Videos of Acoustically-Coupled Audio Recordings

Hmmmm, we hear all this hubbub about Wadax and Magico and yet the Wadax / Magico config clearly lacked dynamics even sounding muddled and lacking crisp detail while the TAD room was definitely a bit more natural and musical.

Both rooms seemed a bit too much under the influence of the room i.e. overly warm, overly rich, overly thick, etc. lacking a natural sense of space / air, especially the Wadax / Magico room.

I'd suggest cranking all 3 videos up to max volume for best presentations.
Your video has a similar engagement factor to the TAD, the Wadax is poor in comparison. A lot of that is probably down to the streaming version being inferior to the CD. Guess I need to buy the CD.

not sure if this has been posted before, and it's hard to go through the entire thread to check, so, pardon me for posting this:

dsd creator Ayataka Nishio looking into the widely adopted YouTube practice of recording how speakers play in a room since many people nowadays like to hear how different two speakers are without going into a showroom.

https://www.jas-audio.or.jp/journal_contents/journal202108_post15823

turn on your google translation tool.

Your video has a similar engagement factor to the TAD,
I don't think so and I certainly hope not. Though the TAD video isn't too bad.

the Wadax is poor in comparison. A lot of that is probably down to the streaming version being inferior to the CD. Guess I need to buy the CD.
If part of the problem was intentional i.e. streaming, it would seem to be an unbright decision as I'm guessing all the resources required to exhibit at Munich are hefty. My guess is those who assembled the Wadax configuraiton were a bit lacking in several areas. Then again, the same can be said about the TAD room - just to a lesser degree.

Here are two vinyl 'rips' one recorded with Tascam X8, the other with MixPre6:

I am doing a series of videos this week to see how close I can get to capturing the full extent of my system's performance for Youtube.

Each video will use the same track with various mic and preamp/interface combinations. The song I have selected for the test will be Mumbo Jumbo by Brent Lewis.

Level 1 Setup: Single Neumann U87AI, Vermouth Reference XLR cable, and a Beachtek audio interface/preamp
Level 2 Setup: Same as above, but a Xtuga audio interface/preamp
Level 3 Setup: Same as Level 2, but using 2 Neumann U87Ais
Level 4a Setup: 2 Neumann U87 Ais, Antelope Audio Interface, Vermouth Reference cables and Grace Designs mic preamp
Level 4b Setup: 2 Neumann U87 Ais, Antelope Audio Interface, Vermouth Reference cables and Elysia Audio mic preamp

Here is Level 1

I have completed all levels of recordings of Mumbo Jumbo.

Level 1 is already on Youtube so this is level 2, 3, and 4.

You can download the recordings here and compare vs waiting for me to upload them to Youtube and get the additional compression.

WeTransfer Recordings

The link to the recordings expire on June 5th

Reactions: Rexp

You can download the recordings here and compare vs waiting for me to upload them to Youtube and get the additional compression.

WeTransfer Recordings

I wish that you would have selected a song with human vocals instead of a sound effects track, but nevertheless I appreciate your efforts with doing this.

Since you and your son are getting into the studio and mastering studio world marketplace those clients will be a lot more skeptical and informed than audiophiles so having the ability to convey accurate sound recordings through videos will be beneficial to you. I will be a very expensive recording set up and we should listen toJust how much different does it make compare to installing at $18 external microphone to an iPhone.

Thanks for sharing the raw videos without YouTube processing. Will listen to them when I get home.

WeTransfer Recordings

Thanks! Did you achieve your aim of getting close to how your system sounds in-room?

Thanks! Did you achieve your aim of getting close to how your system sounds in-room?

Yes and no.

I feel with the gear used it is a win. It is about 70% of the way there (and I was shooting for 80%). The preamps did make a noticeable improvement, but on the other hand I would have liked to get a bit further. I could get more performance, but the time and money investment for the extra 30% is not going to be cheap or easy. So for now I am ok with 70% and will incrementally add more to the recording equipment and try different techniques as time permits

Yes and no.

I feel with the gear used it is a win. It is about 70% of the way there (and I was shooting for 80%). The preamps did make a noticeable improvement, but on the other hand I would have liked to get a bit further. I could get more performance, but the time and money investment for the extra 30% is not going to be cheap or easy. So for now I am ok with 70% and will incrementally add more to the recording equipment and try different techniques as time permits
70% seems like a great result, will be interesting to see how the YouTube version fares.

Here are two vinyl 'rips' one recorded with Tascam X8, the other with MixPre6:

I only listened to the first (Coltrane). I don't know how the vinyl rip was done, how YouTube affects any of it either, but listening to the same track on Qobuz is better IMO. There's too much musical information lost on the video - listening on Qobuz is more involving. What is it that you hear in the vinyl rip?

Mozart Symphony 41 "Jupiter," Otto Klemperer, Philharmonia Orchestra, Kingsway Hall (March 1962)

Last edited:
Reactions: Rexp
Here is a comparison of Zoom Q2N, Zoom Q8 and iPhone, starts 22.35:

Huge differences in sound quality.
What do you conclude from this, Rexp, about the efficacy of the internal iPhone mic as a digital recording device?

What do you conclude from this, Rexp, about the efficacy of the internal iPhone mic as a digital recording device?
This capture seems tonally quite threadbare and lacks air compared to the Zoom Q8, what do you think? The differences between recorders do seem to be more pronounced when live music is used.

Mozart Symphony 41 "Jupiter," Otto Klemperer, Philharmonia Orchestra, Kingsway Hall (March 1962)

ooof. This sounds like a very natural record that has some great tones and natural space. Being held back by the system. You should use these kind of records to tune the system. I hope you get to hear this record played well. If you send it to me, I can eventually do you a couple of videos on horns.

ooof. This sounds like a very natural record that has some great tones and natural space. Being held back by the system. You should use these kind of records to tune the system. I hope you get to hear this record played well. If you send it to me, I can eventually do you a couple of videos on horns.
Thank you for your comments.

This was sort of a test, and, in my opinion, you flunked.

The correct answer is: "Let me first listen to the same recording of this same performance on a system I'm familiar with, and then I will let you know how close your video sounds to the in-the-room sound I am hearing."

Thinking you can judge the sound of an unfamiliar system in an unfamiliar room on the basis of a recording of which you have no idea how it sounds illustrates the foolishness and futility of digital videos of analog playback used in this way.

This particular post recording (which is on tape) subjectively sounds a little bit bright to me. I have a different recording on LP which sounds warm and full and natural, and reminds me of what I hear at Walt Disney Concert Hall.

Last edited:
Thank you for your comments.

Unfortunately this was sort of a test, and, in my opinion, you flunked.

The correct answer is: "Let me first listen to the same recording of this same performance on a system I'm familiar with, and then I will let you know how close your video sounds to the in-the-room sound I am hearing."

Thinking you can judge the sound of an unfamiliar system in an unfamiliar room on the basis of a recording of which you have no idea how it sounds illustrates the foolishness and futility of digital videos of analog playback.

This is the Columbia original correct? Sorry, but the system is lacking. The recording is great. As I said, send it to me and we will see who is right

This is the Columbia original correct? Sorry, but the system is lacking. The recording is great. As I said, send it to me and we will see who is right

Kedar, do many people send you their original recording LPs so that you can travel around the globe playing it on other people's systems? How long do you keep them before sending them back?

• Haha
Reactions: tima

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing