Urology group stops recommending routine PSA test

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Liz Szabo, USA TODAY

In a major break from the past, a leading medical group is advising men to think twice before getting getting screened for prostate cancer.

The American Urological Association, which has staunchly defended the PSA screening test in recent years, says there's no need for men under 55 to consider the test. And men ages 55 to 69 who are considering the PSA should consult their doctors about the test's benefits and risks, according to a new policy announced Friday. Until now, the group had advised healthy men ages 40 and up to ask their doctors about the PSA.

Authors of the new guidelines "learned very quickly that there really was no high-level evidence supporting the use of screening with PSA," says urologist H. Ballentine Carter, who chaired the panel that wrote the new guidelines.

Some men and their doctors may be reluctant to stop screening, says Carter, a professor at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine in Baltimore.

"The public is very enthusiastic about screening, partly because of our messaging," Carter says. "The idea that screening delivers benefits may have been overexaggerated."

But Carter notes that "if a physican and patient sit down and the patient really, really understands the risks and benefits, then it's been absolutely proven that a substantial minority will not choose to be screened."

Given the limited benefits of the PSA, and the risks from cancer treatment, the urology group doesn't recommend PSA screening for men 70 and older who are expected to live less than 10 to 15 more years.

Men at higher risk of prostate cancer should also ask their doctor's advice. Men at higher risk include African Americans and those with a very strong family history of prostate cancer, defined as cancer that develops before age 50, in multiple first-degree relatives, such as fathers or brothers, Carter says.

"It's a big change," Carter says. "An obvious questions is, 'Why is the (urology group) all of a sudden changing their stance?'"

Urologists have mostly continued to promote the PSA, even as other medical groups have backed away from recommending the blood tests. Last year, the urology group harshly criticized a federal expert panel that suggested men avoid the PSA entirely.

Carter notes that the group's 2009 "best practices" statement, which encouraged PSA testing, was based on a consensus of expert opinion.

The new guidelines were based strictly on medical evidence from rigorously designed clinical trials, Carter says. Urologists considered the same evidence used by the federal panel, the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. Urologists also followed standard guidelines for making health recommendations, set out by the Institute of Medicine, he says.

"This was a much more sound scientific process," says prostate surgeon Peter Scardino, chair of the surgery department at New York's Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center.

Research suggests that PSA screening may prevent one death from prostate cancer for every 1,000 men screened over a 10-year period, the urology group says. Yet many men who undergo PSA screening will be harmed, because of treatments that can lead to incontinence or impotence. Even undergoing a prostate biopsy, in which prostate tissue is removed with needles, puts men at risk for being hospitalized for an infection or other complication.

The urologists' stance on prostate cancer screening is now more in line with that of the American Cancer Society and five other medical groups, which emphasize "shared decision-making" — they advise men to talk to their doctors about the risks and benefits of PSA. Three medical groups, including the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force, advise men to skip screening.

The new recommendations are a "radical change," but a welcome one, says Michael Palese, associate professor of urology at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, who was not involved in writing them.

"It will help to change the current climate of over-biopsy and overreaction when it comes to PSA," Palese says. "On the other hand, we do need to continue to keep a vigilant watch on those patients who have prostate cancer that should be treated and will benefit from treatment."

Otis Brawley, the American Cancer Society's chief medical officer, says the urology group's official statement on screening has always been more nuanced than many people — including its members — realized. That's led many individual urologists to strongly promote the PSA to patients, while minimizing the risks.

"Some of the doctors just don't understand the technical issues in screening and don't understand what the risks are," Brawley says.

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
Yes, when I was in medical school (20 years ago) the PSA debate had been raging for a few years already. It is one of those things that will never go away. In a few years i'll bet that the Urologists will reverse their position again :)

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
Yes, unless it is massively elevated. e.g. a PSA of more than 10 is probably clinically significant. It is the low normal PSA's which are bothersome and cause so much anxiety. Having said that, if you actually have a diagnosis of prostate cancer, even a rise of PSA from 2 to 2.5 is clinically significant. Things like this are difficult to communicate to patients unfortunately!

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
So what do I do? My father died of prostate cancer.

Bruce

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
Simple. Get your PSA tested! The problem is not with the test, it is what to do with the result. The issue with PSA is that it provokes anxiety in patients, who then demand all sorts of invasive investigations which don't necessarily give you the answer. The gold standard for diagnosing prostate cancer is a trans-rectal ultrasound + biopsy. Not very pleasant, and it still misses the diagnosis. You also have to understand the paradox of medicine - the right answer for the population may not be the right answer for the individual. If you are mature enough to understand that a single elevated lowish PSA means nothing, and all you need is monitoring, then ask your doctor for a PSA.

Steve Williams

As far as I know PCA3 serves as a tumor marker in following prostate biopsies

From Wiki.......

The most frequently used biomarker for prostate cancer today is the serum level of prostate-specific antigen (PSA), or derived measurements. However, since PSA is prostate-specific but not cancer-specific, it is an imperfect biomarker. For example, PSA can increase in older men with benign prostatic hyperplasia. Several new biomarkers are being investigated to improve the diagnosis of prostate cancer. Some of these can be measured in urine samples, and it is possible that a combination of several urinary biomarkers will replace PSA in the future.[4]
Compared to serum PSA, PCA3 has a lower sensitivity but a higher specificity and a better positive and negative predictive value.[5] It is independent of prostate volume, whereas PSA is not.[6] It should be measured in the first portion of urine after prostate massage with digital rectal examination.[7]
PCA3 has been shown to be useful to predict the presence of malignancy in men undergoing repeat prostate biopsy.[7][8] This means that it could be useful clinically for a patient for whom digital rectal examination and PSA suggest possible prostate cancer, but the first prostate biopsy returns a normal result. This occurs in approximately 60% of cases, and on repeat testing, 20-40% have an abnormal biopsy result.[9]
Other uses that are being studied for PCA3 include its correlation with adverse tumor features such as tumor volume, grading (Gleason score) or extracapsular extension. These studies have so far produced conflicting results.[10][11][12]
A commercial kit called the Progensa PCA3 test is marketed by the Californian company Gen-Probe. PCA3 Rights acquired from Diagnocure back in 2003. Royalties of 16% of cumulative sales of PCA3 kit are paid to Diagnocure. Diagnocure is quoted on TSX as CUR.TO (Canada) [9] [13]
[edit]

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
This issue strikes close to home for me. My annual physical and blood test last year revealed an elevated PSA. My personal physician sent me off to a Urologist. The Urologist gave me the urine test which was negative.

Just had this year's physical and went back to the Urologist. He subscribes to the new theory explained in the article and had just given a presentation on this subject to a group of 75 doctors the night before my appointment with him. He gave me a very thorough explanation and I will follow his advise.

I'll go back for a follow up with him in 6 months.

My younger brother went through a PSA scare last year and he ended up going the biopsy route which was negative.

Steve Williams

This issue strikes close to home for me. My annual physical and blood test last year revealed an elevated PSA. My personal physician sent me off to a Urologist. The Urologist gave me the urine test which was negative.

Just had this year's physical and went back to the Urologist. He subscribes to the new theory explained in the article and had just given a presentation on this subject to a group of 75 doctors the night before my appointment with him. He gave me a very thorough explanation and I will follow his advise.

I'll go back for a follow up with him in 6 months.

My younger brother went through a PSA scare last year and he ended up going the biopsy route which was negative.

and that's the problem with Serum PSA levels in terms of how to act (ultrasound, biopsy PCA3, DRE etc). You're darned if you do and darned if you don't

I would bet that your PSA was elevated from mild BPH (benign prostatic hypertrophy)

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
Certainly hope so (Had to Google BPH). :)

He also mentioned that the PSA test doesn't take into account the size of the prostate - meaning that some men's prostates are larger than others.

To clarify, not age related increase in size, but the original size you inherit genetically.

He said my prostate was larger than average and that may account for the higher PSA reading.

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
It was well exercised in the past but it is becoming increasingly difficult to maintain the previous pace. :)

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
The evolving theory of detection, diagnosis and treatment of prostate cancer is clearly evolving to a model akin to evolution of breast cancer screening, diagnosis and therapy. (There is a fascinating book tracing the evolution of breast cancer diagnosis and treatment in the 20th century by Barron Lerner "The Breast Cancer Wars".)

First of all, prostate cancer is extremely common and the incidence rises with age:

20 to 30 years, 2% to 8%
31 to 40 years: 9% to 31%
41 to 50 years: 3% to 43%
51 to 60 years: 5% to 46%
61 to 70 years: 14% to 70%
71 to 80 years: 31% to 83%
81 to 90 years: 40% to 73%

Secondly, like breast cancer, the vast majority of prostate cancers that are detected are not lethal. Unfortunately, our ability to discriminate indolent, non-lethal prostate cancer from more aggressive forms is lagging our ability to detect prostate cancer. As a result (and similar to breast cancer), screening reveals large numbers of indolent cancers whose discovery results in treatment (with the attendant risk of side effects) despite the fact that the treatment does not alter the course of the disease for large numbers of patients.

However, there is interesting emerging data that may well revolutionize treatment and followup of prostate carcinoma. Similar to how the treatment of breast cancer evolved from modified radical mastectomy to breast conservation therapies in conjunction with radiation and hormonal/chemotherapy, the diagnosis and treatment of prostate cancer in the near future is likely to be much less invasive with more emphasis on combined biochemical screening/surveillance in conjunction with imaging (MRI and PET) and targeted, imaged-guided (rather than random) biopsies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing