Todd's AG Trio G3 System -- it's about time

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Hi Sbnx,
As fun as the setup exercise is, I hope you’re able to let go of the analysis mode to enjoy the music.

on the subject of music, is this an all around speaker? Or does it favor certain types of music?

also, how does the system sound with older recordings? (I’m jamming some Grateful Dead Dicks picks 1 tonight, which has been remastered from original 2 track tape. Although sonically it’s not as sonically impressive as the well recorded American Beauty, live dead concerts are much more magical enjoyable than the well recorded studio albums.)
Once everything is setup this system will be super easy to just get lost in the music. No analysis needed. To me analysis happens when there is some kind of cognitive dissonance. The more real and alive the easier for the brain to turn off and enjoy the performance.

so far the Trio excels at everything i have tbrown at it. Solo Piano, Orchestral, vocals, amy strings, even RUSH sounds like Geddy is jamming right in front of me.

The system is very resolving so recordings sound as they were recorded. For example Joan Armatrading still sounds amazing — dynamic and expressive. But i can tell it was recorded in the 70’s. This doesn’t deter me from enjoying her music one bit.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) in my experience, measurements are useful in the bass region to assess the best place to sit (a la Jim Smith) and to find a general area for the speakers that has flatish bass response. (...)

I fully agree with you - I did the same in my room and a few friends room. But the best listening place depends on the speaker and some speakers sound best when the listening position is not in the zone with flattish bass.

And we must be realistic - most audiophiles have strong limitations when choosing the listening space.

Reactions: Lagonda

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
This thread is an excellent read! Thanks sbnx (Todd) for documenting your journey. The new Trio’s are definitely on my short list of next speakers…. your sharing your experience here is quite helpful (hurtful to my bank account) in furthering the dream

Reactions: sbnx

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Once everything is setup this system will be super easy to just get lost in the music. No analysis needed. To me analysis happens when there is some kind of cognitive dissonance. The more real and alive the easier for the brain to turn off and enjoy the performance.

so far the Trio excels at everything i have tbrown at it. Solo Piano, Orchestral, vocals, amy strings, even RUSH sounds like Geddy is jamming right in front of me.

The system is very resolving so recordings sound as they were recorded. For example Joan Armatrading still sounds amazing — dynamic and expressive. But i can tell it was recorded in the 70’s. This doesn’t deter me from enjoying her music one bit.
Glad to hear about Geddy ripping it up on the new Trios. That should be the first test of any system.

Reactions: sbnx and caesar

caesar

May 30, 2010
Glad to hear about Geddy ripping it up on the new Trios. That should be the first test of any system.

At the previous Axpona, when they introduced the Trios, they played the Stones, Queen, Supertramp, and others. And although the system was not perfectly setup, it was still a WOW experience! Easily some of the best rock I have heard due to insanely realistic attack, huge and impactful bass to set the foundation, and microdynamic articulation - emotion expressed by the artist with every little pick of the guitar... incredible!

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I'm not the enthusiast for horn speakers that many are on this forum. But this was one of the most enjoyable and informative threads on the forum I've read in ages. Kudos to the OP. And even more so to the contributors. Rare to see a thread that does not degenerate to some of the usual squabbles after 14 pages, which contributed immensely to the reading enjoyment. I admit I'm now curious to learn where I can hear a well set-up pair of G3s and the iTron amps? BTW, I looked for specs on the iTron amps on the web site and found nothing. Can they drive less efficient speakers and if so, how "less" efficient? I look forward to reading and learning more.

Chop

Aug 9, 2020
England
I'm not the enthusiast for horn speakers that many are on this forum. But this was one of the most enjoyable and informative threads on the forum I've read in ages. Kudos to the OP. And even more so to the contributors. Rare to see a thread that does not degenerate to some of the usual squabbles after 14 pages, which contributed immensely to the reading enjoyment. I admit I'm now curious to learn where I can hear a well set-up pair of G3s and the iTron amps? BTW, I looked for specs on the iTron amps on the web site and found nothing. Can they drive less efficient speakers and if so, how "less" efficient? I look forward to reading and learning more.
Proof that Trio owners are just all round lovely people :)

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
i-Tron (a brand name not a type of amp) current based amps must be matched to particular drivers. in the case of the G3 Trio's each of the 3 i-Tron amps output 3 watts. so it's a very narrowly focused approach....requiring active technology. less efficient drivers won't match well with current based amps.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jim Smith and marty

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I listened to the AG s at audio life in buren on both the I tron and tubes for about an hour
The i tron had a direct sound , tubes softened the whole presentation up a bit .
What suprised me was the bass those units can put out , he demonstrated this with some organ music

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Marty,

I think I might be in a similar camp as you. This thread along with a few others (Destination Audio, Bonzo75 observations from time to time, Kodomo, Sound of Tao, and one other horn owner...will have to look for his name again)...have genuinely impressed me with the commitment, attention to detail, and exacting methods, etc. And inspired me to investigate a bit further than I otherwise would have.

My gut says horns are in some respects even more exacting of setup and more sensitive to the system arrangements, room, etc. Not sure why, but its an impression from listening to them and also to comments from those who have significant experience about the nature of their finetuning.

Which probably makes it very important to get a setup that is really, really, really set up well.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I listened to the AG s at audio life in buren on both the I tron and tubes for about an hour
The i tron had a direct sound , tubes softened the whole presentation up a bit .
What suprised me was the bass output those units can put out , he demonstrated some organ music
Did you have a preference? I could imagine the right SET could be magic with these...but respect that the designer of the AG Trios has gone a different direction...that clearly says something about their views on optimal amplification for this speaker.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I think the I tron was better actually.
While the set up at the dealer still needed more tweaking you could definitively hear the potentional .
I think these new ones are a huge step up from the old designs

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I think the I tron was better actually.
While the set up at the dealer was probably still needed more tweaking you could definetively hear the potentional .
I think these new ones are a huge step up from the old designs
Interesting and good to know. I intuitively did not sense the Emm MTRX was quite right for the AG Trios I heard. No doubt magnificent amps given the provenance (Ed Meitner), but somehow the sound was powerful, effortless but perhaps not quite as supple as I was hoping (and believe it could be).

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Did you have a preference? I could imagine the right SET could be magic with these...but respect that the designer of the AG Trios has gone a different direction...that clearly says something about their views on optimal amplification for this speaker.

SET tube magic ???? my .....
After hearing plenty of Sets in Munich , i can describe 99 % with one word ..... "sweet colouration ."

Tube magic is a VAC 170 iq integrated / KT 88 ( afaik ,relatively cheap too )

Excuse me for going of topic

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
SET magic ???? my .....
After hearing plenty of Sets in Munich , i can describe 99 % with one word ..... "sweet colouration ."

Tube magic is a VAC 170 iq integrated / KT 88 ( afaik ,relatively cheap too )

Excuse me for going of topic
I have to say that while Shindo is not for me...there is a 'push forward' in the mids which makes Clapton sound glorious but orchestral strings a bit imbalanced...I could totally see the appeal of Shindo and a big exacting horn...kind of a 'who cares...sit back and luxuriate'.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) After hearing plenty of Sets in Munich , i can describe 99 % with one word ..... "sweet colouration ." (...)

I was lucky - I only listened with time to Lamm, Wavac and Cary SETs and they did not show "sweet coloration".

Reactions: tima

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
What suprised me was the bass those units can put out , he demonstrated this with some organ music
Maybe I missed it. How many space horns do they have in their setup?

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Maybe I missed it. How many space horns do they have in their setup?

This was the set up .
3 horns per side . :)
The "stereo " bass horn looks integrated for both channels , or may be they are placed against each other .
I like the vertical placement of sbnx better
1685394025561.jpeg

They also those had black ones , no idea which brand

1685394470573.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: adyc

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
This was the set up .
3 horns per side . :)
The "stereo " bass horn looks integrated for both channels , or may be they are placed against each other .
I like the vertical placement of sbnx better
View attachment 110953

They also those had black ones , no idea which brand

View attachment 110954
Thanks. If you look at Trio’s manual, they only recommend vertical placement for a pair of space horns.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing