Upcoming Nagra turntable

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
Not to hijack the thread here, but does anyone have any further information about the Nagra HD phono preamp? I noticed a “preview “ shot or tow of it in one of their news letters a long while back, and then nothing. Is it due out soon?

And yes, the new Nagra TT looks beautiful to my eyes - then again, you might have noticed my eyes (and ears) like Nagra. I’m very curious….

Reactions: Zeotrope

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
well, @Zeotrope you can choose to agree or disagree but keep in mind that what I said is my honest opinion as a hobbyist and I'm not paid for that.

Reactions: lordcloud

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Not to hijack the thread here, but does anyone have any further information about the Nagra HD phono preamp? I noticed a “preview “ shot or tow of it in one of their news letters a long while back, and then nothing. Is it due out soon?

And yes, the new Nagra TT looks beautiful to my eyes - then again, you might have noticed my eyes (and ears) like Nagra. I’m very curious….
Renee is coming to my place in about a month. I will ask.

Reactions: jfrech and Ovenmitt

Holmz

Apr 19, 2022
If you look at this video from 23:00 minute onwards Jonathon Weiss explains clearly the drag of stylus during playback.
Respectfully… no he does not.
Then he says at 24:25 that, ”it is just common sense.”
In reality he doesn’t actually say a lot, despite the abundance of words used and the bolstering and emphasis of the hand waving.

Later in the 30-35 minute range he talks about the trails and tribulation of the machining in a fashion that that is reminiscent of the old testament exodus story.

IME a modern motorcycle engine or F1 engine looks like a lot more challenge than a block of metal to hold motor and platter assembly.
And even basic twin cam engines, and earlier engines use dowel pins to locate the head for machining and the head to the block.
The TT part is no where in the league of aerospace and rocket science.
And the materials and engineering do not even seem to be even in the league of a bicycle, ski or tennis racket… much less a glider or sail boat.

Getting back to reality, I can believe that the drag would be a function of force, distance and coefficient of friction.
So a high VTF would seem to have more drag.
But I doubt that the compliance of the cart has a ’bearing‘ on things.
and if the minuscule drag is varying, then using an oil or grease to increase the drag, would allow for the motor to run a bit harder to then be more immune to the tiny drag variations from the stylus.

Furthermore he talks about bass notes like the stylus is tracking the signal like it is a plot of voltage versus time.
However the RIAA curve sort tells us the HF notes are way hotter, and the bass way lower, and these ripples and undulations are largely the same amplitude at all the frequencies.
I just am unsure whether the increased force on the upstroke is countered by the decreased force on the down stroke as the stylus goes through a single sine wave jiggle.

The marketing aspect of the video it is pretty impressive.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
TLi, I am trying to understand what you mean by detailed and gentle. When listening to something like a string quartet, does that mean the presentation is similar to that of a close miked recording and one that lacks life and energy? Could you describe what you actually hear from a recording?

My belt Drive turntable also lacks speed correction as far as I know. It’s just a low friction bearing and massive platter that maintain consistent speed.
A small modification to the AS 2000 controller and a cable to the "Road Runner" will give you automatic speed correction, i have also installed a toggle switch, so i can turn it off and on.

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
Respectfully… no he does not.
Then he says at 24:25 that, ”it is just common sense.”
In reality he doesn’t actually say a lot, despite the abundance of words used and the bolstering and emphasis of the hand waving.

Later in the 30-35 minute range he talks about the trails and tribulation of the machining in a fashion that that is reminiscent of the old testament exodus story.

IME a modern motorcycle engine or F1 engine looks like a lot more challenge than a block of metal to hold motor and platter assembly.
And even basic twin cam engines, and earlier engines use dowel pins to locate the head for machining and the head to the block.
The TT part is no where in the league of aerospace and rocket science.
And the materials and engineering do not even seem to be even in the league of a bicycle, ski or tennis racket… much less a glider or sail boat.

Getting back to reality, I can believe that the drag would be a function of force, distance and coefficient of friction.
So a high VTF would seem to have more drag.
But I doubt that the compliance of the cart has a ’bearing‘ on things.
and if the minuscule drag is varying, then using an oil or grease to increase the drag, would allow for the motor to run a bit harder to then be more immune to the tiny drag variations from the stylus.

Furthermore he talks about bass notes like the stylus is tracking the signal like it is a plot of voltage versus time.
However the RIAA curve sort tells us the HF notes are way hotter, and the bass way lower, and these ripples and undulations are largely the same amplitude at all the frequencies.
I just am unsure whether the increased force on the upstroke is countered by the decreased force on the down stroke as the stylus goes through a single sine wave jiggle.

The marketing aspect of the video it is pretty impressive.
+1
nice explanation

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin

It's supposed to out April. I can't wait !

Reactions: Ovenmitt

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
This was hilarious, thanks.

I can’t trust anything coming out of his mouth because so much is BS. Reminds of that advertising adage: ‘I know half my money is wasted on advertising, I just don’t know which half.’

I also love the part where he describes cast iron as if he discovered the material.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) Will MF be reviewing it?

Peter,

I am always happy to see you are asking for reviews by a known reviewer who praises so much LPs that have digital processing ... A positive signal of how open minded the audiophiles are?

I appreciate M Fremer reviews in part because we share many preferences. But is seems to me he deeply disagrees with you on most fundamental aspects.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Peter,

I am always happy to see you are asking for reviews by a known reviewer who praises so much LPs that have digital processing ... A positive signal of how open minded the audiophiles are?

I appreciate M Fremer reviews in part because we share many preferences. But is seems to me he deeply disagrees with you on most fundamental aspects.

Francisco, I did not ask MF for a review. I asked zoetrope a simple question. I don’t really know what this response is all about. You seem to be interested in discussing lots of other issues that do not seem related or relevant to my question.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Francisco, I did not ask MF for a review. I asked zoetrope a simple question. I don’t really know what this response is all about. You seem to be interested in discussing lots of other issues that do not seem related or relevant to my question.

My apologies, I could not guess you were mainly interested in MFremer opinion on the Nagra turntable aesthetics - in fact my post addressed audio aspects related to general sound quality.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Milan, That’s interesting to know. Do you have a preference?
I set at the beginning of playing a record, and turn it of during playback.

Reactions: PeterA

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
I set at the beginning of playing a record, and turn it of during playback.
Which is how Nagra does it. Interesting.

Another thing that Weiss seems to get wrong is his view that the larger the motor is the better. A larger motor will be noisier and be more difficult to speed control.

Reactions: mtemur

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
A small modification to the AS 2000 controller and a cable to the "Road Runner" will give you automatic speed correction, i have also installed a toggle switch, so i can turn it off and on.

Maybe I don't understand it correctly. -- I thought the Roadrunner was a reader.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Maybe I don't understand it correctly. -- I thought the Roadrunner was a reader.
The RoadRunner can be connected to the controller with a cable, the readings are then used to set correct speed automatically. I prefer the sound without constant adjustment, and use the feature on upstart only.

Holmz

Apr 19, 2022
The RoadRunner can be connected to the controller with a cable, the readings are then used to set correct speed automatically. I prefer the sound without constant adjustment, and use the feature on upstart only.

You mentioned a switch and circuit mod, as I am installing mine, I am figuring it might be worth considering that now.
Can you share more?

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
You mentioned a switch and circuit mod, as I am installing mine, I am figuring it might be worth considering that now.
Can you share more?
What controller do you have ?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing