Trinity DAC

Adam,

Now that I have tried all of the "high end" USB cards, including SOTM, Pang V1 and the new JCAT I think the new JCAT is the winner. I have two Caps Zuma one that is now dedicated to the JCAT and am waiting for my dual rail LPS from Core Audio. The Pang card is a significant improvement over the SOTM but the JCAT is a whole new level. WARNING, let it break it for at least a week before drawing any conclusions. Right out of the box, it is very shrill.

Marcin promissed to send me one this week.

For all those who are interested in the Trinity dac: see http://www.trinity-ed.de/typo/fileadmin/template/bilder/reviews/387_trinity_dac.pdf for the English translation of the Trinity dac (rave) review in Audiotechnique magazine.

Good transation.
Lincoln Cheng is the editor-in-chief of the Audiotechnique magazine in Hong Kong and the organizer of the annual hifi show in Hong Kong (http://www.audiotechnique.com/av_show/hifi_show.htm).
He bought a Trinity DAC and his dCS Vivaldi setup is now only for listening to SACDs.

I easily accept it, but feel unease about it. Why a DAC that has clocks with 28 fentosecond jitter is sensitive to the source?

And yes, today I ordered a digital Transparent XL AES/EBU cable. :eek:

Because they have different noise spectra. The noise from the computer gets injected into the DAC via both the USB interface and AC line, and modulates the signal.

One of the interesting remarks in the review of the Trinity dac in Audio Technique is that one of the reviewers explicitly mentioned that the highlight was a high res file in 24/192 of the record company 2l (in the thread on the wbf forum called "stunning sounding high res files" I listed two high res recordings in 24/192 of this Norwegian record company). With this remark he confirms what I have stated several times before on this thread: although red book sounds terrific with the Trinity dac, good high res files sound even more stunning.

Btw, Wisnon was so kind to send me a few cd's with some very good recorded material. I received those cd's yesterday and will give them a listen next weekend.

That is no surprising at all. Ceteris paribus, hi-res files sound better than their RedBook counterparts.

It is worth mentioning though, that throughout the test, the first (main) reviewer, used RedBook files almost exclusively with this DAC. This clearly shows how good the Trinity is at playing regular CDs. This is also how I listen to my Trinity DAC - 99% is RedBook, and only ~1% are hi-res files.

That statement can also show a possible weakness as well. My MSB stack sounds very good and better than any I have heard so far with redbook and you saying you sold yours is personnel preference . Now as you have heard more than me , it does not make it a better DAC but a very good one by reviews.
As there is no best for all , but how these devices are evaluated matters plenty .
Al

Because they have different noise spectra. The noise from the computer gets injected into the DAC via both the USB interface and AC line, and modulates the signal.

It is why some people still prefer to use the AES/EBU connection and consider the USB a noisy interface. But in audio the proof of the pudding is in the eating! ;)

That is no surprising at all. Ceteris paribus, hi-res files sound better than their RedBook counterparts.

It is worth mentioning though, that throughout the test, the first (main) reviewer, used RedBook files almost exclusively with this DAC. This clearly shows how good the Trinity is at playing regular CDs. This is also how I listen to my Trinity DAC - 99% is RedBook, and only ~1% are hi-res files.

Agree totally with your first comment. However as there are still people/audiophiles out there that claim that (good) red book is as good as (good) high res files I thought it useful to point explicitly to this aspect of the review.

As regards your second comment we agree again as I already made clear in earlier posts on this thread: the Trinity combo sounds indeed very impressive with (good) red book as well.

That statement can also show a possible weakness as well. My MSB stack sounds very good and better than any I have heard so far with redbook and you saying you sold yours is personnel preference . Now as you have heard more than me , it does not make it a better DAC but a very good one by reviews.
As there is no best for all , but how these devices are evaluated matters plenty .
Al

Al,

That would be the case, if the Trinity DAC sounded different in character than the MSB. Then indeed, that could be a question of preference. Afterall - one likes brunettes and another one blondes.

This is not the case here though. Both DACs are very similar in overall character, but the Trinity eclipses the MSB Diamond Plus with Galaxy Femto clock in terms of microdynamics, smoothness, resolution, texture, fluidity etc. The difference is not subtle at all - this is the kind of difference you hear in the first 10s of audition. To my ears, Trinity is simply a different ball game.

Now you have really peaked my interests , that is exactly the answer I wanted to read . It does makes sense in the way you portray it. OT have your heard the level7 ?

Al

Now you have really peaked my interests , that is exactly the answer I wanted to read . It does makes sense in the way you portray it. OT have your heard the level7 ?

Al

Not yet, but as he is in Warsaw, I am sure its just a matter of time. Lukasz has it on his agenda...

Ultimate Audio Main Room (sorry but Was taken with Mobile Phone)
Trinity DAC and Preamp
Aurender W20
Gryphon Antileon Signature
Rockport Altair
Cables Gobel Lacorde Statment
Conditioner Gigawatt PC4 EVO

We will present the system in Valencia Spain from 2-4 May. If you are nearby you are most Welcome! The amp will be Gryphon Mephisto instead and also Will present Tripoint Troy Signature with Thor cable.

Dont miss it...

fotografia.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, this is quite a system. How does the Aurender W-20 work with the Trinity ? No issues at all ? Is the W20 superior to the S10 or X100L on the Trinity ?

The Trinity has an excellent USB input with galvanic isolation (which is rare on DACs, as it is difficout to implement; most DACs that claim to have galvanic isolation on USB input are 24/96 limited) which should narrow the gap between various USB sources.

I for one cannot tell a difference between the SOtM and Jcat USB cards. The difference between the SOtM USB and MoBO USB outs is also smaller than with other DACs, with lesser USB input designs.

Thanks ! Bad news for me :(

I need to try the W-20 at home and compare it to my CAPS V3 on steroids.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing