Tobian Soundsystems release the new 18FH Horn Speaker

Tobian Sound Systems have been finalising their 18FH horn speaker​

Below are some words from Designer & CEO Günter Tobian:

Tobian_Soundsystems_18FH_003.jpg

From a time perspective, the development of the 18FH started in 1986 as my private project and something I was pursuing, to finalize to my liking since then. Sometimes great things need a sufficient time frame and effort to materialize in exceptional form and resulting performance.

When Tobian Soundsystems GmbH was founded 2002, I launched the first 18FH with a coaxial chassis for the mid-high horn and a 15" woofer for the bass horn - which formed a three-way horn system. However, it has always been my wish to develop a true two-way horn speaker, one that avoids the need for a crossover in the crucial mid-high range from 200Hz to 20KHz.

Taking into account the new developments in technologies, materials available, construction and production possibilities in the last few years, there were three construction and development phases for our 18FH project.

Tobian_Soundsystems_18FH_005.jpg

We managed to develop completely new and unique things for this particular speaker, here's a few crucial developments:​

• Compression driver that would work down to the magic limit of 200Hz.
• Completely new 20" inch (50cm) CD horn, which is able to reproduce lower cut-off frequencies, required for our measurements.
• 16" woofer, powerful and sensitive enough to support this exceptional horn in the lower octaves down to 20Hz.
• Our goal of a 100% analog crossover for the Woofer, with handmade extreme chokes of up to 13kg which are therefore very resilient and extremely stable and are able to convert any kind of power optimally into force.
• A newly developed back loaded horn chassis made from four different types of wood. The entire construction is made without using any screws and bolts, rather with the use of glues in order to avoid any resonances in the housing. With this technique an enclosure does not have to be overly heavy to control resonances.

18FH-side-drawing.jpg

Tobian_Soundsystems_18FH_007.jpg

Thus the 18FH speaker project became my passion​

A horn speaker capable of sensitively reproducing any style of music, regardless of volume. Listening to music that sweeps you away and touches you emotionally, while offering a live musical experience in your own home, making you addicted for more!

This has led Tobian Soundsystems to where we are today, a manufacturer that develops and designs everything in-house. Our suppliers are exclusively Swiss entrepreneurs with the exception of our audio connectors which we source from Germany.

Tobian_Soundsystems_18FH_006.jpg

Tobian_Soundsystems_18FH_0081.jpg

If you have any question about our exciting new speaker, please feel free to ask Günter!

Attachments

• 18FH-drawing.gif
    18FH-drawing.gif
    58.2 KB · Views: 14
Last edited by a moderator:

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Looks great! How wide is the speaker?
Similar philosophy to my 1 of 1 horns which use the RCA1443 midrange (600-8000Hz). Achieving 200-20,000Hz is no small achievement!
I will never do a custom speaker again, so I will keep yours in mind for a 2nd media room.
What is the price, if you don’t mind?

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Hope to hear them in a few weeks....
And @bonzo75 let me know your time frame for a visit...

Reactions: RussR and matakana

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
What do they cost?

Günter Tobian

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2019
www.tobian-soundsystems.com
Looks great! How wide is the speaker?
Similar philosophy to my 1 of 1 horns which use the RCA1443 midrange (600-8000Hz). Achieving 200-20,000Hz is no small achievement!
I will never do a custom speaker again, so I will keep yours in mind for a 2nd media room.
What is the price, if you don’t mind?
Thank you, I know the vintage drivers like RCA very well, I'm a collector since the 80s and in the first years I used these drivers in my projects. the price is $ 174,500

Reactions: Zeotrope

Günter Tobian

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2019
May I enquire as to the material used in manufacturing the CD horn ?
The horn consists of an alloy, main component aluminum and is pressed / drawn over a wooden positive mold.
This was a long and complex development process until the right alloy and machining could be defined. Defined alloy therefore that the direction uniform of flow of the alloy is and remains stable of pull when working the horn does not become brittle.
However, at least as important as the horn construction itself is the mounting platform of the horn, here the residual resonances are defined.

Günter Tobian

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2019
Reactions: bonzo75

Günter Tobian

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2019

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Celestion Axi driver I see

Reactions: bonzo75

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
I got several videos from Gunter and I’ll post a few just for basic feeling. But i would advise to go and listen in person not only 18FH but as well smaller ones as they are really fantastic. His tube electronics i will not even mention as I’m in love with it.
BTW on the video: 18FH, MA200 power amps, SC12 preamp, Riverside audio TD124 with Origin Live Agile and Lyra Lambda cart goong via DHT phono pre.
878E4E6E-72D3-4B2B-ABD6-23BC091C36B4.jpeg

Reactions: LampiNA

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Was that Bee Gees LP playing at the right speed? Lol

Günter Tobian

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2019
Reactions: Duke LeJeune

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH

Günter Tobian

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2019
Was that Bee Gees LP playing at the right speed? Lol
Yup seed is ok, Chantal Chamberland the Song is from the BeeGees. The 46 is fantastic in the MA200 as driver for the Western Electric 300B. We also use the 46 as power triode in our MA100 mono`s, sensational

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
yes, the Axi is the base for our 5" inch driver which gets a complete overhaul and is vaporized with shellac

What overhaul do you do to the driver exactly excluding covering it in shellac?

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
what´s the sensitivity of the woofer section....I guess you´ll need to shelve down the AXI by 12-15db unless going active

Günter Tobian

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2019
What overhaul do you do to the driver exactly excluding covering it in shellac?
the three most important improvements for optimized sound guide are safe, voice coil, phase plug and the diaphram

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing