Visit to Audiophile Bill to hear his horns project

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
I know these statements, I also said 8 years ago. It's just annoying when a €120 driver destroys the sound of a driver ten times as expensive. a small modification and a xover with components that match the sound. was just a tip from me you don't have to do it. But statements like "useless" show me that you don't have much knowledge of the subject.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
No crossover component or mod can change the plastic signature imo
i love the plastic sound. Next time I will not forget to set the image stabilization on my tablet. and I also wash the lp i'm lazy dog.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Somewhere a few pages back we were talking about field coil power supply quality. I just added 3M EMI Absorption pad (AB7000HF) above the transformer in my Wolf Von Langa DC PSU, and grounded the chassis to a Shunyata Denali ground post with Amazing results!
Lower noise floor, increased clarity, more precise localization, soundstage depth… WOW!
Conclusion is that the quality of the DC that powers field coils makes a Huge difference. I don’t fully understand it - especially why the noise floor is lower; perhaps the noise on the DC current is causing the voice coil to fluctuate slightly, creating the background noise?
The PSU was already powered by filtered AC from the Denali, so I’m shocked that the EMI pad and ground helped…

Reactions: SlapEcho

dcathro

Sep 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Somewhere a few pages back we were talking about field coil power supply quality. I just added 3M EMI Absorption pad (AB7000HF) above the transformer in my Wolf Von Langa DC PSU, and grounded the chassis to a Shunyata Denali ground post with Amazing results!
Lower noise floor, increased clarity, more precise localization, soundstage depth… WOW!
Conclusion is that the quality of the DC that powers field coils makes a Huge difference. I don’t fully understand it - especially why the noise floor is lower; perhaps the noise on the DC current is causing the voice coil to fluctuate slightly, creating the background noise?
The PSU was already powered by filtered AC from the Denali, so I’m shocked that the EMI pad and ground helped…

Hi,

Which version of the 3M absorber are you using (10, 30 or 50) ?

Thanks

SlapEcho

Dec 15, 2021

Don't stop there. You'd be amazed where that 3M EMI absorption can be applied giving you more than typical incremental improvements.

Reactions: Zeotrope

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest

I see you made the same report in 2019 on DIY Audio.

We're continually surprised about how and why stuff in our gear is impacted by this and that. The current here is powering the driver's magnet in yr custom horns. Who makes the driver?

Is there such as thing as current ripple (ripple current) which could cause the diaphragm to move similar to voltage ripple from an amplifier? Did you hear any hum from the speaker when it was not receiving signal from an audio amplifier before you applied the EMI absorption pad? And compared to the pad in place?

I'll suggest you send your report to von Langa. It will be interesting to learn what he has to say about about current 'quality' and possible EMI noise. How does it (if it does) effect the magnetic field of the magnet, and compared to a permanent magnet. Curious.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
I see you made the same report in 2019 on DIY Audio.

We're continually surprised about how and why stuff in our gear is impacted by this and that. The current here is powering the driver's magnet in yr custom horns. Who makes the driver?

Is there such as thing as current ripple (ripple current) which could cause the diaphragm to move similar to voltage ripple from an amplifier? Did you hear any hum from the speaker when it was not receiving signal from an audio amplifier before you applied the EMI absorption pad? And compared to the pad in place?

I'll suggest you send your report to von Langa. It will be interesting to learn what he has to say about about current 'quality' and possible EMI noise. How does it (if it does) effect the magnetic field of the magnet, and compared to a permanent magnet. Curious.
The field coil drivers are the RCA1443 and Supravox EXC-285. There was no hum before, just some background noise/hiss when the ear is close to the midrange horn. Part of this is due to the DarTZeel preamp, which can produce some background noise with highly sensitive speakers (I am getting this addressed with an attenuation circuit). These mods to the power supply did reduce the background noise significantly.

I did mention this to Wolf. He just said that if it improves the sound, go for it/great to hear! I was hoping he would try these mods himself but he said he doesn't have time...

dcathro

Sep 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
From Digikey:
PART: 3M7050F-ND
DESC: RF ABSORB SHEET 11.693"X8.268" MFG : 3M / AB7050HF

So it's the 50. Do you know what the difference is among the 10/30/50?

Only that the thickness varies from 0.1mm to 0.5mm, but I am curious as to the difference in effect - one might be too little, another too much.

Problem is that you have to buy in lots of 50 sheets, so difficult to try a sample.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Only that the thickness varies from 0.1mm to 0.5mm, but I am curious as to the difference in effect - one might be too little, another too much.

Problem is that you have to buy in lots of 50 sheets, so difficult to try a sample.
Yes, you can overdo it with negative effects. I was able to buy 1 sheet from Digikey.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Video time: The Pnoe system is still doing 10% of what it can, but this was quite promising at Bill's yesterday. DaVa and Audio Detail GM70 (great value SET from UK, he also makes a very nice 101d preamp) combined together. Audio detail electronics are voiced for transparency and neutrality, retaining musicality. You hear them often on my hORNs Universum videos.

Bill is planning to move his room out into that garden part, so then he will have more space. But that will take time. Also here while life, impact, nuance was extremely high, we know his room is currently losing bass. He also has his own DIY cables. This was more for getting a flavor of which direction to go. Further SET demos coming up slowly.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
So Ked, Bill not running his own project horns at all anymore, just the Pnoes?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
So Ked, Bill not running his own project horns at all anymore, just the Pnoes?

Yep. He can always build when he wants to, this hobby waxes and wanes like the moon

RoAm

Apr 13, 2021
Video time: The Pnoe system is still doing 10% of what it can, but this was quite promising at Bill's yesterday. DaVa and Audio Detail GM70 (great value SET from UK, he also makes a very nice 101d preamp) combined together. Audio detail electronics are voiced for transparency and neutrality, retaining musicality. You hear them often on my hORNs Universum videos.

Bill is planning to move his room out into that garden part, so then he will have more space. But that will take time. Also here while life, impact, nuance was extremely high, we know his room is currently losing bass. He also has his own DIY cables. This was more for getting a flavor of which direction to go. Further SET demos coming up slowly.

Thanks Ked for keeping us up to date on Audiophile Bill’s system; it’s greatly appreciated! I miss his contributions to the forum.
RoAm

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014

Love the smell of jazz in the moanin… sounding like it’s such a promising direction for Bill to now head in… plenty of pulse and flow but still rightly fierce and fantastic, love it!

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland

These are BD5s?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing