Vinyl Bars/Audiophile Bars/Japanese Jazz Cafe's

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I feel you Jeffrey, I love to pour good wine and have a few snacks (cheeses, crackers, etc.) before heading down into the music room to spin vinyl. The friends I’ve made in Portland tease me how much they hate that I’ve done this — now they all set out some form of snacks when we visit each other to share our systems. My wife thinks this is hilarious.

I can appreciate David’s comments… it would seem a most intimate and personal sharing something perhaps culturally suited.

My wife and I have a favorite little tasting room we like to visit, but it is only for a single label. The wine maker is a real music and jazz lover we’ve discussed putting a system in their space, including a turntable. The cost is usually measured against having local musicians play live, which they do on weekends. For many patrons just having some background music is plenty… but a space needs to be treated a wee bit because after you get a dozen people into a space, chit-chatting and laughing the sound levels get high very quickly. Then the comments from the person pouring wine become difficult to hear. (Ever notice just how loud a restaurant is?)
My wife will actually make a meat and cheese board when I have music lovers over to visit the system. My wife was out of town when I had from friends over and they asked "where are the snacks?" I guess I need to step up my game.

These Jazz Kissa bars are very small and extremely intimate. I really need to visit one someday.

Reactions: Bobvin

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Once I have sold my equipment and set up the perfect venue for listening to my music, I spend the remaining years of my life as their number one customer.
@Rensselaer your post #37 helped to flesh out your motives. after reading it I would ( imho ) take the following course:

1) look for the right protege. your records and knowledge are the primary value. Try and turn someone already into, lets say jazz, towards your curated AAA classical etc.

2) Start planning to sell off most of your system. Sorry if this sounds harsh. Most of it is 'too nice' and not suited to a bar or an unknown successor.

3) Start building a system, use for now and one day for the venture. your 301 could be a good basis or maybe an EMT 930, maybe even a Lenco? Sme 3012r or FR64S etc. Build a vintage system that can be (a) good enough (b) less costly overall and (c) comprised of gear that is likely to appreciate- a compelling point for the one to eventually buy all this.

I have helped open half a dozen restaurants over the years...point 1 is the most important and perhaps most difficult.

Last edited:
Reactions: Michael Davitt

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Vinyl Jazz Bar in Cologne , Germany:

Vinyl Jazz Bar in Berlin, Germany:

just 2 examples for Jazz bars in Germany, one exists since around 50 years, now with Linn sound system, one is relatively young with a vintage UK sound system as well (classic B&W plus Quad)

I love to be at the Metronom :)

Rensselaer

VIP/Donor
Mar 23, 2021
Vinyl Jazz Bar in Cologne , Germany:

Vinyl Jazz Bar in Berlin, Germany:

just 2 examples for Jazz bars in Germany, one exists since around 50 years, now with Linn sound system, one is relatively young with a vintage UK sound system as well (classic B&W plus Quad)

I love to be at the Metronom :)
I like the rhinoceros ethos/model: vintage equipment, no DJ, bartenders put on LP and play each side through completely.

Unfortunately, I have not heard back from the commercial wine dealer that I approached so it appears as if all the great input everyone has contributed to this thread has been academic. Still, I very much appreciate everyone’s helpful expertise and experience. Thank you.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Mark, one thing you need to realise. The hospitality sector out there is absolutely stretched to the limit. In the UK we're struggling w supply line issues, shortage of sufficiently trained staff, 1001 post Covid and mid Brexit maelstroms. It may be your idea would be more attractive in calmer times (remember those?), just not practical at this precise moment in time.

Michael Davitt

VIP/Donor
Nov 3, 2020
There’s a vinyl bar near my house that plays lps while people are drinking and eating.I enjoy my visits there.
This sounds like a lovely way to integrate my two favorite past times.. a festive repast and be regaled by song. As long as it doesn't involve rap or heavy metal which upsets my digestion.

Best audiophile venues London: Bars, Restaurants and Clubs with incredible sound systems ~ https://www.standard.co.uk/culture/...lliant-corners-spiritland-aures-a4077171.html

Last edited:

audioquest4life

Sep 23, 2020
Metronom is closed until further notice.

Rensselaer

VIP/Donor
Mar 23, 2021
This sounds like a lovely way to integrate my two favorite past times.. a festive repast and be regaled by song. As long as it doesn't involve rap or heavy metal which upsets my digestion.

Best audiophile venues London: Bars, Restaurants and Clubs with incredible sound systems ~ https://www.standard.co.uk/culture/...lliant-corners-spiritland-aures-a4077171.html

I read that Brilliant Corners plays pure analogue records only on Sundays, reservations and door charge apply.

For the remainder of the week dj’s come in and play their digital- to-vinyl musak on the expensive equipment so the punter’s get what they get on their iPhone and ear buds, only louder. I hear the conversation drowns that music out.

Seems to me, the point of the original design has been forgotten (except on Sundays).

Ed.P

Mar 12, 2018
Here's another (kickstarter) book that may be of interest:

TOKYO JAZZ JOINTS​

A photobook documenting Japan's vanishing world of jazz 'kissa' coffee shops and bars.

Rensselaer

VIP/Donor
Mar 23, 2021
Here's another (kickstarter) book that may be of interest:

TOKYO JAZZ JOINTS​

A photobook documenting Japan's vanishing world of jazz 'kissa' coffee shops and bars.

Thanks for that.
It is a shame (IMHO) that they are dwindling. They are small because of high cost of space in Tokyo, and few seats makes for few takings.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing