To Sub Or Not To Sub, That Is The Question

I hope that I answered your question concerning the benefit of the room relative to enclosure grounding!
The room is reacting to the driver not the driver reacting to the room.
Ah. How about showing us those measurements along with a description of the context?
i attached a third octave graph with a 75 hz crossover no filters! This shows a flat response with a bump at 80 Hz. DSP can handle this no problem but no modes of relevance. This is with the MS-6P at wall floor boundary and microphone on the other side of the room about 3ft from the wall. I don’t focus on small variations within each band. Spectral response is based on our hearing and is a standard especially in room measurements.

Attachments

• IMG_0585.png
    IMG_0585.png
    141.9 KB · Views: 2

i attached a third octave graph with a 75 hz crossover no filters! This shows a flat response with a bump at 80 Hz. DSP can handle this no problem but no modes of relevance. This is with the MS-6P at wall floor boundary and microphone on the other side of the room about 3ft from the wall. I don’t focus on small variations within each band. Spectral response is based on our hearing and is a standard especially in room measurements.

Then we're back to you actually saying that the room modes are reduced through this technology, which I find very difficult believe without quite extensive proof. The graph you posted is nowhere near proof. We need a high definition (no smoothing) graph with a normal sub vs your sub in the same position in the room, measured from the listening position, showing that your subwoofer excites the room differently (less) than a normal subwoofer.

Reactions: DonH50

Hearing does not follow 1/3-octave smoothing in the bass region; I do not recall that being a measurement standard. Small variations in the bass region are discernable. Why is the microphone not at the listening position? Or is that your listening position?

DSP, or analog EQ, can readily handle peaks since they are usually 6 dB or less; it is nulls that are the issue since they can be quite deep. Nulls from room modes also tend to be narrow so 1/3-octave smoothing will effectively mask those.

Thanks @sigbergaudio for the right patent, no idea how the numbers were glitched in my search. All I have read to date indicates it is affecting the subwoofer itself, not somehow eliminating or circumventing room modes.

Reactions: MarkusBarkus
...that was the thrust of my comment above. Great if the tech is helping the driver/enclosure from distorting, but you're still pushing out waveforms that do whatever they do to your room/ears.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing