Videos of Acoustically-Coupled Audio Recordings

I can't tell much about a system from iPhone recordings either.

Quite frankly dicking about with an iPhone or similar , relying on an internal microphone , whilst recording venue performance ( which is after all what an audio system in a music room is ) and expecting anything more than a pale impression of the event rather than a reasonable aural facsimile is akin to mining for fools gold , can be a bit of fun yes , as a tool for analysing a HiFi system entirely remotely ? … not really.

For the same ball park as an Official Apple refurbished iPhone 13 pro you could be recording yours or others HiFi system with one of these :

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/zoom-f3

Paired with one of these :

And for any budding CO-ME-DIA-NS amongst us the answer is No , this rig will not be capable of phoning your Therapist .

Quite frankly dicking about with an iPhone or similar , relying on an internal microphone , whilst recording venue performance ( which is after all what an audio system in a music room is ) and expecting anything more than a pale impression of the event rather than a reasonable aural facsimile is akin to mining for fools gold , can be a bit of fun yes , as a tool for analysing a HiFi system entirely remotely ? … not really.

For the same ball park as an Official Apple refurbished iPhone 13 pro you could be recording yours or others HiFi system with one of these :

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/zoom-f3

Paired with one of these :

And for any budding CO-ME-DIA-NS amongst us the answer is No , this rig will not be capable of phoning your Therapist .
Sure, you have to sync with the video I guess?

The 1989 180g London 360R 56003 under the The Super Analogue Disc series is from by the King Record Company. This may be a half-speed remaster from tape made by RTI. My experience with various Super Analog records finds them somewhat warm.

I commented myself that I find it warmer and richer and fuller sounding than the Otto Klemperer.

The sound on the LP of the Von Karajan performance is much closer to what I hear at Walt Disney Concert Hall than is the sound on the tape of the Otto Klemperer 1962 performance.

On the few Super Analogues I have the warmth is somewhat cloying and yes, full. That sound is embued on each of those regardless of performance or recording hall. I avoid them now. I don't know the characteristics of the Disney Hall. How would you describe its acoustics?

Can I gather from your posting observation of your tinnitus and hearing damage that you tend toward somewhat warmer recordings and components? Do you think the slight edginess in the 4kHz to 6kHz region you hear from your system might be influencing your choices? That range would mostly be what some refer to as the upper midrange and the presence region.

There is a lot of discussion of the Jupiter Symphony on the Web. Coming out of a lengthy blog on the Talk Classical site there is summation of reccomended performances:

1. Szell (cond.), Cleveland Orchestra (1963)
2. Walter (cond.), Columbia Symphony Orchestra (1960)
3. Bernstein (cond.), Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra (1984)
4. Mackerras (cond.), Scottish Chamber Orchestra (2007)
5. Böhm (cond.), Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra (1962)
6. Hogwood (cond.), Academy of Ancient Music (1983)
7. Mackerras (cond.), Prague Chamber Orchestra (1986)
8. Walter (cond.), Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra (1938)
9. Gardiner (cond.), English Baroque Soloists (1989)
10. Reiner (cond.), Chicago Symphony Orchestra (1954)

This is a subjective hobby.
Recordings are not a subjective hobby. Difference is easy to hear. Not all records sound good on all types of systems but differences are quite clear. You use the term subjective too broadly to explain away lack of exposure and/or knowledge
Have you heard the record I'm talking about or not? If you haven't heard the pressing of the recording of the performance I am specifically talking about what is the point of making a generalization with no meaning?
I have heard the Columbia Sax. I haven’t heard the tape that you have. Either way, it is easy to hear the constraint in it. additionally you can record the Karajan LP to see if it shows the same dynamic constraint. If it doesn’t, then the tape is the issue. If it does, it is the system.

Reactions: Rexp
Recordings are not a subjective hobby.
Fundamentally wrong.

Difference is easy to hear.
This is separate from the subjective perception of the sound of recordings.

You use the term subjective too broadly to explain away lack of exposure and/or knowledge
Classic arrogant mistake of subjective preference masquerading as objective fact.

I haven’t heard the tape that you have. Either way, it is easy to hear the constraint in it.
It is ludicrous to think you understand the sound of an unfamiliar recording of an unfamiliar performance you have never heard on any system.

It is silly to pretend you understand the sound of an unfamiliar analog recording of an unfamiliar performance played back on an unfamiliar system in an unfamiliar room over a digital video.

Last edited:
On the few Super Analogues I have the warmth is somewhat cloying and yes, full. That sound is embued on each of those regardless of performance or recording hall. I avoid them now.

I have no desire to convince you of something. Nothing I have posted here suggests I'm trying to convince you of something. I reported my personal subjective preference between two different recordings/performances as played on my stereo.

You're welcome to avoid whatever records you dislike that sound too warm to you. Brightness, screechiness is not natural to me. That's what I hear a bit of from the Otto Klemperer. I never hear that in Walt Disney Concert Hall (except from the piercing sound of a trumpet, and things like that, of course).

It's okay that we have different subjective preferences in sound. A member here who is a big fan of videos has mentioned to me that he has found to sound awful some of the videos of your system.

I don't know why you're trying to substitute your subjective judgment for my subjective perception of what I hear in a recording hall.

You appear to be insinuating that I don't know what music should sound like. That's fine. But I think it is an arrogant comment, especially in a subjective hobby.

I don't know the characteristics of the Disney Hall. How would you describe its acoustics?
I hear nothing bright and screechy which is bright in an unnatural way.

Can I gather from your posting observation of your tinnitus
It has been my practice now for many years on WBF to post very honestly and transparently. I use my system thread as a way to allow members and readers to accompany me on my personal audio journey.

I do not use my system thread to try to convince people of things or to try to show how smart or knowledgeable or experienced I tell myself I am.

Of course some people enjoy trying to use that honesty and transparency against me. That's fine. I don't care. Those aren't the people I'm writing for.

I have occasional tinnitus. I think I've noticed it less over the last year or two.

and hearing damage
Whose high frequency hearing acuity does not decline as age increases?

that you tend toward somewhat warmer recordings and components?
You would have to define "somewhat warmer recordings and components." I consider Lamm to be slightly warm components.

A Shindo-type system to me is slow, warm, molasses, drinking bourbon in front of a fireplace with a Baileys and coffee.

My high-end audio objectives are:

1) recreate the sound of an original musical event,

and

4) create a sound that seems live

For classical music my benchmark for this is only what I hear from different seats at Walt Disney Concert Hall.

Do you think the slight edginess in the 4kHz to 6kHz region you hear from your system might be influencing your choices?
Which system?

Choices about what?

Last edited:
Reactions: Argonaut
It is ludicrous to think you understand the sound of an unfamiliar recording of an unfamiliar performance you have never heard on any system.

It is silly to pretend you understand the sound of an unfamiliar analog recording of an unfamiliar performance played back on an unfamiliar system in an unfamiliar room over a digital video.
Now that your post covered "ludicrous, "silly", "fundamentally wrong", and "arrogant",

please post a video of the Karajan and the Mahler 3 Mehta (I think Don has that one) to prove those above adjectives. If the finding is inconsistent across them, I agree it was wrong to make a judgement call on one tape recording I was not familiar with. If the finding is consistent across all three of them, then those above adjectives describe you.

@Ron Resnick , are these latest videos of your system after you adjusted speaker and listening seat locations following the new Clarisys set up guide?
Last week I moved the listening chair forward to solve for the .83 equation.

It is a different listening perspective. I feel closer to, and more involved with, the sound-stage. To my surprise I did not lose much, if any, solidity or clear delineation of center imaging on solo vocal.

Do you have any before and after videos for comparison?

Not befores and afters isolating only moving the chair up about 14 inches.

I have no desire to convince you of something. Nothing I have posted here suggests I'm trying to convince you of something. I reported my personal subjective preference between two different recordings/performances as played on my stereo.

You're welcome to avoid whatever records you dislike that sound too warm to you. Brightness, screechiness is not natural to me. That's what I hear a bit of from the Otto Klemperer. I never hear that in Walt Disney Concert Hall (except from the piercing sound of a trumpet, and things like that, of course).

It's okay that we have different subjective preferences in sound. A member here who is a big fan of videos has mentioned to me that he has found to sound awful some of the videos of your system.

I don't know why you're trying to substitute your subjective judgment for my subjective perception of what I hear in a recording hall.

You appear to be insinuating that I don't know what music should sound like. That's fine. But I think it is an arrogant comment, especially in a subjective hobby.

It has been my practice now for many years on WBF to post very honestly and transparently. I use my system thread as a way to allow members and readers to accompany me on my personal audio journey.

I do not use my system thread to try to convince people of things or to try to show how smart or knowledgeable or experienced I tell myself I am.

Of course some people enjoy trying to use that honesty and transparency against me. That's fine. I don't care. Those aren't the people I'm writing for.

I have occasional tinnitus. I think I've noticed it less over the last year or two.

You would have to define "somewhat warmer recordings and components." I consider Lamm to be slightly warm components.

A Shindo-type system to me is slow, warm, molasses, drinking bourbon in front of a fireplace with a Baileys and coffee.

and

For classical music my benchmark for this is only what I hear from different seats at Walt Disney Concert Hall.

Which system?

Choices about what?

Last week I moved the listening chair forward to solve for the .83 equation.

It is a different listening perspective. I feel closer to, and more involved with, the sound-stage. To my surprise I did not lose much, if any, solidity or clear delineation of center imaging on solo vocal.

Not befores and afters isolating only moving the chair up about 14 inches.

Ok. Now, do you place the recording mic where your ears are or somewhere else? If the mic is not at the listening location, that might account for your listening impressions not matching video viewers’ impressions. Do you feel the videos represent the sound of your system as you hear it?

your listening impressions not matching video viewers’ impressions.
I don't think video viewers' impressions have much, if any, meaning or significance. So I have not given any thought to those impressions matching or not matching what I hear in the room.

Do you feel the videos represent the sound of your system as you hear it?
I don't think any video represents the in-the-room sound of any system, except, possibly, with respect to overall tonal balance and to sense of detail/resolution, on a relative, unreferenced, basis.

I don't think video viewers' impressions have much, if any, meaning or significance. So I have not given any thought to those impressions matching or not matching what I hear in the room.

I don't think any video represents the in-the-room sound of any system, except, possibly, with respect to overall tonal balance and to sense of detail/resolution, on a relative, unreferenced, basis.

Ron, while this video is better than some of your previous ones in representing tonal balance in broad strokes, the tonal balance is still off in important ways. For example, the orchestral violins have a thin 'peakiness' that is simply not there when listening to this recording in your room.

As far as sense of detail/resolution goes, I hope you are not serious. The video does not even remotely give an idea of what your system is capable of when it comes to that, also on this recording.

Why do you post videos and then thank people when they share their impressions?

Why do you keep posting many versions of fields of gold girl with guitar videos of your various system configurations?

Why do you post videos and then thank people when they share their impressions?

Why do you keep posting many versions of fields of gold girl with guitar videos of your various system configurations?
Simply because I am curious and amused about what people will say or conjure up.

I thank respondents because if people take the time to listen to a video and make a comment, I appreciate it.

• Sad
Reactions: Rexp and abeidrov

and

Which system?

Choices about what?

"I don't know why you're trying to substitute your subjective judgment for my subjective perception of what I hear in a recording hall."

I commented that the Super Analogue records that I have in my collection sound warm, cloying and full. I said nothing about your perceptions of a recording hall. Your judgement remains your own.

"You appear to be insinuating that I don't know what music should sound like. That's fine. But I think it is an arrogant comment, especially in a subjective hobby."

You do insinuate. However it is disingenuous to refer to your fabricated insinuations as a comment made by someone else.

For the record, here is what I wrote:
On the few Super Analogues I have the warmth is somewhat cloying and yes, full. That sound is embued on each of those regardless of performance or recording hall. I avoid them now. I don't know the characteristics of the Disney Hall. How would you describe its acoustics?

Can I gather from your posting observation of your tinnitus and hearing damage that you tend toward somewhat warmer recordings and components? Do you think the slight edginess in the 4kHz to 6kHz region you hear from your system might be influencing your choices? That range would mostly be what some refer to as the upper midrange and the presence region.

• Haha

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing