Videos: Cessaro Zeta, Dava, turntables, Alieno, Thrax phono

I'm a little baffled about the rhetorical nature of this post.

Aren't you extremely well aware that Kedar and I have diametrically opposing views on the usefulness of the video recording of audio systems?

That’s correct, so why did you let Brad lead you to the remark?

Reactions: PeterA
That’s correct, so why did you let Brad lead you to the remark?
I generally assume the best from our members in terms of honest and ingenuous questions.

I generally assume the best from our members in terms of honest and ingenuous questions.

OK it was quite obvious why he planted such a close ended question to you

I'm a little baffled about the rhetorical nature of this post.

I know you are extremely well aware that Kedar and I -- and that you and I -- have diametrically opposing views on the usefulness of the video recording of audio systems.

That is completely true. But I’m making a different point. I’m talking about whether or not videos represent the sound of the system. They either do or they do not to varying degrees.

Why would someone post a video to demonstrate the performance of the system if he does not think it is representative of the listening experience? if you think it’s a rhetorical question and not worth answering, that’s fine and the discussion is over.

A lot of questions on the forum go unanswered. Just like in personal conversations, especially these days.

Why would someone post a video to demonstrate the performance of the system if he does not think it is representative of the listening experience?

I do not know. But you are kind of assuming the conclusion here. Someone might post a video for a reason other than to "demonstrate the performance of the system."

For example, I have sometimes posted videos not to demonstrate the performance of the system, and not because I believe digital video recordings are representative of the listening experience, but simply because people have asked me to.

If someone is posting a video for the purpose of demonstrating the performance of the system then I would assume such poster has a very different view than I do of the usefulness of digital video recordings of audio systems.

Reactions: sujay
I know you are extremely well aware that Kedar and I -- and that you and I -- have diametrically opposing views on the usefulness of the video recording of audio systems.
Have you tried to play these videos on your outdoor swimming pool system? They will sound very good there compared to your iMac

Last edited:
As for scale, both speakers are great at Taiko

Have you tried to play these videos on your outdoor swimming pool system? They will sound very good there compared to your iMac
No, I have not.

I know. I was suggesting you try it
Thank you.

I don't think there's any easy way to inject YouTube playback into the overhead sound system. I think it's literally easier just to use the iPhone as an line-level input into my preamp on the big stereo.

Reactions: bonzo75
I do not know. But you are kind of assuming the conclusion here. Someone might post a video for a reason other than to "demonstrate the performance of the system."

For example, I have sometimes posted videos not to demonstrate the performance of the system, and not because I believe digital video recordings are representative of the listening experience, but simply because people have asked me to.

If someone is posting a video for the purpose of demonstrating the performance of the system then I would assume such poster has a very different view than I do of the usefulness of digital video recordings of audio systems.

I asked the question in the context of Bonzo’s specific Cesaro videos currently being shared and discussed not for other reasons like sharing new music or just because someone asked Bonzo to do it.

Bonzo seems to be trying to make a point about the sound of the systems as demonstrated through the videos, in absolute terms and in relative terms when he includes two different systems for comparison in the same post.

Reactions: bonzo75
Thank you.

I don't think there's any easy way to inject YouTube playback into the overhead sound system. I think it's literally easier just to use the iPhone as an line-level input into my preamp on the big stereo.

I thought it would be easy to Bluetooth to

I thought it would be easy to Bluetooth to
Thank you for the idea.

No; the overhead is captive. It is controlled as part of an elaborate integrated remote control system.

I'm happy you liked the overhead system (Revel speakers) outside by the pool. The inside PSB C-LCR speakers in the ceiling of the upper level are quite a bit better sounding still.

Last edited:
Why would someone post a video to demonstrate the performance of the system if he does not think it is representative of the listening experience?
Even Fremer when he posted a video of his system saying it was representative people were arguing it could not be

Even Fremer when he posted a video of his system saying it was representative people were arguing it could not be
he created the confusion since he also posts files directly from his phono (or preamp) to a Tascam. few do that. and also he has a more capable video recorder than a phone. so there are lots of reasons for some erroneous assumptions.

i'm sure whatever he posted he was specific (i don't pay attention so have no idea, but he typically is quite specific). but casual readers will think what they think.

he created the confusion since he also posts files directly from his phono (or preamp) to a Tascam. few do that. and also he has a more capable video recorder than a phone. so there are lots of reasons for some erroneous assumptions.

i'm sure whatever he posted he was specific (i don't pay attention so have no idea, but he typically is quite specific). but casual readers will think what they think.

This was not a Tascam. It is on the acoustically coupled videos thread

This was not a Tascam. It is on the acoustically coupled videos thread
of course, i understand. but since he uses multiple methods of recording, that is a source of confusion. casual readers will assume things.

one aspect of system videos is the idea of a cell phone recording. it's not perfect, but a somewhat common method for compares.

Aside from the obvious fact that people are critiquing what are in theory very high fidelity systems from recordings using cheap Chinese sourced Apple mics in iPhones (myself included), one thing that’s become apparent to me (having gone from a fully treated room to one with virtually no treatment) is that these iPhone mics are obviously much better than my ears at picking up the room echo.

In the recordings I’ve made since moving to the untreated place, the sound is vastly different (and better) being heard live than what I myself hear in recordings. There is a very negative “distantness” of sound and room coloration that’s just not there for me when I listen live. I heard way less of that disparity when recording in the previous treated space.

And so, mics love a studio environment a lot more than our ears do. Ergo, you hear way more of it in YT recordings than psychoacoustics would allow you to pick up live.

My 2c at least.

Reactions: djsina2
Aside from the obvious fact that people are critiquing what are in theory very high fidelity systems from recordings using cheap Chinese sourced Apple mics in iPhones (myself included), one thing that’s become apparent to me (having gone from a fully treated room to one with virtually no treatment) is that these iPhone mics are obviously much better than my ears at picking up the room echo.

In the recordings I’ve made since moving to the untreated place, the sound is vastly different (and better) being heard live than what I myself hear in recordings. There is a very negative “distantness” of sound and room coloration that’s just not there for me when I listen live. I heard way less of that disparity when recording in the previous treated space.

And so, mics love a studio environment a lot more than our ears do. Ergo, you hear way more of it in YT recordings than psychoacoustics would allow you to pick up live.

My 2c at least.

So you are saying that your telephone recordings that you make of your own system do not represent the sound you hear from your listening seat, right?

My 2c at least.
Yes, they do emphasize the room more than what one perceives live…I have noticed this with all my recordings. However, I noticed this to some degree even with really good mic setups and I think a more general conclusion is our brains process this stuff differently than the raw data on a recording. If that is true, then the recording might be more representative of the actual sound in the room but not representative of what you heard in the room.

Could have a lot to do with the directionality of the microphones and from where they pick up the sound. I am guessing that an iPhone mic is an omni directional device. Most of the better in room mic recordings I have heard are with cardioid or other much more directional patterns.

Our ears will not be omni directional…they have a very complex directional filter system

Last edited:
So you are saying that your telephone recordings that you make of your own system do not represent the sound you hear from your listening seat, right?

It never is an exact sound, when are say representative it need not be 100 percent, but good enough to accompany with comments and let people know it is a good system/component worth auditioning or not

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu