Top Dog Preamps! What's the best of the best? The heart of your system.

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
.. I have not heard Y, but are passively similar to audio consulting? anybody?

the silver rock transformer are allegedly so uniform in behaviour that you can listen at very low levels in full resolution, something that i can subjectively subscribe to. It also is the nearest to the Wadia direct, allowing me to keep the Wadia volume between 95-100.

in the link below, some thoughts of Serge Schmidlin about his volume control solution:
http://www.audio-consulting.ch/?Products:Preamlifier:Silver_Rock_TVC

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Yes, I would also like to hear the latter two units, but I'm going to be listening to the Audio Note M10 Signature next. The one reviewer likes the AR Ref Anniversary better than the Koda. No, I have not heard the Ypsilon DAC in my system... but can do so when time permits. I'm deep into the beginning of the YG Sonja project, and this afternoon they are sounding simply stunning on the Ypsilon Aelius monos. It's holographic, dear Mr. Spock. Wish you were all here by my side.

Would not mind to try the Aelius with my REF Anniversary, although I usually prefer to use the same brand of preamplifier and amplifier ... ;)

Occam

[Industry Expert]
Dec 15, 2010
NYC
Again, a volume control in a passive preamp can only lower the input voltage from the source, it can never increase it.

Mep - I do believe you're forgetting about inductive volume controls. Both true transformers as well as autotransformers are quite capable of providing voltage gain, with the attendant increase in source impedance presented to the downstream amplifier.

Peter - the 2 preamplifiers I've been most impressed with recently are the Music First (transformer based) and the Bent Audio (Dave Slagle) autoformer based preamps - http://www.bentaudio.com/index2.html

FWIW

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
images.jpg

I am very curious at listening the Jadis JP80...

Last edited:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I can sure hear the difference (a big one at that) between passive and active mode. Passive is pale and somewhat opaque compared to the vibrancy of active. Active provides greater image density. I'll take Fremer to task on this one. I'm switching them right now... back and forth.

That's pretty much describes most passives that I've heard.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 2,531

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
If I didn't hear some improvement in sound quality by inserting a pre-amp in the loop, then I would have to say it is the one that you hear. For some a pre-amp may be necessary to access all of the sources in their system.

Jim

My point is they all have a flavor so pick yours.

Groucho

Aug 18, 2012
UK
the silver rock transformer are allegedly so uniform in behaviour that you can listen at very low levels in full resolution, something that i can subjectively subscribe to. It also is the nearest to the Wadia direct, allowing me to keep the Wadia volume between 95-100.

in the link below, some thoughts of Serge Schmidlin about his volume control solution:
http://www.audio-consulting.ch/?Products:Preamlifier:Silver_Rock_TVC

From the above link:
One should keep in mind, that a conventional 100 KOhms potentiometer, when set at medium position, places a 50 kOhms resistor in series with the signal.

With a 300pF cable or input capacitance, this situation leads to an attenuation of - 3 dB at 11 Khz.

The lower you go with the volume setting, the narrower the bandwidth becomes right in the audio band !

One finally understands why at low levels our audio systems sound so bad.

With a transformer - potentiometer you have the opposite situation. The lower you go with the volume, the lower the output impedance of you system becomes and the wider the bandwidth.
In fact, the output of a 100k potentiometer set half way provides a source impedance of 50k in parallel with 50k = 25k, not 50k. The -3dB point with a 300pF load is actually 21 kHz. This is the point of maximum source impedance of the potentiometer; the impedance is lower than this when either louder or quieter than half way. So, at a volume setting of 10%, the output impedance is 90k in parallel with 10k = 9k, and the -3dB point is almost 60kHz.

Ho hum.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
My Top Dawg :) Vitus MP-L 201

mpl201_intern_big.jpg power_intern_big.jpg

Last edited:

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
Interesting.....

The PST-100 Mk.II preserved absolute polarity in passive mode for both balanced and unbalanced operation, but inverted polarity in active mode, which is to be expected from a gain stage using a single tube.

The Ypsilon PST-100 Mk.II offered excellent performance in passive mode, with minimal insertion loss in unbalanced mode, and its transformer-based design suffered very little changes in its operating conditions due to the impedances of the components both upstream and downstream of it. Its active mode was more problematic; while most of the measured problems in active mode will be below the threshold of audibility under normal conditions, I wasn't surprised that MF preferred the preamp's sound in passive mode. Balanced operation had higher noise than unbalanced, which suggests that this mode of operation is offered as a convenience, the PST-100's volume-control transformer and active circuitry operating in single-ended fashion.

defride

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2013
Yes, I would also like to hear the latter two units, but I'm going to be listening to the Audio Note M10 Signature next. The one reviewer likes the AR Ref Anniversary better than the Koda. No, I have not heard the Ypsilon DAC in my system... but can do so when time permits. I'm deep into the beginning of the YG Sonja project, and this afternoon they are sounding simply stunning on the Ypsilon Aelius monos. It's holographic, dear Mr. Spock. Wish you were all here by my side.

A full suite of Ypsilon inc the big SET mono's driving Raidho C1 in a small room was a magical, musical experience. Driving the new YG's sounds like a recipe for sensational.

sonrock

Apr 15, 2013
for myself, I do like the einstein preamp sound, for my ears and taste I prefer it over the Koda K10 compared one on one directly in my system. I'd love to hear their flagship preamp soon called The Preamp, and probably some more preamps like FM and Thrax. But until now, einstein preamp with nos tubes from Telefunken and Mullard sounds best to my ears.

defride

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2013
for myself, I do like the einstein preamp sound, for my ears and taste I prefer it over the Koda K10 compared one on one directly in my system. I'd love to hear their flagship preamp soon called The Preamp, and probably some more preamps like FM and Thrax. But until now, einstein preamp with nos tubes from Telefunken and Mullard sounds best to my ears.

I can understand your preference for the Einstien, you enjoy it's fulsome bass delivery. Nothing wrong with that, but natural? That I'd question, listening to your system my impression was the Einstien delivered more bass weight at the expense of leaning out the midrange and a more forward presentation. As we've discussed, I'd suspect you'll only know what premium components can do within your awesome array of kit when the room acoustics are sorted.

You might even want to look at Purite's Trinnov room correction, said to be amoungst the best and given the limitations with placement in your room at least worth exploring?

sonrock

Apr 15, 2013
Sir, actually we are having different conception and taste about sound and presentation, so I dont go to this debate as I see the einstein is truly musical and natural sounding to my ears. I am in contact to bring The Preamp home, and an expert will come to help with the room treatment :), should be great then. I hope the room treatment will bring the performance of my system to the new level, I just hope. If everything is ok, I will plan to build a completely new listening room in the back of my house Sir, 5m - 6m wide and 7m - 8m long, I am just dreaming about that day :D, should be long from now though!

defride

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2013
Sir, actually we are having different conception and taste about sound and presentation, so I dont go to this debate as I see the einstein is truly musical and natural sounding to my ears. I am in contact to bring The Preamp home, and an expert will come to help with the room treatment :), should be great then. I hope the room treatment will bring the performance of my system to the new level, I just hope. If everything is ok, I will plan to build a completely new listening room in the back of my house Sir, 5m - 6m wide and 7m - 8m long, I am just dreaming about that day :D, should be long from now though!

Good luck with 'The Preamp' - love the names they give their kit. Fingers crossed the treatment will make a significant difference and please do let me know how you get on.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Have Jeffrey Jackson build you a bespoke preamp. I love my Kahn 71A two box preamp with mercury rectifiers...

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Exactly two weeks on the Sonja's. Simply amazing loudspeakers. Is it the Ypsilons or the YGs? Or both? I have never heard such resolving power in an audio system in my life. The realism is off the charts.

4music

Apr 15, 2013
Exactly two weeks on the Sonja's. Simply amazing loudspeakers. Is it the Ypsilons or the YGs? Or both? I have never heard such resolving power in an audio system in my life. The realism is off the charts.

Peter,
I just ordered a pair of Ypsilon Aelius to drive a pair of Raidho D-1s. Expect to get them in approximately four weeks. Any idea of what other make preamps might work well on the Aelius?
I also need advice on the power cables. My IC & SC are all Jorma Origo.

fjmcsu

VIP/Donor
Jan 10, 2011
Enjoying my Virgo II Constellation Audio Pre-amp with Centaur Amp & Magico Q5's. I had the Virgo I prior and ran Krell Harware(Audio Standards, KRC-HR with phono board & B & W 800's) before changing to this system about 11 months or so ago. Extremely quiet/revealing system to my ears c/w prior system , but as noted quite a different system. I have not used other pre-amps in the current system either.
thnaks
Francisco

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing