Todd's AG Trio G3 System -- it's about time

caesar

May 30, 2010
I do not think there are many audiophiles are as skillful as sbnx to setup this speaker. I certainly do not have such skills. I also do not think most dealers have a clue to setup this speaker. For such expensive speaker, Advantgarde should send someone from HO to setup this speaker. My room is certainly big enough to accommodate Trio G3. But if it is only me to setup this speaker, there is no way I will buy this speaker.
Sad to say, most dealers are clueless and just push boxes. Most audiophiles are interested in audio jewelry, that “pride of ownership“ And have very mediocre sound. Again, sad to say, Most systems i hear suck. But the guys got cables worth thousands and they are on cable lifters …

What is even sadder, is that most dealer showrooms suck also, that it makes me wonder how they make sales

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
MBL sends out their distributor to set up all of their Extremes.
Yes but I think they are not very helpful at least it is true for the MBL dealer in my area. I ask him how to integrate or place 101X bass towers relative to main speaker. And how to use all the buttons in the bass tower. He has no clue.

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
Yes but I think they are not very helpful at least it is true for the MBL dealer in my area. I ask him how to integrate or place 101X bass towers relative to main speaker. And how to use all the buttons in the bass tower. He has no clue.
Well…. There are dealers who know their stuff. Just have to find them. But also: trust your ears! There is a lot you can accomplish yourself ;)

Reactions: sbnx

Germanboxers

Dec 14, 2015
Sweet! very exciting! Does Avantgarde airship?

And who will be doing your setup?
I assume so only because Todd mentioned that it took a week to 10 days for him to receive his speakers after they shipped from Germany.

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Thank you for all the thoughtful replies.

So how much better is the sound you are getting than what you experienced at Axpona , Munich, and at the distributor? Day and night difference?

as far as spacehorns go, I wonder how much better dual ones would be over singles…after all , it’s so room dependent….

furthermore, I wonder if it’s a smart business decision on the part of Avantgarde to cross over at 100, and force people into space horns, instead of giving the flexibility for the customers to get into the game without the space horn and instead allow other brands of subwoofers
Yes, the speakers are night and day different between AXPONA and my room. They are much, much better sounding. I would suppose this would be the case with any speaker I picked from AXPONA. But in my demos of the Trios I would say that they sounded good but not like a world class speaker. In my room they shine.

By dual do you mean two sets of spacehorns (Meaning 4 of them) or do you mean a pair of the dual woofer spacehorn?

The 100Hz thing is physics. They can not get the bottom horn to go lower without making it a lot bigger. So they are pretty much locked in on that. It is not very hard to get the spacehorn to sound good with the Trios. I actually like the fact that it goes up beyond 100Hz as that gives me great control over the bass.

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Sweet! very exciting! Does Avantgarde airship?

And who will be doing your setup?
Yes, The speakers are air shipped from Germany. As it was 4 very large crates it takes a little time. They have to have a plane with the space and the speakers may arrive on different planes. Then once they arrive the shipper has to get them through customs and over to their warehouse and schedule delivery. All of this took about a week.

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Hi Sbnx, have you considered consulting the guys in Germany regarding your setup procedure? I’m sure they will have ideas and opinions
I have spoken with Jerome at length. I spent a good amount of time with him when I was at Angies place.

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
I could be wrong, but you must get their subs…yet fir guys who don’t have all the cash at once, buying without the space horns and then saving up for the upgrade would be a an excellent option … and avoiding a potential lost sale for Avantgarde
There is the one person on here several posts back that integrated 4 REL subwoofers with his Trios. I think he started with just a pair of them. For him I don't think it had anything to do with budget. It was about space as the basshorns/spacehorns are huge.

Whatever woofer one gets is going to have to be super fast in order to integrate witht he horns. REL is certainly well known as being this type of woofer system. I think it makes a great "budget" option if you were looking to go that direction.

There is one brand of woofer I have mentioned before and I am very curious about them. It is a woofer panel and the brand is PureLow. From their website they have a flat impedance of 4 ohm and play from below 10Hz up to 400Hz with a flat frequency response. Being a panel they are going to be super fast. They weigh something like 250 lbs each. They are expensive but a pair of these with the necessary X-over and amp would be about the same price as a pair of dual spacehorns.

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
I assume so only because Todd mentioned that it took a week to 10 days for him to receive his speakers after they shipped from Germany.
You must be coming out of your skin waiting on your Trios to arrive.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
There is the one person on here several posts back that integrated 4 REL subwoofers with his Trios. I think he started with just a pair of them.

For @marslo I think he has a lot of space and a lovely room, having been there but he (and his wife) think the RELs are more WAF :)

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
For @marslo I think he has a lot of space and a lovely room, having been there but he (and his wife) think the RELs are more WAF :)
Yes and no;) Sounds very much taoist, no?;)
Yes - the living room is quit big ( around 100 sqm) but no - I have no so much space for basshorn/spacehorn because I want to keep the 3 sources and amplification between the speakers.
I have a line of power sockets behind the rack and all cables , separate power supplies, power distributors and transformer to reduce the high voltage coming from solar pannels are just behind the rack.
Moreover, I find the quality of bass from carbon membrane of my REL subs significantly better than from bass satellites of my former Mezzo XD.

Last edited:
Reactions: christoph

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Moreover, I find the quality of bass from carbon membrane of my REL subs significantly better than from bass satelites of my former Mezzo XD.

The bass satellites were bad. The bass horns are extremely good

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Do you own X-tremes ?

Germanboxers

Dec 14, 2015
You must be coming out of your skin waiting on your Trios to arrive.
Yep…and work is quite busy now and in the foreseeable future so trying to get them in my garage and then uncreated and moved into my room as quickly as possible is a logistical nightmare. I’m sure it will be well worth the wait.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Yep…and work is quite busy now and in the foreseeable future so trying to get them in my garage and then uncreated and moved into my room as quickly as possible is a logistical nightmare. I’m sure it will be well worth the wait.
Did you sell your Mezzos yet?

Germanboxers

Dec 14, 2015
Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

You can hire @Lagonda and Caesar together. I will come just to document the conversation

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: caesar

Germanboxers

Dec 14, 2015
Reactions: caesar

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing