Tube Advice: 7788 (E810F)

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Hoping for advice from anyone who has experience with this tube. My phono preamp uses a pair in the signal box. I've used Amperex tubes and they are a little "tubey". Recently tried Telefunken (West Germany) and they are quicker (which I like) but a little lean. I'm looking for a 'Goldilocks' tube somewhere in between. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

I wish I could help out here, but I can't. I have no experience with that tube and don't think I own any to lend to you to try. That is not a common tube, but I know you enjoy driving down the road less traveled.

My sample of the Allnic H3000 uses the mullards. I have never had any cause to think they aren't just fine, not too lush and not too tight.

Thanks guys! I'll try the tube dampers. It was my impression that the Mullards were just branded Amperex tubes...am I wrong?

It was my impression that the Mullards were just branded Amperex tubes...am I wrong?

Re-branding of tubes has always been all over the map!!! You would need an old tube guru who used the exact tubes when they were $2 or $3 to ?possibly? know. BUT, you could check the Internet [maybe Facebook]; you are sure to get an honest & accurate answer ;).

zz.

Re-branding of tubes has always been all over the map!!! You would need an old tube guru who used the exact tubes when they were $2 or $3 to ?possibly? know. BUT, you could check the Internet [maybe Facebook]; you are sure to get an honest & accurate answer ;).

zz.

I thought that if it was on the internet it had to be true!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing