Todd's AG Trio G3 System -- it's about time

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Or more likely our OCD would lead to insanity. ;) I realize I may have to turn in my audiophile membership card, but over the last 20 years I have tried to reduce the number of variables that need to be incessantly tweaked. I know how I was 30 years ago with my vinyl setup and a certain amount of madness was intermixed with moments of glorious satisfaction. I just can't (or don't want to) do that anymore.

While I have a more modest system, in my case it is both, finances and OCD. I could never have gotten my system to the level where it's at had I invested in vinyl as well, and yeah, OCD. It's not just set-up, it's the clicks and pops, too. Funny, my audiophile friends complain about clicks and pops and surface noise on their vinyl while I listen right through it -- on *their* systems that is. But if it were *my* clicks and pops in *my* system? It would drive me crazy.

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
While I have a more modest system, in my case it is both, finances and OCD. I could never have gotten my system to the level where it's at had I invested in vinyl as well, and yeah, OCD. It's not just set-up, it's the clicks and pops, too. Funny, my audiophile friends complain about clicks and pops and surface noise on their vinyl while I listen right through it -- on *their* systems that is. But if it were *my* clicks and pops in *my* system? It would drive me crazy.
Amen! That is exactly how I think about TT. Too fidgety and click pop that I would have to work to ignore.

Ron did get me thinking about a R2R machine.
I don’t have media for either.

Chop

Aug 9, 2020
England
Playing vinyl mastered from digital recordings -- at least to some extent, I assume.
Some vinyl mastered from digital is unavoidable. Thousands and thousands of 50s, 60s and 70's original LPs of all musical types means most of my vinyl is unashamedly analogue.

Audiohertz2

Jun 8, 2023
Amen! That is exactly how I think about TT. Too fidgety and click pop that I would have to work to ignore.

Dont leave out the realism of sound that comes along with the click and pops ..!

:)

Regards

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
about one out of every 7-10 records i play has some noise on the lead in groove, or a section with a slight click for a rotation or five. this is the reality of good vinyl.

but they have more ambient 'air' and more room information than great digital by degrees. and in the first seconds before the music starts the room more noticeably pressurizes (analog captures and retains more of this) and you are aware of a recording space more noticeably (varies system by system) than digital. digital does not seem to do silence (you don't hear into the noise floor) as well as analog. which results in a greater musical connection....and a more physical reaction to the ease of the music. yes; the very best digital does some of this too.....but the effect is less.

important? that's personal.
tape does not suck.

i have gone all-in on crazy spendy digital and love it....but there is a slice of magic reserved for vinyl.

Reactions: Lagonda

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Actually these I don't mind as they tend to sound better than the digital file thru a dac ..!

Regards

If that is the case, why would that be? Pleasant colorations added by vinyl?

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
I have plenty of records with a few pops and click and a few that even have scratches audible on quiet passages. I prefer older records and sometimes buy 4-5 different copies to find the best versions and pressings. I will take a original pressing with a few blemishes over a modern repress/remaster any day. Pops and clicks do not bother me much. :)

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing