information at audiophiles that are obviously not satisfied with adding subs!

You see the graph! Let’s try 32 grams in any alignment with a 6.5 inch and have a nice sine wave at any level. You need mass and size for current resonant subwoofers! The subwoofer operating at resonance is sensitive to room modes and enhances them. All speakers act as a microphone and when operating at resonance it is inviting stimulation by external pressures! Most of the participants in this forum are in the sub or not sub! If the current theory was effective everyone would have their bass extended and be happy! That is not what I am reading here! Innovation is necessary to acoustically ground the driver! This reduces vibration and the accumulation of unrelated pressure that modulates the diaphragm! You know the boxy sound everyone complains about! A subwoofer is the pinnacle of this issue!

I see the graph and it tells me nothing. Our subwoofers create nice sine waves at levels way higher than any 6.5" driver could ever do. And your driver isn't especially light per cm^2 of area, meaning it's not pushing a lot more air per g of driver than a larger one.

We have a dual opposing subwoofer, meaning basically zero vibration and resonance. For fun I created a graph of it in a similar format as yours. Unfortunately this doesn't tell anyone anything.

1723879256055.png

Yes, bad subwoofers do exist, but competent, musical subwoofers already exist as well. The reason people aren't using them for music isn't because there's a problem with them, it's a combination of various subwoofer myths and the fact that properly integrating subwoofers is difficult.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing