Todd's AG Trio G3 System -- it's about time

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
your analysis is right. This was a later recorded version. 1 has a very low cost analog source compared to the other two, and back then was with 4 watts. Now he has a 10 watt amp

Thanks. Always interesting to compare even if headphones and videos, rather than in person.

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
Reactions: Carlos269

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
I like this recording. Quiet. Well balanced. Yo-Yo-Ma

listen with headphones

Reactions: howiebrou

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
Carlo’s, your version sounds very good
And so is Leif’s

Thank You. It is very interesting to hear how different these systems sound, with the same recording. One of the objectives when I set out to design, assemble and implement my vision of the ultimate horn based system was to overcome the limitations typically associated with multi-way horn systems. As I have entered a phase of comparative analysis it brings attention to areas where the planning and execution has succeeded in addressing those sonic elements.

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
Reactions: Carlos269

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Hi Sbnx,

I am fascinated by how audiophiles make decisions in this subjective hobby of ours. Yeah, she's got some weird ass, new esoteric turntable with a digital clock... I wonder if they sell more than 10 - 15 of these in NA... yet check out around 6:30 minute mark:
. They make it clear that there is "better synergy"... for her at least...

On another note, the Trio is virtually a new design. And with little information and no measurements out there and a large price tag, being science and engineering minded, how were you convinced that the new Trio is well engineered?
Sell,sell,sell, $50 K $, 100 K, 250 K ! o_O This hobby of ours has truly gotten ridiculous ! Sometimes i am ashamed to fall for all the B S !:rolleyes:

Reactions: bonzo75

Uwiik

Mar 2, 2021
Hi all, I am back!! Sorry for disappearing for such a long time, deepest apology to @christoph for ignoring his PM for DAC due to my recent problem, I ran into some massive problems on my investment in Dubai and got a massive headache from it, all good now.

I got the chance to attend Indonesian high end audio show last month and the manager of AG was there. Even he agreed that Ongaku and G3 is better than iTron, the dang dealer demoed the setup with Kondo G1000 pre amp and off course I was astonished and I must must must must dig deeper into my bank account to sell my G70 and buy the G1000, never thought an audio could sound that good, G1000 is truly amazing. The Kondo and G3 based setup even beat a system in the next room that cost more than double (hint…CH Precision based system with speaker that costs 3 times the G3)….

There is delay on the construction of my new audio room in my new house, so everything will be hopefully done by April 2024, crossing fingers.

All in all, with all due respect, I don’t think iTron is the endgame amp for G3, I think Ongaku is. We tried pairing the G3 with FM Acoustic and to my ear the Ongaku+G1000 still beats the FM by a million miles.

Pictures for teasers!!! Enjoy!!!
IMG_8714.jpeg IMG_8731.jpeg IMG_8751.jpeg IMG_8744.jpeg IMG_8743.jpeg IMG_8742.jpeg

Last edited:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Hi all, I am back!! Sorry for disappearing for such a long time, deepest apology to @christoph for ignoring his PM for DAC due to my recent problem, I ran into some massive problems on my investment in Dubai and got a massive headache from it, all good now.

I got the chance to attend Indonesian high end audio show last month and the manager of AG was there. Even he agreed that Ongaku and G3 is better than iTron, the dang dealer demoed the setup with Kondo G1000 pre amp and off course I was astonished and I must must must must dig deeper into my bank account to sell my G70 and buy the G1000, never thought an audio could sound that good, G1000 is truly amazing. The Kondo and G3 based setup even beat a system in the next room that cost more than double (hint…CH Precision based system with speaker that costs 3 times the G3)….

There is delay on the construction of my new audio room in my new house, so everything will be hopefully done by April 2024, crossing fingers.

All in all, with all due respect, I don’t think iTron is the endgame amp for G3, I think Ongaku is. We tried pairing the G3 with FM Acoustic and to my ear the Ongaku+G1000 still beats the FM by a million miles.

View attachment 122288 View attachment 122289 View attachment 122290 View attachment 122291 View attachment 122292 View attachment 122293
No need for an apology at all :cool:

Glad all is good again and please say hello to Lukasz :D

Reactions: Uwiik

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

View attachment 122288 View attachment 122289 View attachment 122290 View attachment 122291 View attachment 122292 View attachment 122293
Great stuff and welcome back! Good to hear all is well again. Looking forward to reading more about your adventures with AG G3 and most interesting to hear about your strong preference for Ongaku over iTron and even FM and CH. I could imagine agreeing with you If I had been able to hear the Ongaku/G1000 vs the Emm Labs MTRX Ref Monos which were being played with the G3 when I heard it.

Last edited:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
I did…I overheard when he was talking about you to another person and that was the reason I recognized him ….My dealer will do the deal for Horizon DAC on my behalf, can’t wait!!
Big congrats :cool:

Uwiik

Mar 2, 2021
Great stuff and welcome back! Good to hear all is well again. Looking forward to reading more about your adventures with AG G3 and most interesting to hear about your strong preference for Ongaku over iTron and even FM and CH. I could imagine agreeing with you If I had been able to hear the Ongaku/G1000 vs the Emm Labs MTRX Ref Monos which were being played with the G3 when I heard it.
Even AG’a own guy admitted that Ongaku sounded better than iTron… that’s quite something

Reactions: christoph

Kozak170

Aug 8, 2019
I must must must must dig deeper into my bank account to sell my G70 and buy the G1000!!
For the passive mode with G3, Before digging your bank account and buing Kondo G1000, I suggest you to test the Japanese Bakoon Products. They are much cheaper than Kondo and with that unique SATRi circuit developed by Nagai-san over 30 years, they can be considered the best solid state option for horns.The Bakoon amps sound more like a really good SET but with so much better speed and better bottom end. My friend who has trio g2 compared 20w Bakoon amps (7511mk4 x2 + 7610 pre) to kondo Neiro and Ongaku and preferred Bakoon by a wide margin. Also, in this forum, those who had Bakoon experience with AGs, preferred Bakoon to their very good SETs.

Reactions: wil and Uwiik

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
For the passive mode with G3, Before digging your bank account and buing Kondo G1000, I suggest you to test the Japanese Bakoon Products. They are much cheaper than Kondo and with that unique SATRi circuit developed by Nagai-san over 30 years, they can be considered the best solid state option for horns.The Bakoon amps sound more like a really good SET but with so much better speed and better bottom end. My friend who has trio g2 compared 20w Bakoon amps (7511mk4 x2 + 7610 pre) to kondo Neiro and Ongaku and preferred Bakoon by a wide margin. Also, in this forum, those who had Bakoon experience with AGs, preferred Bakoon to their very good SETs.
3 years ago I decided to move away from SETs to power my AG horns and bought or borrowed a dozen amps to try at home to see which suited my speakers / room the best.

Included was a Bakoon amp because other AG owners (or at least one other owner) had raved about this amp on a forum. I found it sounded very good, but certainly not the top contender and also it got ridiculously hot in use. It was probably adding to my electricity bill far more than my 845 mono SETs! Although I was not expecting this, I chose a Class D Purifi Eigentakt-based amp, although the GamuT D200 may have beaten it if it wasn't for an unacceptable thump on powering up and down. Both were rather surprising top dogs in my test as I was expecting maybe a Class A amp (I tried Accuphase and Sugden) would be my first choice.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Even AG’a own guy admitted that Ongaku sounded better than iTron… that’s quite something
Very interesting!

Kozak170

Aug 8, 2019
3 years ago I decided to move away from SETs to power my AG horns and bought or borrowed a dozen amps to try at home to see which suited my speakers / room the best.

Included was a Bakoon amp because other AG owners (or at least one other owner) had raved about this amp on a forum. I found it sounded very good, but certainly not the top contender and also it got ridiculously hot in use. It was probably adding to my electricity bill far more than my 845 mono SETs! Although I was not expecting this, I chose a Class D Purifi Eigentakt-based amp, although the GamuT D200 may have beaten it if it wasn't for an unacceptable thump on powering up and down. Both were rather surprising top dogs in my test as I was expecting maybe a Class A amp (I tried Accuphase and Sugden) would be my first choice.
I think you have experienced Korean Bakoon, they are good, but not as good as Japanese Bakoon, and of course they have some differences, for example, Japanese bakoon uses R-core transformer in the power supply, but the korean type uses toroidal one.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
(That would be my personal preference as well.)

But this report is very puzzling as AG has moved decidedly away from tubes.

To whom at AG are you referring?

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
(That would be my personal preference as well.)

To whom at AG are you referring?
Ron I think he might be the ex head of marketing at AG… with a fairly recent redeployment to the mailroom and packing and dispatch.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
there is no conflict. you are not looking at the whole picture. if you look closely at what AG is actually doing, they are appealing to two separate markets.

(1) traditional audiophile--- a choice of the internal I-tron direct current amps, with or without a separate preamp, or a passive crossover and choose your amps. could be anything. and you can seamlessly switch from the I-tron to your passive amplification choice. if you have both. the I-tron is relatively modest in price compared to most tube amps being considered. so owning both is not prohibitive.

(2) other than traditional audiophile----they have the direct current I-tron on board amplification and also a complete built in streamer module including volume control you can do from your phone. both the I-tron and streamer are resident inside the speaker chassis. and this is with the Spacehorns with active internal amplification. so the customer who wants the ultimate lifestyle product with super simple seamless operation can get satisfied. like the big Goldmund active speakers with resident digital sources and volume control. big bucks. analogous to the Steinway player piano product. same customer.

my guess is that the decision to invest in all this new tech for the G3 was based on that expanded business case of those additional sales from that 'other' market and what it would take to compete in it.

with the super slick look of the all in one chassis G3 AG it can be a terrific architectural piece for an interior designer. that is a significant market. where tube amps are not part of the picture.

the I-tron is certainly a totally legit musical choice. but it's not everyone's cup of tea. I was intrigued by what I heard from the I-tron at Axpona 2022. but most audiophiles are not ready for that and most of those traditional horn lovers prefer tubes.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing