Videos of Acoustically-Coupled Audio Recordings

Rexp

Aug 31, 2022
I find Youtube vids can easily reveal whether a digital source sounds pleasant or unpleasant (as is often the case).

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Youtube Original:

I think the YouTube video sounds less dry and less menthol and less harsh than Michael's version. There are a number of possible explanations for why Michael's version sounds the way it does, having nothing to do with the in-the-room sound qualities of Michael's components (e.g., frequency response of the earbud microphones, my usual criticisms of iPhone video recordings, etc.).

I think that members who enjoy disliking Wilson speakers specifically, and contemporary audio systems in general, are gleefully, and incorrectly, jumping to conclusions about the inherent sound qualities of Michael's components.

Do any of you happen to have Lori's album on vinyl at home? I do. Lori's rendition on this album of "Killing Me Softly" is the most natural sounding, and the most emotionally engaging, recording of this track I have ever heard.

I stipulate that I am puzzled that Michael finds that recording to be representative of the sound of his system. Given that I have that album, and that I have played that album on my system, and that I have a good sense of what Alexx V and XVX sound like (they sound conceptually similar), and that I have a reasonable sense of the sound of darTZeel amplifiers, I am skeptical that that video accurately represents the sound of Michael's system.

Last edited:
Reactions: Al M.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I find Youtube vids can easily reveal whether a digital source sounds pleasant or unpleasant (as is often the case).

I question if this makes logical sense, given that the 30 cent cheap (or $2 or whatever) ADC in a phone and the lossy AAC YouTube codon are more of a bottleneck than a regular digital source in a typical system. Also, don't forget the cheap mic in a phone.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

tinkerphile

Nov 27, 2021
The speakers sound dynamic, but it sounds to me like there is a lot of coloration, so I would say this is far from "neutral" and not to my taste.
If I were to listen to them live and come to the same conclusion, it would tend to prove that YouTube videos, in spite of all their limitations (the microphone used being the main culprit, and then the playback system you view it on), are informative.
Hmm...who said "neutral?" I guess I missed that. Of course, my only point in providing the video is because the particular speaker was referenced together with marginal videos, and this vid was a fair example, highlighting the very point...

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Lori Lieberman "Truly"

Reactions: mtemur

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I think the YouTube video sounds less dry and less menthol and less harsh than Michael's version. There are a number of possible explanations for why Michael's version sounds the way it does, having nothing to do with the in-the-room sound qualities of Michael's components (e.g., frequency response of the earbud microphones, my usual criticisms of iPhone video recordings, etc.).

I think that members who enjoy disliking Wilson speakers specifically, and contemporary audio systems in general, are gleefully, and incorrectly, jumping to conclusions about the inherent sound qualities of Michael's components.

Do any of you happen to have Lori's album on vinyl at home? I do. Lori's rendition on this album of "Killing Me Softly" is the most natural sounding, and the most emotionally engaging, recording of this track I have ever heard.

I stipulate that I am puzzled that Michael finds that recording to be representative of the sound of his system. Given that I have that album, and that I have played that album on my system, and that I have a good sense of what Alexx V and XVX sound like (they sound conceptually similar), and that I have a reasonable sense of the sound of darTZeel amplifiers, I am skeptical that that video accurately represents the sound of Michael's system.

In effect you're saying mf is wrong in his assessment of his own video of his own system.

Who should we believe?

Reactions: bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

You are puzzled because you are a repeated apologist for bad sounding high end Wilson type speakers and because you won’t give up after five years of repeating this video discussion loop. Is this coming up every two days now?

Reactions: tima

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
In effect you're saying mf is wrong in his assessment of his own video of his own system.

Who should we believe?

Ron and Al. That Is Al M, not GPT

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Who should we believe?

Logically, we have to believe Michael.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
  • Haha

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Logically yes, sonically too. And as per Ron bot and Al GPT M it does not make sense

MF makes a living assessing sound and has experience with a broad range of speakers. I don't know about his experience with videos -- that may not matter as it is all sonic assessment and comparison. I take the apologism to be more about mf than wilson. I don't know why this keeps coming up but we wouldn't write about it if it didn't.

Reactions: bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
. I take the apologism to be more about mf than wilson.

If it is it means Ron assesses videos correctly and knows it is poor sound. It is fine if he cannot come to terms with it.

Reactions: tima

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I was watching a video of a system playing that standard birds track, and my cat walked over interested. So even she certified this as a real enough depiction of the sound

• Love
Reactions: Ron Resnick

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I was watching a video of a system playing that standard birds track, and my cat walked over interested. So even she certified this as a real enough depiction of the sound

Sure, I can recognize a solo violin on my cheap standard car radio too. Doesn't mean it actually sounds like one.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
this is excellent

Way better than the Fremer video, for sure!

Less menthol, as Ron would say. Less thin, warmer. More promising for what it might sound like on the actual system.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing