Using Wally Tools

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I guess “airplane is a cantilever” helps more to understand. The airplane drawing resembles cantilever for me.
That's how I see it, assuming the stylus is at the centre of the aeroplane in that graphic at the intersection of the three parameters.
It is not the cantilever that is skewed but the stylus itself on the position and the way it is mounted onto the cantilever.

Sure - I can think of cantilever in the picture as well. no problemo.

For quite a while now when doing an alignment we aligned on the cantilever. I keep coming back to the Uni-PRO or the SmartTractor tools and instructions with its mirrored surface. We can see enough of the stylus to get it to the correct effective length distance, the divot in the tool, and then adjust the zenith of the cantilever according to the marked lines. But we can't see the stylus so well to align its zenith. So thinking of the diagram in terms of the cantilever works.

My understanding of the 'zenith error' discussed by WallyTools is about the stylus as mounted on the cantilever as shown in the 'final Frontier' link that Bonesy posted. This takes alignment down to the stylus level so I applied the terminology to it. Of course the cantilever can use the same terminology as it holds the stylus.

As long as we use the terminology to denote what we're talking, its all good.

Reactions: mtemur

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Every system is different, so would be difficult to come up with a universal solution? The WallyScope itself has quite a bit of adjustment range.

Perhaps. All I'm saying is the WallyScope itself needs a proper mounting. There are several mounting devices from Dinolite for their microscopes -- they may not apply here but the idea is the same. I realize the WallyScope has fine thread adjustment. I was pleased to see you are using it. I wonder how widespread is its use.

I have the original WallyAnalog Shop with digital multimeter, circa 2003. Compared to today's tools it was 'rudimentary' though the same theories on which it was based -- theories pioneered by Wally -- are still in play.

1. WallyAzimuth Alignment
2. WallySpeed Calibration (turntable RPM)
3. System Burn-in with adjustable current for:
a. Electronic Components
b. Speaker Cables
c. Interconnects *(Deluxe model only)
d. Phono Cable/Tonearm Wires *(Deluxe model only)
4. MC Cartridge Passive Degaussing *(Deluxe model only)

rDin

Oct 28, 2019
A sturdy XYZ scope mount would be welcome, but the WallyScope itself is quite substantial and many times bigger and heavier than Dinolites. A suitable support would be large and expensive...

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
But powerful and expensive microscope doesn’t fix it either. AM software fixes it.
Possibly 'mtemur' !

However the good news for us vinyl audiophiles is that Wally Tools do use an expensive and powerful (magnification) microscope set-up to be able to determine the 'zenith error' accurately for cartridges and then make and provide a shim to fit between the top of the cartridge and bottom of the head shell to compensate for this 'zenith error'.

Wally Tools undertake this service in-house as part of setting up one's cartridge for all the parameters. And if you are a Kuzma 4Point owner if you also send them a spare Kuzma 4Point head shell with your cartridge, they will send you back your cartridge fitted to the head shell with a custom made shim specifically for your cartridge and Kuzma head shell so the cartridge can perform to it's optimum performance (as long as you set up your 4Point tonearm correctly i.e. with the 'Wally Reference' and 'Wally Skater' tools for instance).

I believe (from their information) Wally Tools have looked at many many cartridges for customers who have sent their cartridges in for assessment and setting up and now have an excellent database of information of cartridges they have set-up (and therefore know of their imperfections in particular 'zenith errors' amongst all of the other parameters). From this information, I also believe that there is a repeatable pattern amongst cartridge manufacturers of cartridges that have been built by the cartridge manufacturer so badly that the cartridge has had to go back to the manufacturer to be corrected or even completely replaced with a new one (and this includes very expensive so called 'top of the premium league' cartridges too !)

So from me learning about all that Wally Tools can do and have learnt about cartridges etc., in the future when I buy a new and expensive cartridge I will get the Dealer or Manufacturer I have bought it from, and have them send my purchased brand new cartridge direct to Wally Tools for analysis and set-up and I will send Wally Tools one of my spare 4Point 11" head shells.

The only reason why I haven't used this service from Wally Tools (although I did seriously consider it before I calculated the overall financial cost to me (as I am based in the UK at the moment)) is that my current MSL Eminent Ex cartridge had already operated for 600+ hours after approx. 11 months of play time (therefore I knew that I would be changing it for a new cartridge in July / August 2024) and the overall cost (i.e. Wally Tools analysis and set-up cost, very expensive postage (because of the high insurance costs and an express delivery from UK to USA and back) and buying a brass custom made shim) came to over £1,000 !. So instead, I used this money to buy the Wally Scope and attempt to set-up my cartridge myself (currently minus the 'zenith error' assessment - as I mentioned in one of my recent previous posts on this thread).

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Perhaps. All I'm saying is the WallyScope itself needs a proper mounting. There are several mounting devices from Dinolite for their microscopes -- they may not apply here but the idea is the same. I realize the WallyScope has fine thread adjustment. I was pleased to see you are using it. I wonder how widespread is its use.

I have the original WallyAnalog Shop with digital multimeter, circa 2003. Compared to today's tools it was 'rudimentary' though the same theories on which it was based -- theories pioneered by Wally -- are still in play.

1. WallyAzimuth Alignment
2. WallySpeed Calibration (turntable RPM)
3. System Burn-in with adjustable current for:
a. Electronic Components
b. Speaker Cables
c. Interconnects *(Deluxe model only)
d. Phono Cable/Tonearm Wires *(Deluxe model only)
4. MC Cartridge Passive Degaussing *(Deluxe model only)
As mentioned in one of my previous post 'tima', Wally Tools / J.R. has made an adapter to allow the Wally Scope to be mounted on a Dinolite RX-10-A professional USB microscope stand.

I don't want to share the photo J.R. emailed to me on WBF without having his ok / agreement first as he may not want to publish such information as it may have been a kind of DIY one of a kind fix he / Wally Tools have made just for themselves to use. Or maybe they will market it in the future when they have had some time and experience with using it ?

I also haven't asked J.R. yet via email if he can make more of them and how much it will cost as was thinking that I didn't need it. However, after using my Wally Scope over 3 full weekends over the past month, I think I will now ask him.

rDin

Oct 28, 2019
I already have the Dinolite RX-10-A, so this is interesting news... and I stand corrected on the necessity for a larger support for the WallyScope... less interesting now I have my own 3D printed stuff, but still interesting!

Coincidentally, I'm also using MSL (Ultra Eminent).

Reactions: Bonesy Jonesy

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
I already have the Dinolite RX-10-A, so this is interesting news... and I stand corrected on the necessity for a larger support for the WallyScope... less interesting now I have my own 3D printed stuff, but still interesting!

Coincidentally, I'm also using MSL (Ultra Eminent).
Yes, it would be great if we could mount the Wally Scope directly on a Dinolite RX-10-A Stand with it's quick release coarse adjustment and it's super fine adjustment. For sure, it would save me some time for setting up my Wally Scope to the process I go through at the moment.

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Do any of you who have a Wally Scope use a small calibrated horizontal bubble spirit level across the top of the Wally Scope microscope main body (painted white) to make sure your Wally Scope is perfectly horizontal ?

If so, which ones do you use ?

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
However the good news for us vinyl audiophiles is that Wally Tools do use an expensive and powerful (magnification) microscope set-up to be able to determine the 'zenith error' accurately for cartridges and then make and provide a shim to fit between the top of the cartridge and bottom of the head shell to compensate for this 'zenith error'.
Wally Tools does not provide any corrective shim for zenith error.

You are informed about your cartridge’s zenith error (if it’s detected correctly) and need to use a special protractor to correct it. If everything works well and anti-skating is correct then zenith error is fixed. It’s a far fetched approach from my point of view.

Last edited:

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Wally Tools does not provide any corrective shim for zenith error.

You are informed about your cartridge’s zenith error (if it’s detected correctly) and need to use a special protractor to correct it. If everything works well and anti-skating is correct than zenith error is fixed. It’s a far fetched approach from my point of view.
That is not strictly correct 'mtemur' regarding what you say about Wally Tools not providing a corrective shim for zenith error !

In fact they make two types i.e. a special kind of plastic and the more expensive brass one for Kuzma 4Point tonearm (9", 11" and 14") owners (that have a removable head shell) if you also send them your spare Kuzma 4Point head shell. Wally Tools then return your cartridge attached to the spare Kuzma head shell complete with a shim (if it needs one for zenith error and to obtain the correct SRA and VTA etc.) which you then attach to your 4Point arm (after you have made sure your tonearm is parallel to the platter with say the Wally Reference Tool and your arm doesn't have any unwanted horizontal forces with anti-skating off with using say the Wally Skater both tests using your other spare Kuzma 4Point head shell) i.e. ;

They also now undertake this cartridge assessment and set-up service with the Kuzma Ref 313 arm as well.

What you are talking about regarding Wally Tools informing you of your zenith error from a cartridge assessment (and then when you have received your cartridge back with the assessment you set-up the cartridge yourself using the WallyZenith tool along with a shim you can also buy from Wally Tools to correct for the zenith error and for SRA and VTA if it needs it called the 'WallyZenith') is correct for customers who don't have a Kuzma 4Point or Ref 313 tonearm and hence you can't send them a spare removable head shell (although maybe in the future they will also cater for other arm manufacturers).

The 'WallyZenith shim pack is this;

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
That is not strictly correct 'mtemur' regarding what you say about Wally Tools not providing a corrective shim for zenith error !
Unfortunately you’re misinformed and whatever I said earlier about zenith is correct. Wally CAN NOT and that’s why does not provide a shim for zenith, nobody can.

Wally provides a corrective shim for only azimuth and SRA. In your case or anybody who has a Kuzma tonearm can send a headshell to Wally in order to receive it cartridge installed. During that cartridge installation process Wally uses a corrective shim for SRA and azimuth and align zenith using a special protractor. Just like they do align overhang.
Other tonearm owners receive a shim and align overhang and zenith by themselves.

Please check this

Last edited:

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Unfortunately you’re misinformed and whatever I said earlier about zenith is correct. Wally CAN NOT and that’s why does not provide a shim for zenith, nobody can.

Wally provides a corrective shim for only azimuth and SRA. In your case or anybody who has a Kuzma tonearm can send a headshell to Wally in order to receive it installed. During that cartridge installation process Wally uses a corrective shim for SRA and azimuth and align zenith using a special protractor. Just like they do align overhang.
Other tonearm owners receive a shim and align overhang and zenith by themselves.
This is what is on the Wally Tools website for Kuzma 4Point and Ref 313 tonearm owners i.e. item 4. Zenith error correction !;
https://www.wallyanalog.com/kuzma-tonearm-pre-mount-service

Extract from the Wally Tools website link;

Kuzma Tonearm Pre-Mount Service
Cartridge alignment couldn't get any easier or more accurate! WAM Engineering will analyze your cartridge in our lab and "Pre-Mount" your cartridge to your Kuzma headshell with its customized shim. We then send the Kuzma Pre-Mounted cartridge/headshell to you and you complete the installation in less than 10 minutes.

With this service, we align your analyzed cartridge on your Kuzma headshell with its customized shim for:
  1. Overhang
  2. 92° stylus rake angle (dynamic) balanced against goal of <22° for VTA
  3. Ideal azimuth angle
  4. Zenith error correction

rDin

Oct 28, 2019

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
This is what is on the Wally Tools website for Kuzma 4Point and Ref 313 tonearm owners i.e. item 4. Zenith error correction !;
https://www.wallyanalog.com/kuzma-tonearm-pre-mount-service

Extract from the Wally Tools website link;

Kuzma Tonearm Pre-Mount Service
Cartridge alignment couldn't get any easier or more accurate! WAM Engineering will analyze your cartridge in our lab and "Pre-Mount" your cartridge to your Kuzma headshell with its customized shim. We then send the Kuzma Pre-Mounted cartridge/headshell to you and you complete the installation in less than 10 minutes.

With this service, we align your analyzed cartridge on your Kuzma headshell with its customized shim for:
  1. Overhang
  3. Ideal azimuth angle
  4. Zenith error correction
Where does it say shim for zenith? None of the above information mentions a shim for zenith. Please check this link.

You send your cartridge, they analyze and let you know about the zenith error together with other parameters. After that you correct zenith error using Wally Zenith protractor based on cartridge analysis report during cartridge installation process. If you have a Kuzma arm they do it for you.

Last edited:

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Where does it say shim for zenith? None of the above information mentions a shim for zenith. Please check this link.

You send your cartridge, they analyze and let you know about the zenith error together with other parameters. After that you correct zenith error during cartridge installation using Wally Zenith protractor based on cartridge analysis report
The shim that Wally Tools provides with your cartridge bolted to your removable Kuzma head shell corrects for all of the parameters they list including any zenith error they find from their analysis of your cartridge.

I believe they can do this because with great accuracy because they have expensive microscopes to analyse your cartridge including the cartridges zenith and they have their own Kuzma 4Point and Ref 313 tonearms mounted on a TT to check your cartridge both before a shim is mounted and after a shim has been made and mounted onto the head shell and the head shell mounted onto the Kuzma tonearm.

So when they know the corrections to be made for VTA, SRA and yes zenith (as they list in their website) from the analysis of your cartridge, they make a custom shim (you choose the material i.e. a special plastic or brass) for your cartridge and bolt this custom shim to your spare Kuzma head shell with your cartridge. They then check all of the cartridge parameters with the mounted cartridge to head shell with the custom shim on one of their ready mounted Kuzma 4Point or Ref 313 tonearms.

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
The shim that Wally Tools provides with your cartridge bolted to your removable Kuzma head shell corrects for all of the parameters they list including any zenith error they find from their analysis of your cartridge.
How do you know that the shim corrects all the parameters? Where is it written? Do you have a report from Wally that says the shim corrects zenith? Or you reached that conclusion because you received your Kuzma headshell with a cartridge pre installed by Wally? What about overhang? Does shim settle that too? Or is it aligned just like zenith during cartridge installation process?

Shim only corrects SRA and azimuth errors. Shim doesn’t correct zenith cause it can not. There are headshell slots that prevents it. Zenith error is corrected by alignment not with shim. Wally Zenith Tool (protractor) stands for that purpose.

Last edited:

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
How do you know that the shim corrects all the parameters? Where is it written? Do you have a report from Wally that says the shim corrects zenith? Or you reached that conclusion because you received your Kuzma headshell with a cartridge pre installed by Wally? What about overhang? Does shim settle that too? Or is it aligned just like zenith during cartridge installation process?

Shim only corrects SRA and azimuth errors. Shim doesn’t correct zenith cause it can not. There are headshell slots that prevents it. Zenith error is corrected by alignment not with shim. Wally Zenith stands for that purpose.
Hopefully J.R from Wally Tools will add information to this debate and topic (as well as other Wally Tool topics on this thread) in the coming days on exactly what Wally Tools do and do not do for their cartridge assessment and cartridge installation for Kuzma 4Point and Ref 313 tonearms !

rDin

Oct 28, 2019
I think you are both talking at cross purposes. mtemur is correct that the shim cannot correct zenith (only SRA/Azimuth), however, the WallyTools Kuzma service, where they install the cartridge for you DOES account for zenith:

Kuzma Tonearm Pre-Mount Service | WallyTools (wallyanalog.com)

"With this service, we align your analyzed cartridge on your Kuzma headshell with its customized shim for:
  1. Overhang
  3. Ideal azimuth angle
  4. Zenith error correction"

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
I think you are both talking at cross purposes. mtemur is correct that the shim cannot correct zenith (only SRA/Azimuth), however, the WallyTools Kuzma service, where they install the cartridge for you DOES account for zenith:

"With this service, we align your analyzed cartridge on your Kuzma headshell with its customized shim for:
  1. Overhang
  3. Ideal azimuth angle
Hi 'rDin', I had already posted this information on this thread a few posts back from the Wally Tools website regarding the cartridge parameters Wally Tools can correct with a customised shim for a Kuzma 4Point and Ref 313 tonearm !

Hopefully J.R. from Wally Tools will be able to contribute to this thread over the coming days to this interesting and important debate on zenith and zenith error correction and particularly what Wally Tools can and cannot do regarding zenith and zenith error correction for cartridges.

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019

1. Overhang
  3. Ideal azimuth angle
Thank you for clarifying things but I already clarified what Kuzma service offers. I noted on my prior posts multiple times that if you send a Kuzma headshell to Wally they install the cartridge and align overhang and zenith. The debate between @Bonesy Jonesy and me is whether a shim corrects zenith error or not. Please read my prior posts.

• Sad
Reactions: rDin

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing