To switch or not to switch? Melco S-100 or Innuos Phoenix NET switch?

Varadero xl 1000 v

Nov 18, 2017
Both my Nds ( streaming dac) and Melco are connected to a switch. So in my case I don’t need the Phoenix USB.
I understand what you are saying. But pheonixUSB is another implementation, compared to that of PhoenixNET. Whatever connections we have, I think the external clock will help a lot ...

Frenchrooster

Jan 14, 2012
France
I understand what you are saying. But pheonixUSB is another implementation, compared to that of PhoenixNET. Whatever connections we have, I think the external clock will help a lot ...
I have no really an external dac . Nds is streaming dac, a streamer and dac in one box. My Melco is used only as a Nas. I use no usb neither spdif cable. Only Ethernet cables.

Reactions: Varadero xl 1000 v

Gunnar

VIP/Donor
Mar 24, 2021
Grand Est France
@Frenchrooster Yes important to have an open mind and not just judge.

I personally believe that the “Switch and what is around it” will be more and more important considering that for example Qobuz stream in 192/24. Maybe 352/24 is not far away?

All posts i have read in this Forum are professional. Agree with your comment.

Reactions: Frenchrooster

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany

Blackmorec

Feb 1, 2019
Yes, you are right. It’s not the appropriate thread here.
May as well answer the question as the Audiophilleo is an entirely different animal.

You would use an Innuos Phoenix USB to feed a DAC with optimised USB input. You would use the Audiophilleo to feed a DAC with optimized SPDIF input.

Essentially the Innuos is used to optimized the USB feed to the DAC and the Audiophilleo is used to convert a USB signal to SPDIF format.

Last edited:
Reactions: Frenchrooster

Frenchrooster

Jan 14, 2012
France
Hi guys,
i received the PhoenixNet today.
but connecting problems : I first connected the Innuos to the router, with the input deserved for it ( in). Then connected the Naim Nds to the Phoenix and my Melco ( Nas) to the Phoenix : my Nds says » no network « . I rebooted all, first the router, waited, then Melco and Nds. Still « no network « .
then I connected the Nds to the Melco direct switch ( the Melco has 2 switches) , the Melco connected also to the Phoenix : I could have my library playing, using the remote of my Nds or the buttons on the Nds screen.
but impossible to use the Naim app: can’t find my Nds. i use an IPad Pro , connected via Wifi to the network, the same network as the router.
I deleted the app, rebooted all, but still the same, the Naim app doesn’t find my Naim streamer.
Strange?
maybe @Gunnar could help, or someone. Thanks.

Gunnar

VIP/Donor
Mar 24, 2021
Grand Est France
@Frenchrooster Strange. Have you tried connecting the Phoenix directly to the NDS without passing through the Melco? If that works then the Phoenix should be OK.

My setup and what I found sounding best was (Backwards) ND555 <- ER <- Melco <- EE8 <- Netgear Skyhawk which is used for the rest of our house. So my ER (your PhoenixNET) is between the streamer and the server. Give it a try.
Not sure it helps but ....
Good luck

Gunnar

VIP/Donor
Mar 24, 2021
Grand Est France
@Frenchrooster . No mobile to replace the IPad Pro? I have also an IPad Pro but have found that sometimes it will not connect to the Melco. No idea why, Then I use my mobile instead

Frenchrooster

Jan 14, 2012
France
@Frenchrooster Strange. Have you tried connecting the Phoenix directly to the NDS without passing through the Melco? If that works then the Phoenix should be OK.

My setup and what I found sounding best was (Backwards) ND555 <- ER <- Melco <- EE8 <- Netgear Skyhawk which is used for the rest of our house. So my ER (your PhoenixNET) is between the streamer and the server. Give it a try.
Not sure it helps but ....
Good luck
I had the ER before ( still but disconnected now) and all was working.
if my Melco and Nds are connected to the Phoenix, it‘s written « no network « on the Nds screen.
but if the Nds is connected to the Melco player switch, I can play my music on the Melco using my Nds remote. But not the app, as the app says « can’t find « the Nds.
i will try to reboot my IPad this evening, but it’s strange. this morning, with the ER , all was fine.

Gunnar

VIP/Donor
Mar 24, 2021
Grand Est France
@Frenchrooster Does it work now?
If not try to put the lan cables: router-> Melco in ** Melco out -> Phoenix in ** Phoenix out -> NDS
Just as a try. And if it works I guess you will here difference in sound.

Frenchrooster

Jan 14, 2012
France
@Frenchrooster Does it work now?
If not try to put the lan cables: router-> Melco in ** Melco out -> Phoenix in ** Phoenix out -> NDS
Just as a try. And if it works I guess you will here difference in sound.
I haven’t thought of that possibility. If I connect the Melco out, it’s the player port. so you suggest to connect the player port to the Innuos, then from Innuos to Nds?
I can try this evening. But don’t know if I have enough length of cable....

Gunnar

VIP/Donor
Mar 24, 2021
Grand Est France
@Frenchrooster Yes, that what I meant. Put, maybe the word "install" is better, the Innuos between the Melco and the NDS. The Melco will work as in past but prior the NDS you have now a top switch with an excellent clock and LPS.

Between is what I found with my ER as best sounding. Marcus, our Swedish friend has his EE8 as me "between". Jonas also.

I guess you have some cheap lan cables with enough lenght...

(Tommorow I will get my PF S100 with the Farads.)

Frenchrooster

Jan 14, 2012
France
@Frenchrooster Yes, that what I meant. Put, maybe the word "install" is better, the Innuos between the Melco and the NDS. The Melco will work as in past but prior the NDS you have now a top switch with an excellent clock and LPS.

Between is what I found with my ER as best sounding. Marcus, our Swedish friend has his EE8 as me "between". Jonas also.

I guess you have some cheap lan cables with enough lenght...

(Tommorow I will get my PF S100 with the Farads.)
The problem is when I connect the Nds and Melco to the Innuos, it doesn’t work. What you suggest is to consider the Melco as the first switch, and the Innuos as the second switch. The problem is that the Melco will be connected to the noisy router and the Nds still to Innuos.
why don’t you connect the Innuos to your router , then both Nd555 and Melco to the PhoenixNet ?

Gunnar

VIP/Donor
Mar 24, 2021
Grand Est France
@Frenchrooster Correct I suggest Melco as the first switch. Try it. For sure if you want you can put the ER before the Melco also. Then the ER will be the first to “clean”. But I recommend you to do that as step two. You might (probably) hear a further improvement,

I believe that the best switch should be closest to the NDS. That is what I have found out in my setup. For a non technical guy it make sense to have the best switch as close to the “end” as possible.

What I understood you meant with “NDS and Melco connected to the Phoenix” is that the Phoenix is connected to the router and both the Melco and NDS to the Phoenix, So no direct connection between Melco and NDS. My recommendation is to try to install them after each other.

I am sure we have some other members who also can give comments? Experiences are always interesting to get.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing