Using Wally Tools

I personally don't believe people can hear a difference to music being played just on differences for different record thicknesses alone !

One of the main reasons, as you mention 'adrianywu' is the differences in the thicknesses of records only makes a small difference to the SRA (as well as small changes to VTA and VTF) which I doubt is audible to most if not all people!

I believe, this subject on record thickness differences and changing tonearm height etc. has also been researched and written by Wally Tools. From my understanding, the conclusion Wally Tools basically came to was that it is not worth the hassle to change the tonearm height every time you play a different thickness of record in order to gain a respectable increase in musical performance from your hifi system that most people could hear.

If one's system is resolving you can certainly hear a difference in listening to a 180 gm record when the system is set up for 120gm records and visa versa.

The question is, does it matter in long term listening? For me - no.

I compromise on setting up my carts for 180gm records. Playing 120gm records might have the tonearm tail up slightly higher vs 180gms.
I find the ever so slight more detail ( in general) in the upper frequencies vs tonearm tail slightly down.

YMMV.

Maybe you should set up your carts for 150gr records. Many records made in the 60’s are 150gr. It is a compromise of course but maybe the least one.

I'd like to draw attention to a thread in the vinyl calibration devices forum that started back in 2010 with continuing posts through this year with contributions from JR, ddk and others about alignment topics. It is a little embarassing to me to re-read part of that thread as it is redundant to posts I've made here in this thread, including complaining about the word 'zenith' vs 'yaw'. :rolleyes: Heh. Be that as it may...

The Importance of VRA SRA and Azimuth - pics.

This is a great thread !! Lots of good information there with a goodly amount of tips and explanation from JR about both these topics and using Wally Tools. Some of our newer participants may not have seen it.

Lest we or at least lest I forget. :)

Reactions: Bonesy Jonesy
Ordered the Wally Scope Adaptor to fit my Wally Scope to my Dinolite RK-10-A stand which is fitted with the Dinolite RK-10-PX Positioning Arm (which the Wally Scope attaches to) last Friday direct from Wally Tools.

Wally Tools / J.R. have done an excellent short YouTube video on the Adaptor;

Looking forward to receiving and using it.

Any news on the Wally Azimuth ?
Hello @tima ,

Our research continues on zenith error and has been dominating our time. We came into the research thinking it should be easy to simply use a test track to generate a signal using a fine line contact stylus and analyze the resulting waveforms for "instructions" on how to rotate the cartridge to correct for zenith error. (Of course, in our tests we use styli with a KNOWN zenith error following a microscopic measuring process.) Alas, the results are not consistently repeatable so the investigation continues. It would have been easy to put together a system that "kind of" does the job but that would not be something I could live with. Optimization means you've taken a particular system to its apotheosis of performance, not just made it "better" than it was before.

The problem starts with how the test records are cut and certainly doesn't end there. So far, there has been no substitute for microscopic inspection. We are still at work though!

It is possible to use the WallyZenith as a fiducial to LISTEN for zenith error correction but it is a bit tedious. I have had three persons report back to me on the process and emphatically praise the results. Interestingly, they all say they could hear differences with 0.5 degrees of angular change. These assertions are prone to confirmation bias but, nonetheless, all three persons insist with some confidence.

In the meantime, if you send me your cartridge for analysis, I can almost guarantee that when you get it back and install it as instructed that it will be a better experience than you have had with the cartridge to date. The sloppiness which which even the most expensive cartridges are made boggles the mind if you could see it for yourself.

My Wally Scope Adaptor to fit onto my Dinolite RK-10-A Stand & RK-10-PX2 XY Positioning Arm came this week from Wally Tools.

Fitted and set it up today for determining the 'contact edge to cantilever angle' and thereafter the 'dynamic cantilever angle' with both angles used in the Wally Tools online calculator to then determine the 'dynamic SRA'. This set up with the Dinolite equipment was much easier and quicker both to set it up i.e. correct position, respectable quality focus etc. and use compared to the original Wally Scope stand.
To get the additional height to reach my cartridge and to have some height adjustment with the RK-10-A, I put the Dinolite stand on a Scissor Stand on it's lowest position (which was great as it made the Scissor Stand rock solid stable).

thumbnail_IMG_4314.jpgthumbnail_IMG_4324.jpg

Some of the images I took with my Wally Scope set-up today to obtain the 'average dynamic SRA' from determining the 'average Contact Edge to Cantilever Angle' (from an average of three images with corresponding plotted measurements from the Wally Tools image software) and the 'average Dynamic Cantilever Angle' (from an average of six images with corresponding plotted measurements from the Wally Tools image software);
2x magnification - free space static image
thumbnail_IMG_4322.jpg

10x magnification - free space static image
thumbnail_IMG_4325.jpg

2x magnification - free space static image - zoomed in
thumbnail_IMG_4328.jpg

4x magnification - free space static image - zoomed in - determining angles for the 'average Contact Edge to Cantilever Angle'
thumbnail_IMG_4330.jpg

4x magnification - free space static image - zoomed in - determining angles for the 'average Contact Edge to Cantilever Angle'
thumbnail_IMG_4332.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4334.jpg

2x magnification - stylus on edge of Wally Scope Trimmed Record (record edge removed), platter rotating to determine angle for the 'average Dynamic Cantilever Angle'
thumbnail_IMG_4336.jpg

2x magnification - stylus on edge of Wally Scope Trimmed Record (record edge removed), platter rotating to determine angle for the 'average Dynamic Cantilever Angle' - Dinolite light source slightly moved from previous image above.
thumbnail_IMG_4340.jpg

2x magnification - stylus on edge of Wally Scope Trimmed Record (record edge removed), platter rotating to determine angle for the 'average Dynamic Cantilever Angle' - Dinolite light source slightly moved again from previous image above.
thumbnail_IMG_4342.jpg

The overall 'average Dynamic Stylus Rake Angle (DSRA) determined from the averages of the 'average Contact Edge to Cantilever Angle' and the'average Dynamic Cantilever Angle'. It gave 91.68 degrees.
thumbnail_IMG_4343.jpg

The overall 'average Dynamic Stylus Rake Angle (DSRA) determined from the averages of the 'average Contact Edge to Cantilever Angle' and the'average Dynamic Cantilever Angle'. It gave 91.68 degrees.
thumbnail_IMG_4343.jpg

Lotta patience here -- very nice job.

Can you reproduce the same setting with relative ease? If so, what would be a fascinating contribution is to give a sonic report with the SRA at your 91.68 and then say +/-- a half degree or more. Or, how far is the deviation from chosen SRA before you hear a significant difference in sound -- you get to judge what counts as significant. :)

Lotta patience here -- very nice job.

Can you reproduce the same setting with relative ease? If so, what would be a fascinating contribution is to give a sonic report with the SRA at your 91.68 and then say +/-- a half degree or more. Or, how far is the deviation from chosen SRA before you hear a significant difference in sound -- you get to judge what counts as significant. :)
Hi 'tima'. Thank you for the kind words. Very much appreciated.

Great question and request 'tima'.

However, as I feel my average dynamic SRA is pretty close to the so called magic 92degrees, and currently my vinyl sounds very nice (to my ears) (and which I hope will further improve once I have purchased and using my DIY Ultrasonic Record Cleaner - Elmasonic P120H & Kuzma Spinner in the coming months), I thought I will leave any further adjustments for now, although I may get the itch to adjust my tonearm height to obtain a dynamic SRA right on or just past 92degrees after all my records have been cleaned ultrasonically.

I will also need to put some time to one side over a weekend as what I undertook yesterday with the Wally Scope was from late morning to late afternoon.

Reactions: tima
Hi 'tima'. Thank you for the kind words. Very much appreciated.

Great question and request 'tima'.

However, as I feel my average dynamic SRA is pretty close to the so called magic 92degrees, and currently my vinyl sounds very nice (to my ears) (and which I hope will further improve once I have purchased and using my DIY Ultrasonic Record Cleaner - Elmasonic P120H & Kuzma Spinner in the coming months), I thought I will leave any further adjustments for now, although I may get the itch to adjust my tonearm height to obtain a dynamic SRA right on or just past 92degrees after all my records have been cleaned ultrasonically.

I will also need to put some time to one side over a weekend as what I undertook yesterday with the Wally Scope was from late morning to late afternoon.

It is somewhat tedious work that requires concentration and moving your hands 'just so'. Honestly I can't blame you for wanting to listen to the fruit of your work and relax. :)

If you have any questions when you get your diy RCM gear, just let me know.

It is somewhat tedious work that requires concentration and moving your hands 'just so'. Honestly I can't blame you for wanting to listen to the fruit of your work and relax. :)

If you have any questions when you get your diy RCM gear, just let me know.
Yes 'tima', it's full on concentration (with lots of cups of coffee :) ) and being very very careful with very slow movements and lots of adjusting etc. to find the ideal position for the Wally Scope. It's actually quite tiring (even though you don't realise it at the time only afterwards i.e. slept like a log last night lol), however I find it very enjoyable and very rewarding.

I still think I can get even better (sharper) images for determining the 'Dynamic Cantilever Angle' (i.e. slowly turning the platter with one hand (my left) and taking the shot with pressing the software button to capture the image with my right hand) with very subtle adjustments with the Wally Scope's position.

I find the Wally Scope's 10x magnification lens to be excellent to look at the condition of the stylus. I only undertook side views though yesterday. I would like to have made some frontal shots of the stylus too but was too tired to move the Wally Scope and set it all back up just for some front images. I might do this in a couple of weeks time.

Thank you 'tima'. A+. That is most kind and very much appreciated.
I will keep you and Neil fully updated with my journey in purchasing, receiving and using my DIY Ultrasonic Record Cleaning Equipment.

As requested by @J.R. Boisclair I copied my post down here from AM thread.

Even though there may be problems like test record quality, interface etc, I still believe that AM software is best for cartridge setup process. I consider visual methods like using a zenith protractor/tool, eyeballing are far more primitive compared to AM. There are too many variables, more precisely too many assumptions.

For example when you align zenith using a zenith tool you think that you’re all set as long as you’ve sent your cartridge before to Wally and you know it’s zenith error. But there are multi assumptions in this solution. Lets say your cartridge has 2.2 degrees zenith error reported by Wally.

- First assumption is trusting that it’s measured precisely. Considering difficulties of measurements with microscope I wouldn't take it granted.

- When you try to correct it using zenith tool you need to align cantilever to 2 degree line which is very hard to do visually. No matter what people say it’s incredibly hard to align cantilever parallel to a line on a mirror surface. Thinking that you aligned cantilever exactly parallel to respective line is second assumption. Additionally you can not align 2.2 degrees as far as I know. Not a great deal but you have to choose 2 or 2.5 lines.

- Cantilever angle (zenith) changes according to anti-skating. If you use Wally skater you set anti-skating according to VTF. When you play a record depending on the stiffness of suspension (soft or hard) the cantilever may skew more or less so cantilever may not be parallel to the lines you set before. Expecting cantilever's skew to match anti-skating you set earlier is another assumption.

- One side of suspension can be softer which is very common even if suspension is in great condition. In that case cantilever's skew angle will be effected by soft side when playing a record. Again zenith will be different than visually set. More assumptions.

If everything is perfect those assumptions are ok but nothing is perfect. That's why arc protractors are great cause it gets rid of assumptions by showing the actual arc that should be drawn by stylus. It is simple, no assumptions. Other protractors like smartractor or Feickert rely on assumptions such as; you can perfectly land one end of protractor over the pivot point and perfect overhang will be set when you align stylus to land over the dot.

When you rely on static alignment procedures for a dynamic system based on pre conceptions like Wally solutions (except arc protractor), multi assumptions are inevitable. In this zenith example; when you accept overhang, VTA/SRA and azimuth are set perfectly in advance there are still problems with zenith which will arise when the record is played. On the other hand when you use AM with a test record you align it dynamically and all factors (VTA, azimuth, ati skating etc) are at play. You only need to know where to look and to learn what the numbers are telling. I set zenith using AM V1 test record and check with AP test record. Track locations are different and cut at different places but both lead you to same zenith alignment. Even with AM V2 test record at hand being low in quality, it still gives same zenith results with V1. That’s why I said “far fetched“ for Wally’s multi assumption zenith solution. Those are my humble opinions.

I thought your list of items about why AM is 'better' or Wally is not 'better' an interesting list -- thanks for taking the time to do that write-up. I mostly agree that using visual methods to achieve results can be less exact while seeing numbers on a screen can give the impression of precision. Personal skill is a big factor in making physical adjustments regardless of the tool. Deciding whether to trust our eyes or the result of human programmed algorithms via computer is probably a matter of personal choice. People use both and can get satisfactory results from either.

For me any final result - however it is achieved - is tied to what I hear. I think this is why Analog Magik adds the proviso of audibility to it's statement: "The most import element in cartridge setup is to establish a correlation between a change you make, versus the results displayed on screen, or an audible sonic change." I've found achieving correlation between adjustment and numbers not always straightforward. But I've only used AM v1; maybe v2 is better. Bottom line for me is finding correlation between adjustment and what I hear.

Among your comments I found this one the most interesting:

If everything is perfect those assumptions are ok but nothing is perfect. That's why arc protractors are great cause it gets rid of assumptions by showing the actual arc that should be drawn by stylus. It is simple, no assumptions. Other protractors like smartractor or Feickert rely on assumptions such as; you can perfectly land one end of protractor over the pivot point and perfect overhang will be set when you align stylus to land over the dot. [tima edit]

First, a point of logic. I suspect most of us agree -- including any protractor manufacturer -- that "nothing is perfect." So I will omit what we believe impossible (perfection) from your statements about protractor assumptions -- as represented by the strike-throughs above -- presumably your statement does not hinge on that to make its point.

That aside, I agree that Smartractor and Feickert assume that one can land the stylus on a single point -- those tools depend on that for achieving their purpose, just as arc protractors depend on adjusting the cartridge to trace the arc. I agree that both can be difficult and challenging. I can't count the number of times I wish I could will my fingers to move a cartridge in its headshell a fraction of a millimeter. :)

Maybe it is because I'm used to doing it, but I have no problem using the UNI-Pro (Smartractor's big brother) to achieve both overhang and a cantilever lined up according to the lines on the mirror. Feickert, at least version 1 of Feickert offers a landing spot so large you could fit two or three stylus tips on it. Uni-Pro and Smartractor have a tiny divot that is the spot. Visually it is easy to see the stylus tip 'drop' into the divot. Those protractors offer parallax mirror assistance to get the cantilever aligned correctly. I'm not saying those tools are superior to an arc protractor, just that they can be used effectively or equally well.

Reactions: mtemur
That aside, I agree that Smartractor and Feickert assume that one can land the stylus on a single point -- those tools depend on that for achieving their purpose, just as arc protractors depend on adjusting the cartridge to trace the arc. I agree that both can be difficult and challenging. I can't count the number of times I wish I could will my fingers to move a cartridge in its headshell a fraction of a millimeter. :)
Thank you @tima explaining your cartridge setup procedure.

I wanted to draw attention to pre-acception, assurance embedded in Smartractor and Feickert kind of protractors other than their using difficulties.

The purpose of a protractor is to align the stylus to draw the correct arc (depending on the effective length) by setting parameters precisely. Setting overhang, determining P2S distance etc are all done IOT reach the correct arc. Because Drawing the correct arc by stylus is paramount in cartridge setup. When you use an arc protractor you can see the end result, the arc itself. As long as stylus precisely follows that arc, you are done. You don't have to worry about overhang, P2S distance or effective length. They're all gonna be alright because you can see the most important thing, the arc. There is no assumption on this approach as long as you use the correct protractor.

On the other hand protractors like Smartractor, Feickert etc don’t let you see the arc.
- First you try to precisely set the needle on the long arm of the protractor to the pivot point of tonearm but you can never be sure if it's landed on the pivot precisely due to parallax errors. Any mistake directly effects the arc.
- Those protractors are not single pieces any mistake or loose screw connecting overhang plate and long arm will directly effect the arc. Additionally you can never know what their manufacturing tolerances. Using a protractor made from two or multiple pieces is always a compromise.
- After that you set the cartridge for overhang by landing stylus on the dot over the protractor and you just assume it all went well and stylus will draw the correct arc. I'm not sure about that cause you don't see the arc and there are many things that can go wrong here. If arc is paramount (It is) then why do we use protractors that don't show the arc and depend on assumptions. That is what I tried to explain before.

Arc protractors use a direct method by aligning to the arc itself. Smartractor and Feickert use an indirect method.

The same logic can be used for Wally's zenith solution. It is an indirect method too. If stylus is precisely measured, if anti-skating and other parameters are set correctly, if suspension's flexibility is equal on both sides, if you can precisely align the cantilever with lines on Wally zenith tool etc then you assume zenith is aligned perfectly. Again there is a strong possibility that one or more things can go wrong here. This is exactly like the Smartractor, Feickert protractor approach depending on assumptions. If this, that and other things are good zenith is set correctly.

However AM lets you measure while stylus in the groove, reading. If zenith is correct you see it on the measurements. AM is not perfect but it's like an arc protractor and assumption free IMHO.

Last edited:

Even though there may be problems like test record quality, interface etc, I still believe that AM software is best for cartridge setup process. I consider visual methods like using a zenith protractor/tool, eyeballing are far more primitive compared to AM. There are too many variables, more precisely too many assumptions.

For example when you align zenith using a zenith tool you think that you’re all set as long as you’ve sent your cartridge before to Wally and you know it’s zenith error. But there are multi assumptions in this solution. Lets say your cartridge has 2.2 degrees zenith error reported by Wally.

- First assumption is trusting that it’s measured precisely. Considering difficulties of measurements with microscope I wouldn't take it granted.

- When you try to correct it using zenith tool you need to align cantilever to 2 degree line which is very hard to do visually. No matter what people say it’s incredibly hard to align cantilever parallel to a line on a mirror surface. Thinking that you aligned cantilever exactly parallel to respective line is second assumption. Additionally you can not align 2.2 degrees as far as I know. Not a great deal but you have to choose 2 or 2.5 lines.

- Cantilever angle (zenith) changes according to anti-skating. If you use Wally skater you set anti-skating according to VTF. When you play a record depending on the stiffness of suspension (soft or hard) the cantilever may skew more or less so cantilever may not be parallel to the lines you set before. Expecting cantilever's skew to match anti-skating you set earlier is another assumption.

- One side of suspension can be softer which is very common even if suspension is in great condition. In that case cantilever's skew angle will be effected by soft side when playing a record. Again zenith will be different than visually set. More assumptions.

If everything is perfect those assumptions are ok but nothing is perfect. That's why arc protractors are great cause it gets rid of assumptions by showing the actual arc that should be drawn by stylus. It is simple, no assumptions. Other protractors like smartractor or Feickert rely on assumptions such as; you can perfectly land one end of protractor over the pivot point and perfect overhang will be set when you align stylus to land over the dot.

When you rely on static alignment procedures for a dynamic system based on pre conceptions like Wally solutions (except arc protractor), multi assumptions are inevitable. In this zenith example; when you accept overhang, VTA/SRA and azimuth are set perfectly in advance there are still problems with zenith which will arise when the record is played. On the other hand when you use AM with a test record you align it dynamically and all factors (VTA, azimuth, ati skating etc) are at play. You only need to know where to look and to learn what the numbers are telling. I set zenith using AM V1 test record and check with AP test record. Track locations are different and cut at different places but both lead you to same zenith alignment. Even with AM V2 test record at hand being low in quality, it still gives same zenith results with V1. That’s why I said “far fetched“ for Wally’s multi assumption zenith solution. Those are my humble opinions.
Thank you for posting your points here, @mtemur. They are certainly worth discussion.

Of course, the WAM Engineering process has many variables but they are of a known quantity and therefore controlled for as much as possible. I think by the end of this post you may see why they are no more numerous (actually LESS) but far more controlled for than using a test record and assessing the electro-mechanical output.

It would appear that your underlying claim is that the “visual-mechanical” method (WAM Engineering) of cartridge optimization has too many variables and assumptions to be as accurate as the fully electro-mechanical process used by AM and therefore it is less able to provide performance optimization (defined here as the *highest possible* level of performance from a given system, as opposed to simply an improvement with an unknown degree of unrealized performance improvement).

Fair enough. Let’s take that apart and see what’s under the hood.

The first two concerns relate to whether an accurate job of measuring can be done consistently well using microscopy and, secondly, the zenith error correction can be done to no less than 0.5 degree discretization allowed by the WallyZenith.

The question of measuring error in microscopy is a valid concern and something the four engineers I’ve been working with (one of them a PHD with decades of experience in theoretical and applied optics) have helped me immensely to grapple with. Some degree of measurement error is inescapable but we have been able to actually determine what our limits of accuracy are by doing the tedious work of static and dynamic repeatability tests. These tests involve remeasuring the same thing many multiple times WITH (“dynamic”) and WITHOUT (“static”) changing the position of the subject under test as well as changing the settings of the microscope. We then tabulate the data captured and assess the standard deviation and limits of all measurements to determine our overall measurement accuracy. For example, following this work, we know that we are able to comfortably measure zenith error optically within +/-0.25 degrees tolerance, often better.

So, how good is that? As a practical matter, it is LESS than the limits of my ability to make a change in cartridge position on the headshell to adjust for zenith error correction. The smallest gradient I am able to adjust is about 0.5 degrees. A 0.5 degree rotation is NOT something I can feel happen. I can only SEE it happen if - and only if - I have an unobstructed view to the far end of the cartridge pins. Since these are the points attached to the cartridge which are the furthest away from the point of rotation, I can just BARELY see them move when I apply pressure and then I know I’ve hit 0.5 degrees (plus or minus a couple tenths of a degree at worst). How do I know this? By observing the change on the WallyZenith and by doing electrical tests.

YES!, we do electrical tests as part of our research. In fact, we’ve put in hundreds of hours so far this year doing such tests. But doing these electro-mechanical tests involving test records has underscored how problematic the effort is.

?For example, recall the static repeatability tests mentioned above: we found if we change NOTHING AT ALL with the cartridge, tonearm or playing radius and record a given track 10 times and assess for the variation in results among the dataset, we will see a few tenths of a degree shift in the data. It shouldn’t be happening, but it is. This is consistently happening, by the way, not just once in a while. From test record to test record, we see the variation in the data even though we have changed nothing at all. We are calling this the “noise floor”.

I have heard similar comments from AM users that the data will be different from repeat to repeat despite not having changed any mechanical parameter.

Remainder of my thoughts on next post...

Second post here

To what degree is this a problem then? Well, if my best ability to control the rotation a cartridge in a headshell is limited to 0.5 degrees and the electrical data has an instability that limits its own accuracy by somewhere around half my ability to sense a rotation in the cartridge body (around 0.25 degrees), then I am VERY comfortable with my 0.5 degree discretization limit. This principle applies equally well then to ANY method of measurement, whether optical (WAM Engineering) or electro-mechanical (AM). Therefore, - assuming both methods are capable of accuracy - neither has an advantage with regards to fine tuning in such a case as this.

Further, our computational analysis using MATLAB and Abaqus shows only a VERY TINY amount of mechanical distortion through the introduction of 0.25 degrees zenith error. Is it audible? Here’s an anecdote:

I have had three customers use the WallyZenith to correct for zenith error BY EAR following my instructions and all of them insist they can hear a difference of 0.5 degrees. Confirmation bias? Maybe. It hasn’t been blind tested to see if such sensitivity is “real” but I have no reason to doubt the claims other than a healthy scientific skepticism.

In any case, if my physical limit of cartridge adjustment is 0.5 degrees then I’m not likely to be halving the discretization of the WallyZenith to 0.25 degrees until I come up with a control mechanism (already in mind) that makes it reliably worthwhile AND audible.

Your two points about the cantilever position varying depending upon damper characteristics are true but reflect only a small part of the equation. As you know, there are many factors which influence cantilever angle and therefore influence the damper behavior due to the 6:1 lever arm. However, we know the MEAN of these variations with regard to groove amplitude and playing radius. The purpose of the WallySkater is to aim for that mean so that the system can be at its ideal playing conditions most of the time on most records over most of the playing surface. (As a matter of clarification/correction, the WallySkater does measure horizontal force as a % of VTF *because* skating force studies prove that skating is influenced heavily by coefficient of friction which changes across a predictable range so once you know your VTF and the effective moment arm, you can know your average skating force.)

If you use a test record for this setting you are compelled to ask: since coefficient of friction and playing radius impact skating force, what groove amplitude is being chosen for the track and at what radius of the record? Is the playing radius at a point where the effective moment arm is at its mean over the entire playing surface? What groove amplitude has been chosen for the test track and how does this relate to the average coefficient of friction induced by normal musical play? These are variables not controlled for in such testing processes as far as I can tell.

Lastly, and most importantly to me, what is this test track that is being used to dial in anti-skating force measuring? I certainly HOPE it isn’t measuring how the stylus is shifted in the groove due to horizontal torque force since you could easily get the stylus positioned very well in the groove but ALSO still have your damper very badly asymmetrically compressed (another good example of out of control variables.)That would NOT be an optimal setup. I have never seen any scientific study done on how to electro-mechanically measure damper compression symmetry but if it exists, please bring it to my attention.

Remainder of my thoughts on next post...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing