Videos of Acoustically-Coupled Audio Recordings

Kedar, do many people send you their original recording LPs so that you can travel around the globe playing it on other people's systems? How long do you keep them before sending them back?

No they don’t but thought I would try my luck as I could really show Ron how good that LP sounds. Otherwise he will never know

Reactions: PeterA
No they don’t but thought I would try my luck as I could really show Ron how good that LP sounds. Otherwise he will never know
This is so convoluted, Kedar.

You understand better how this tape sounds played back on a system you have never heard in a room you have never been in by listening to a digital video of this audio recording than I understand how it sounds listening to it myself in my room?

Again, the foolishness and futility of the video concept.

Reactions: Al M. and Argonaut
This is the Columbia original correct?
I don't know the Columbia reference. My tape is Mozart Symphony 41 "Jupiter," Otto Klemperer, Philharmonia Orchestra, Kingsway Hall (March 1962).

The recording is great.
I have on vinyl the same title by Von Karajan at Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra, a London recording, 360R 56003. It is a Japanese The Super Analogue Disc pressing.

The sound on the LP of the Von Karajan performance is much closer to what I hear at Walt Disney Concert Hall than is the sound on the tape of the Otto Klemperer 1962 performance.

This is so convoluted, Kedar.

You understand better how this tape sounds played back on a system you have never heard in a room you have never been in by listening to a digital video of this audio recording than I understand how it sounds listening to it myself in my room?

Again, the foolishness and futility of the video concept.

So you have the tape of this, and the LP?

yes I can hear on video better than what you think of it in the listening room. I just don't trust your listening judgement anymore after trying that Digital EQ on Gryphon, finding it had exactly what you did not want in it (brightness), and consistently underdriving both your speakers and not hearing it. So it will be good if you keep producing videos and leave it for us to judge.

• Haha
Reactions: Al M.
I don't know the Columbia reference. My tape is Mozart Symphony 41 "Jupiter," Otto Klemperer, Philharmonia Orchestra, Kingsway Hall (March 1962).
Ok - the original is a Columbia SAX. Your tape sounded a lot natural like the original LP, but it was held back (seemed constrained). The swings and dynamic range should be much higher.

As soon as you have your own high-end audio system I will bring the LP to your home, and we will listen together.

Reactions: bonzo75
Why are you asking me?

Shouldn't you be asking Kedar when will he have a stereo?

I thought you we re being slightly saracastic here .
Kedar having a system???
I seriously doubt it ll ever happen.
But thats not the issue with kedar , if you judge others you have to be able to receive judgement as well .
Which off course is not possible if you dont have a system of your own

I just don't trust your listening judgement anymore after trying that Digital EQ on Gryphon, finding it had exactly what you did not want in it (brightness)
Not on this thread, but feel free to tell me what you're talking about, because I have no idea what you're talking about. I never put digital EQ on Gryphon. (I am totally against running a full range signal through digital EQ or DSP, and I have posted this numerous times.)

and consistently underdriving both your speakers and not hearing it.

You are deducing incorrectly, perhaps by assuming things since I don't always answer all of your questions.

Jadis (80 watts) on Pendragon ribbon panels is very borderline for big classical. The consensus is that it is not enough power for big classical. I agree with this.

But I don't solve my system building equation to maximize realism on big classical. You shouldn't apply your system building equation and musical priorities to somebody with different musical priorities.

I thought you we re being slightly saracastic here .

No. Textual posts on a public forum already are susceptible enough to misunderstanding and misinterpretation without intentional sarcasm.

Not on this thread, but feel free to tell me what you're talking about, because I have no idea what you're talking about. I never put digital EQ on Gryphon. (I am totally against running a full range signal through digital EQ or DSP, and I have posted this numerous times.)

Ok, not digital EQ, but analog EQ, to adjust the Gryphon because they were troubling you exactly in the frequency range you were trying to avoid. Please tell me how this happens. You did all your auditions to avoid exactly that, and that is what you end up with? And you don't think it can be because you auditioned the Gryphon speaker with different electronics to the masala (different brands in phono, pre, and power) that you have now?

I am referring to the discussion that started on this post.

Jadis (80 watts) on Pendragon ribbon panels is very borderline for big classical. The consensus is that it is not enough power for big classical. I agree with this.

But I don't solve my system building equation to maximize realism on big classical. You shouldn't apply your system building equation and musical priorities to somebody with different musical priorities.
If you admit it under driver for big classical then videos are accurate, because that is what is heard on this Klemperer Jupiter, as was heard on the Mehta Mahler 3 on the pendragon.

Making post 3162 meaningless

Thank you for your comments.

This was sort of a test, and, in my opinion, you flunked.

The correct answer is: "Let me first listen to the same recording of this same performance on a system I'm familiar with, and then I will let you know how close your video sounds to the in-the-room sound I am hearing."

Thinking you can judge the sound of an unfamiliar system in an unfamiliar room on the basis of a recording of which you have no idea how it sounds illustrates the foolishness and futility of digital videos of analog playback used in this way.

This particular post recording (which is on tape) subjectively sounds a little bit bright to me. I have a different recording on LP which sounds warm and full and natural, and reminds me of what I hear at Walt Disney Concert Hall.
I can't tell much about a system from iPhone recordings either. Try a Samsung S24 as a minimum.

I have on vinyl the same title by Von Karajan at Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra, a London recording, 360R 56003. It is a Japanese The Super Analogue Disc pressing.

The sound on the LP of the Von Karajan performance is much closer to what I hear at Walt Disney Concert Hall than is the sound on the tape of the Otto Klemperer 1962 performance.

Bonzo refers to Columbia SAX 2486 Released in 1963 in Stereo. A mono version Columbia 33CX 1843 was released the same year.

Your tape copy is probably a 21st C. transfer from ... some other medium, perhaps digital. Tape provenance of this recording is obscure on the Web from what I see.

The 1989 180g London 360R 56003 under the The Super Analogue Disc series is from by the King Record Company. This may be a half-speed remaster from tape made by RTI. My experience with various Super Analog records finds them somewhat warm.

Last edited:
Reactions: bonzo75
The Super Analogue Disc series is from by the King Record Company. This may be a half-speed remaster from tape made by RTI. My experience with various Super Analog records finds them somewhat warm.
These LPs weren’t good. The Schubert Arpeggione special was awful compared to the original. Tang had it too said the same

These LPs weren’t good.
This is a subjective hobby.

Have you heard the record I'm talking about or not? If you haven't heard the pressing of the recording of the performance I am specifically talking about what is the point of making a generalization with no meaning?

My experience with various Super Analog records finds them somewhat warm.

I commented myself that I find it warmer and richer and fuller sounding than the Otto Klemperer.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing