Videos of Acoustically-Coupled Audio Recordings

I would not know how to locate a link, but it was on a thread recently. It might be on the TAS YouTube channel of one of Fremer's channels. He discusses the in-ear microphone he uses too. Quite interesting. There was a lot of discussion here about it.

Sorry, I just realized who we are talking about, so I've seen the video (we did discuss it previously).

You make yourself look stupid, small and a wanker. Of course you'd call my post calling out your offensive use of the word "parroted" a "tantrum". Everything YOU post is a tantrum. You have nothing else to offer but passive aggressive tantrums. I learned from Wally. Smart people learn from others. You have learned nothing. You are pathetic. But don't think you can post insults and not get called out for it. You don't know what the word eloquence means.
LOL. Mike, I perceive tho art a stickler for accuracy whenever you review?

A phone video of my Altec 408A drivers which I just set up in a cabinet I had made based on the Silbatone model, but with thicker wood. I like the results (so does my girlfriend!). The speakers have not yet been played much.

Those drivers have a slight hump between 2-5kHz, so I applied a little EQ (active filtering in the playback, no tampering with the video itself) - will need to refine this.

Nice little speakers, which I plan to setup in the room I use as a home office. Here I recorded them in my living room without any attention to proper placement.

Diana Krall, sorry, I did this for friends who know this track well.

I'll take some videos with my better mics at some point. One of the XLR jacks is stuck in the recorder, and there is static, so I need to get it fixed.

Measurement of one speaker before EQ:
View attachment 111828

After EQ:
View attachment 111829

The EQ tames a slight brightness in that range without compromising the overall sound.

Work in progress, as always.
Sounds pretty nice, use passive notch filter no active pleasse.it willl sounds better gurantee.

Reactions: hopkins
Late to the party....

I would have to disagree with Ron on this. As most know I post a lot of video content for my Youtube channel. This obviously could hit someones inbox via the YouTube algorithm and they would be exposed to something that had never heard of.

But to the point of a cheap ADC in an Iphone, well you would be surprised how much can be delivered to an end users appreciation when evaluating the playback. I get many calls saying that this is what they are looking for based on watching a lot of videos online and the sound being what brought them to me.

Many of the comments I get from people that have watched these recordings have expressed there is "emotion" and "body" in these recordings not found in others. Reading about gear is often filled with hyperbole and doesn't give any kind of sense of how the gear would sound unless you have been following a reviewer for years and understand their point of view and listening style. Only then can their descriptions be extrapolated to be relevant to the reader. So this is a free and easy way to convey that and no matter how descriptive an article is written it cannot in the same way.

An example would be this recording I did in Cyprus of the Contendo system on my Iphone. If played back through at least desktop speakers it would definitely showcase the body and impact of the drums not duplicated in other recordings of flagship systems

Then there is the video I did with Jana. To my surprise it ended up going viral and reached 1 million views in less than a few months so there is clearly a huge interest when done right.

• Haha
Reactions: Al M. and hopkins
But to the point of a cheap ADC in an Iphone, well you would be surprised how much can be delivered to an end users appreciation when evaluating the playback. I get many calls saying that this is what they are looking for based on watching a lot of videos online and the sound being what brought them to me.

In your experience, are customers how buy based on a video without a demo satisfied with their decision?

Last edited:
In your experience, are customers how buy based on a video without a demo satisfied with their decision?

100%. The individuals that buy sight unseen based on the video evidence are about 1/10. So it is rare. Most use that as a basis to hear it in person after having enjoyed the online presentation, then go to a show or book a flight to validate it is for them.

Reactions: hopkins
(...) Then there is the video I did with Jana. To my surprise it ended up going viral and reached 1 million views in less than a few months so there is clearly a huge interest when done right.

Done right, but IMO what made it viral was the clever provocative title "Listen to a ONE MILLION DOLLAR hi-fi system from Aries Cerat! ". Youtubers love eccentricity.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scott Naylor
It definitely wasnt the recording. There was a distinct buzzing in the top of the frequency range that was eliminated with a filter. You can hear it in the recording it is very colored like a blanket over the speaker

Done right, but IMO what made it viral was the clever provocative title "Listen to a ONE MILLION DOLLAR hi-fi system from Aries Cerat! ". Youtubers love eccentricity.
it's a clickbait like "the best etc..more likes more followers equals more money.
is comparable to the supermarket the most expensive items are always at eye level, the cheap ones are at foot level. that's sales-promoting psychology is not forbidden but clever.

Reactions: MPS and tima
I didnt link it to derail the topic, but to demonstrate that video recordings are:

1) Flawed and do not represent the full scope of the system, but..
2) Can and do provide a level of insight into the quality of sound that the hardware and system can deliver even if highly degraded
3) And also have a lot of interest in the audio community

I went to CAF last year and there were a lot of people that told me that had watched that video quite a few times...shared with their friends, etc. So there is a point both in level of interest and a semblance of performance even if watered down through a phones ADC.

The title and virality just means it achieved what many reviewers and resellers often gripe about. "We need more females, young people, etc to get into hifi"

FWIW, here's another microphone comparison: Samsung tablet vs. Tascam build-in microphone vs. Tascam & Superlux S502.

Timestamps are in the video's description.
Streamed from Qobuz: https://open.qobuz.com/track/31274450

P.S. will add an iPhone recording in a few days

Last edited:
Reactions: DasguteOhr and Rexp
So there is a point both in level of interest and a semblance of performance even if watered down through a phones ADC.

Agreed, and there are quite a few phone videos that have caught my eye (and ears). Perhaps this trend will motivate manufacturers and/or distributors to produce their own higher quality recordings outside of a crowded show context (but in a listening room setting, not a recording studio!).

mm
Late to the party....

I would have to disagree with Ron on this. As most know I post a lot of video content for my Youtube channel. This obviously could hit someones inbox via the YouTube algorithm and they would be exposed to something that had never heard of.

Many of the comments I get from people that have watched these recordings have expressed there is "emotion" and "body" in these recordings not found in others. Reading about gear is often filled with hyperbole and doesn't give any kind of sense of how the gear would sound unless you have been following a reviewer for years and understand their point of view and listening style. Only then can their descriptions be extrapolated to be relevant to the reader. So this is a free and easy way to convey that and no matter how descriptive an article is written it cannot in the same way.

An example would be this recording I did in Cyprus of the Contendo system on my Iphone. If played back through at least desktop speakers it would definitely showcase the body and impact of the drums not duplicated in other recordings of flagship systems

Per chance, you're not from the greater Boston area, are you? I'm having difficulty seeing how your videos are drawing customers toward you. Crank mine all the way up.

I"m seeing the term "Wanker" being used in this thread on WBF. I live on both sides of the pond, and seeing it being bandied about got me properly homesick for my North London neighbourhood. Belsize Park, NW3.

Reactions: wil

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing