Videos: Cessaro Zeta, Dava, turntables, Alieno, Thrax phono

I guess you have a tendency to like Pioneer Exclusive (TAD) drivers since this one is also equipped with them if I’m not mistaken.

I listened big Cessaro speakers a couple of times in a local audio shop. The ones with separate 5meters wide horn bass cabins. They sound great and IMHO sturdy, thick horns and impressive build quality play a major role on final sound but it’s too big for almost everyone.

Both Tad (4001 used in this model with two ET703 tweeters) and radian beryllium (latter used in horns universum) offer tremendous recording and performance insights. They have to managed well to not sound bright and metallic.

I have seldom liked Cessaro, tang’s Gamma was getting better and better when he switched, and Audioquattr’s is now singing.

Both Audioquattr and I agree with you about the size, whether here or at tang’s it feels like you need 5 more meters for drivers to align Universum are smaller and more coherent, as is a TAD based DIY like Leif’s.

I also like Altec aluminium drivers, and some paper (which have better first note timbre).

Here the dynamic swing is particularly huge that is credit to Dava, it is mental on note to note true energy and swing it shows, and the tad lets the nuance through as it is very clear and transparent.

Altec woofer quality is much superior and coherence/integration at crossover can be higher

Last edited:
Both Tad (4001 used in this model with two ET703 tweeters) and radian beryllium (latter used in horns universum) offer tremendous recording and performance insights. They have to managed well to not sound bright and metallic.
When I checked the back of Cessaros here I only saw Exclusive and TAD. Maybe it’s an early model.

Both Audioquattr and I agree with you about the size, whether here or at tang’s it feels like you need 5 more meters for drivers to align Universum are smaller and more coherent, as is a TAD based DIY like Leif’s.
My friend thought about buying them seriously but couldn’t find a solution to place those big bass horns in a less ugly way. A person can easily get inside of bass horns. It’s good for cleaning but very ugly in a living room. BTW I don’t care the look but I cannot afford them or a house that it can fit.

When I checked the back of Cessaros here I only saw Exclusive and TAD. Maybe it’s an early model.

My friend thought about buying them seriously but couldn’t find a solution to place those big bass horns in a less ugly way. A person can easily get inside of bass horns. It’s good for cleaning but very ugly in a living room. BTW I don’t care the look but I cannot afford them or a house that it can fit.
TAD 4001 is the latest in prod TAD model. 4003 was more advanced but out of production, you can get a pair at 9k euro or so. Ralph is now started his own drivers.

The woofer were never TAD in Cessaro. Initially Supravox, then his own.

Vox Olympian also uses TAD 2002 and 703 tweeter above the Vitavox

Brahms piano concerto. Second half of the clip captures the essence of the first movement

Single driver no crossover vs large 5 way

Have been visiting audioquattr for around 7 years, since he had Magico M3 then moved to Cessaro zeta. His system finally is sounding so good that I started listening at 9 am and sat intensely till 7:30 pm fatigue free save some quick breaks. If all of you tight I liked the Dava before, my recommendation for Dava has gone up exponentially

But, without further ado…this is going to be my biggest video report. Will carry on

First, let’s challenge the myth. Panels do female vocals best.

After that, how 'bout we tackle the myth that horns do female vocals best?

Even scarier to think we might get WAAR compare video

Reactions: gian60
Altec vs Cessaro. Altec phono plus pre plus power is 18k euro direct,

What turntable , arm and cartridge was Yanislav using Kedar ?

Even scarier to think we might get WAAR compare video
Nothing to be scared of, bonzo. I actually thought that was pretty cool seeing your competitive spirit initiate that challenge.

As far as I know, we’re all here to learn and grow and have fun in this rather fascinating hobby, right?

Last edited:
Unmodded Garrard 301 with SPU

My analog strategy is now a headshell strategy to swap Dava stereo, Dava mono, and SPU as they go on same headshell, heavy arm.

With Dava, TT is less important so have to confirm if restored idler or belt like used Brinkmann balance. Schroeder too likes the STST Motus II.

My analog strategy is now a headshell strategy to swap Dava stereo, Dava mono, and SPU as they go on same headshell, heavy arm.

With Dava, TT is less important so have to confirm if restored idler or belt like used Brinkmann balance. Schroeder too likes the STST Motus II.

Exactly why I have gone vintage idler , brace of tonearms sporting SME collar , headshell mounted pickups.
This will be a turntable project rig just to have fun with !

Last edited:
Reactions: Scott Naylor
This is one of my best videos. This is sooo intense a preformance I sat through all 15 mins transfixed, and while playing back on vide got the same goose flesh I did then. It keeps growing in intensity. If you watch the In My Time of Dying video from Earl's Court 1975, you will see the song keeps going on with Page, Plant, et al egging each other. I wonder if there is a similar video of Heifetz and Piatigorsky doing that. You require 11 mins to listen to this clip.

The recording quality is average, and one thing I have learned is that The Dava reference brings to life such recordings by adding a jolt in them

The tone for this is off on my mobile not on my sound box

Last edited:
Although I do listen a single driver speaker without a crossover I liked 5 way Cessaro video more.
I liked both video and in person the Pnoe more. Bill's Pnoe is not ideally set up so not as balanced on everything as Audioquattr's but on this track it was, and when properly set up it is amazing, and Yamaura single driver remains my favorite speaker. Audioquattr too preferred the Vyger RS Mayer Pnoe (I had asked him to go listen to it, after which he changed a lot of things in his system over the years)

On this particular video the flow is better and rise and nuance I find easier to hear, more ease due to easy drive free flowing. I also find the rise in scale more. I heard 3 cube audio I did not like them, though 2 were with digital.

I liked both video and in person the Pnoe more. Bill's Pnoe is not ideally set up so not as balanced on everything as Audioquattr's but on this track it was, and when properly set up it is amazing, and Yamaura single driver remains my favorite speaker. Audioquattr too preferred the Vyger RS Mayer Pnoe (I had asked him to go listen to it, after which he changed a lot of things in his system over the years)

On this particular video the flow is better and rise and nuance I find easier to hear, more ease due to easy drive free flowing. I also find the rise in scale more. I heard 3 cube audio I did not like them, though 2 were with digital.
I heard AERs and liked them but still single driver sound. If you find the perfect balance and tune it to your setup a single driver speaker can sound great but it’s very hard to do it to full extend. On the other hand judging a setup from a video may not give the right answers. So, I can be very wrong on my judgement here. The same goes for equipment too. Liking a speaker or amp in a showroom or someone’s setup doesn’t always mean you’ll like it in yours.

I heard AERs and liked them but still single driver sound. If you find the perfect balance and tune it to your setup it can sound great but it’s very hard to do it to full extend. On the other hand judging a setup from a video may not give the right answers. So, I can be very wrong on my judgement here. The same goes for equipment too. Liking a speaker or amp in a showroom or someone’s setup doesn’t always mean you like it in yours.
I have never liked the AER Pnoe set up except in one way, the Vyger RS full Mayer system specifically with Mayer's 46 poweramp. The sounded incredible every time I heard it for two years and changing poweramps, carts, etc broke it down. It is a very fussy speaker, maybe due to lack of crossover the balance is difficult to find. It can easily get an irritating high or out of balance bass if matching is not proper.

Reactions: mtemur
Altec vs Cessaro. Altec phono plus pre plus power is 18k euro direct,

The Altec system gets pretty muddy sounding when the piano and orchestra are really going at it. The sounds blend together.

The Cessaro keeps it all separated better but is a bit thin in the body of the instruments...especially the massed strings. Piano is clearer than Altec with orchestra playing hard but it also lacks weight.

Reactions: tima and PeterA

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu