Turntable Recommendation ~ $10K

theclipper

Jul 17, 2022
Hi all,

I'm looking to upgrade from my Rega P8. Was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for the best bang for the buck turntable around $10K. I have no problem with used gear. Below is my current setup. Appreciate any and all input!

I was considering a restored Garrard 301, but I don't really have much listening experience with something like that. Was also hoping to come across a used Kuzma Stabi R w Kuzma arm, but no luck thus far.

Rega P8 w Lyra Delos Cart
Bob's Devices SKY 20 SUT
LAMM LP 2.1 Deluxe
Don Sachs DS 2 Preamp
Don Sachs Kootenay 120 Amp
Spatial Audio Lab M3 Sapphire Speakers

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Kuzma Stabi R w Kuzma arm
Yes, if it was my money I would definitely go for the Kuzma Stabi R with a Kuzma 4Point 11" or 14" arm.

I bought a Rega P10 with Apheta 2 cartridge linked to a Rega Aura (all new equipment) coming up to two years ago now. BIG Mistake..... Should have gone for the Kuzma Stabi S with a Stogi arm or even better a 4Point arm and a different phono stage and cartridge.

Sold the P10 and Aura last year and bought a Kuzma XL DC with a Kuzma 4Point 11" and MSL Eminent Ex (July last year) linked to a CH Precision P1 (Nov last year) (no X1 for the P1 yet). Sounds amazing, looks amazing and the build quality of all of these components is just awesome !

theclipper

Jul 17, 2022
Thanks fellas, the Stabi R + 4point9 arm looks really intriguing! At this point it's probably a little out of my price range at retail. Keep hoping for a deal to pop up, but no luck thus far.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Reactions: bonzo75

jsec

Aug 30, 2022
@theclipper I had exactly the same situation as you a month ago. I sold my Rega P8 in the end of January and then tried to figure out my options. With the kind help of several people from the WBF and after my own demo/testing I ended up ordering Kuzma Stabi R with 4Point 9" arm plus Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum. The TT was delivered last week and I haven't been able to stop listening it, sounds simply amazing. There is of course a price difference compared to Rega, but still I'm amazed how much more I enjoy listening Kuzma+Koetsu setup. I have dCS Bartok as a source for my digital setup, but it has been collecting dust for a week now. Earlier the balanced was roughly 75% Bartok 25% Rega P8, Kuzma has flipped that over. Life is good when you are looking for a new TT ;)

Reactions: Bonesy Jonesy

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
@theclipper I had exactly the same situation as you a month ago. I sold my Rega P8 in the end of January and then tried to figure out my options. With the kind help of several people from the WBF and after my own demo/testing I ended up ordering Kuzma Stabi R with 4Point 9" arm plus Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum. The TT was delivered last week and I haven't been able to stop listening it, sounds simply amazing. There is of course a price difference compared to Rega, but still I'm amazed how much more I enjoy listening Kuzma+Koetsu setup. I have dCS Bartok as a source for my digital setup, but it has been collecting dust for a week now. Earlier the balanced was roughly 75% Bartok 25% Rega P8, Kuzma has flipped that over. Life is good when you are looking for a new TT ;)
Hi 'jsec', Great choice on what you finally decided upon A+

Yes, same happened to me between my analogue and digital set-ups i.e. when I had my Rega P10 & Aura I was mostly listening to CDs and SACD Hybrids with my Chord Blu MK1 CD Transporter (upgraded to now have in-built M Scaler) and Chord DAVE.

Since I bought my XL DC it was nearly all analogue I was playing and when the CH P1 arrived it has been all analogue since last November. ! Since July last year I now have over 500 hours on my MSL Eminent Ex (bought same time as my Kuzma TT set-up.

Reactions: jsec and theclipper

theclipper

Jul 17, 2022
Glad to hear it's working out for you! I want to make sure I'm taking a notable step up from the P8, it sounds like the Kuzma would do just that. Where did you end up ordering from? If you don't mind me asking.

Reactions: jsec

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Thanks fellas, the Stabi R + 4point9 arm looks really intriguing! At this point it's probably a little out of my price range at retail. Keep hoping for a deal to pop up, but no luck thus far.
You could buy a used Kuzma Stabi S (ideally one of the later models with the thicker plinth and separate upgraded power supply) with a used Kuzma 4Point 9" for now (look on HifiShark and do a search for 'Kuzma') and cartridge of choice (that would match nicely with your phono stage).

The Stabi S (with the upgraded power supply and thicker plinth) will serve you well until a Stabi R comes up on the used market.

Somebody in Europe (I think Sweden or Finland) was selling this exact set-up i.e. a Stabi S latest model with separate power supply with a Kuzma 4Point 9" and CAR40 for around 5,800 euros all in a couple of months ago (which was also listed on HifiShark).

Also (listed on HiFiShark) somebody was selling a Kuzma Stabi M with a 4Point 14" arm somewhere in Europe for I think 14,000 euros all in about a month ago. If you could buy the Stabi M, you are done for a long time, maybe for the rest of your life.

In Hifishark you can save your searches (if you sign-up) so that when a product comes up you get an email notice.

Reactions: theclipper

theclipper

Jul 17, 2022
You could buy a used Kuzma Stabi S (ideally one of the later models with the thicker plinth and separate upgraded power supply) with a used Kuzma 4Point 9" for now (look on HifiShark and do a search for 'Kuzma') and cartridge of choice (that would match nicely with your phono stage).

The Stabi S (with the upgraded power supply and thicker plinth) will serve you well until a Stabi R comes up on the used market.

Somebody in Europe (I think Sweden or Finland) was selling this exact set-up i.e. a Stabi S latest model with separate power supply with a Kuzma 4Point 9" and CAR40 for around 5,800 euros all in a couple of months ago (which was also listed on HifiShark).

Also (listed on HiFiShark) somebody was selling a Kuzma Stabi M with a 4Point 14" arm somewhere in Europe for I think 14,000 euros all in about a month ago. If you could buy the Stabi M, you are done for a long time, maybe for the rest of your life.

In Hifishark you can save your searches (if you sign-up) so that when a product comes up you get an email notice.
Thanks for that! I've had a Kuzma search saved, but just for North American sales - guess I should open it up to Euro listings as well.

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Glad to hear it's working out for you! I want to make sure I'm taking a notable step up from the P8, it sounds like the Kuzma would do just that. Where did you end up ordering from? If you don't mind me asking.
Yes for sure. Even the Kuzma Stabi S with a Kuzma Stogi arm (never mind a 4Point arm) is a big step up from a Rega P10 never mind a P8!.

The Rega TT's have major design and operating flaws in them (see past info I have posted on the Rega P10 etc.). They are ok for somebody who just wants a 'plug and play' TT but compared to TT's that I vision as 'real TT's' like the Kuzma range for instance, the Rega TT's are like 'toys' !

theclipper

Jul 17, 2022
Yes for sure. Even the Kuzma Stabi S with a Kuzma Stogi arm (never mind a 4Point arm) is a big step up from a Rega P10 never mind a P8!.

The Rega TT's have major design and operating flaws in them (see past info I have posted on the Rega P10 etc.). They are ok for somebody who just wants a 'plug and play' TT but compared to TT's that I vision as 'real TT's' like the Kuzma range for instance, the Rega TT's are like 'toys' !
I've came to that same conclusion with the Rega line. The lack of VTA & azimuth adjustment are extremely annoying.

Reactions: Bonesy Jonesy

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
@theclipper
Hello from a fellow Seattleite :)
Great advice so far re Kuzma and of course a well done Garrard is awesome too. Have fun!

Reactions: theclipper

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
I've came to that same conclusion with the Rega line. The lack of VTA & azimuth adjustment are extremely annoying.
Yes, plus the way the tonearm is earthed and the design and position of the TT motor.

Also to my ears listening to when I was using my P10 and now listening to my XL DC, that I also don't like the lightweight design either of the Rega range. I found the Rega P10 with the Apheta 3 (and before that I had the Rega RP10 with Apheta 2) sounded very digital sounding i.e. very clear and clean on the verge of being sterile with not a lot of weight behind the bass and the soundstage depth very shallow.

And personally I think their Rega Naiad is a complete price rip off to the TT you get for such crazy money (which in material terms is not a lot !, so guess people are paying for the time of Rega personnel in developing such a TT).

Reactions: jsec

jsec

Aug 30, 2022
I'm living in Finland, I wanted to make a deal with a local dealer to be on safe side. Kuzma definitely is a step up for the Rega setup. I also like the compact setup of Stabi R, yes it's heavy and robust, but doesn't take too much desk space.

theclipper

Jul 17, 2022

Arrg, I know! The way the hum on the P8 drives me nuts! Should not be an issue.

Bbock

Apr 11, 2022
Illinois
Reactions: Scott Naylor

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing