Visit to Chris to See Magico M9 and VYGER and Pilium in Southlake, Texas

I am not speaking for Magico. I am speaking from my own experiences with again, 25 years of doing trade shows, and most of them disc-jockeying a room.

For example-

There are <10 people in a room, you take a request from someone and they take the iPad and select a 17 minute classical track that takes 7 minutes to unfold. Eight of the people out of the ten leave the room. 10 other people walk in look around and walk out during the 17 minute track.

Or you hand the Ipad to someone and they select a terribly recorded hip-hop track. Half of the room gets up and walks out.

Or your requestor puts on an obscure 80's disco track. He bops his head. Others leave the room.

It's not the specific tracks of types of music that is controversial, it happens to be an inappropriate track that works for the specific listener but unfortunately does does not appeal to mostly everyone else. I like to play selections which allow any type of visitor can get a sense for what the system that is being shown sounds like.

I will take my chances at shows with playing selections that can appeal to the majority of visitors. We are always open if someone has specific selections that they would like to hear to have them stop in before or after the normal show hours. This is done almost every day of a show.

I will take my chances at not playing "Russian Roulette" at shows, although different vendors handle the situations in a total different manner. I am not saying that my method or the method of other vendors which are demonstrating at shows is right or wrong, I am just giving my experience and some of the reasons that I chose to operate in the manner that I have in the past and will in the future.

On the flip side visitors that offer selections, which I personally make exceptions for at times, do provide great sounding tracks that are also very good music selections and appeal the masses. Again, Russian Roulette and I chose to take the path that works for me.

Come and find me at Munich, would enjoy meeting you if you are attending.

Very true , always Best to play only requests from your play list , not on the play list , sorry , Next ..!

Regards

FREITAG aus LICHT, is one of mine favorites, and YES I have listened to them ALL ! ;)

Oh, yes, the opera FREITAG (Friday) contains incredibly inventive, original and at the same time hauntingly beautiful vocal music! And of course, the tape of its electronic music is one of his best electronic works, if not the best (I wrote about it in detail on my website, just as I wrote about "Hymnen", one of the most famous works of electronic music). And that woodwind music in FREITAG!

Stockhausen is one of the musical giants of all time.

Reactions: AudioLibertarian
Magico is right over the hill from me, a hop, a skip and a jump in Hayward, but I doubt as a humble audio commoner that I could just waltz over there for a listen. Maybe I should steal an Absolute Sound press pass.

Magico is right over the hill from me, a hop, a skip and a jump in Hayward, but I doubt as a humble audio commoner that I could just waltz over there for a listen. Maybe I should steal an Absolute Sound press pass.
All you have to do is contact them and see what they have set up and if you can come for a visit. They do not have a retail walk in store. They do routinely do demonstrations for interested customers, all you have to do is set up something in advance.

Reactions: Bobvin
I never doubted, or questioned your store's customer oriented policies actually. The topic was of Magico's fear, or some may say a reluctance to have their speakers being recorded or played outside of their comfort zone in the public forums, so I just have brought up my own experience.
Sorry that you did not understand my post. It had 1% to do with our store's policies and 99% to do with why Magico AND I demonstrate at shows in the manner in which we do.Please go back and read my post. I gave several examples and the reason why we use playlists. I also explained that we do take requests either prior or post show normal hours. If I am being vague please let me know and I will try to explain it more clearly.

I am not speaking for Magico. I am speaking from my own experiences with again, 25 years of doing trade shows, and most of them disc-jockeying a room.

For example-

There are <10 people in a room, you take a request from someone and they take the iPad and select a 17 minute classical track that takes 7 minutes to unfold. Eight of the people out of the ten leave the room. 10 other people walk in look around and walk out during the 17 minute track.

Or you hand the Ipad to someone and they select a terribly recorded hip-hop track. Half of the room gets up and walks out.

Or your requestor puts on an obscure 80's disco track. He bops his head. Others leave the room.

It's not the specific tracks of types of music that is controversial, it happens to be an inappropriate track that works for the specific listener but unfortunately does does not appeal to mostly everyone else. I like to play selections which allow any type of visitor can get a sense for what the system that is being shown sounds like.

I will take my chances at shows with playing selections that can appeal to the majority of visitors. We are always open if someone has specific selections that they would like to hear to have them stop in before or after the normal show hours. This is done almost every day of a show.

I will take my chances at not playing "Russian Roulette" at shows, although different vendors handle the situations in a total different manner. I am not saying that my method or the method of other vendors which are demonstrating at shows is right or wrong, I am just giving my experience and some of the reasons that I chose to operate in the manner that I have in the past and will in the future.

On the flip side visitors that offer selections, which I personally make exceptions for at times, do provide great sounding tracks that are also very good music selections and appeal the masses. Again, Russian Roulette and I chose to take the path that works for me.

Sometimes you have people walking in with "Russian Roulette". I once played as a visitor "War Pigs" by Black Sabbath in an room (PranaFidelity) at a show, at loud volume. A guy next to me was enthusiastically air drumming, and by the end of the 7-minute song the room was packed. Obviously people were hungry for some good music after hearing all that light audiophile stuff in all those rooms.

When I played in that same room some wild classical, Stravinsky's "Rite of Spring", there were also a couple of interested fellow listeners.

Funny thing is that at many hi fi shows exhibitors will tell you that if they want to clear the room they just play classical music. Shostakovich works the best ... I kid you not! I always suggest they play Sibelius as well, hehehe
Works on me every time!

Couple years back I did Pacific Audio Fest with Bob.east. I had only heard (for the first time) “Keith Don’t Go” shortly before the show, thought it made a decent demo track. I mentioned this to Bob and he gave a stare… “don‘t play that track” he said. I asked why he said it was overplayed at audio shows for years, room after room.

I’ve mentioned this to visitors to my room here in Portland, just as aside. Many have said “great advice, if I hear a room playing that track I walk by.”

I let one guy at the audio show pick a song… cleared the room. (Personally, I was groovin, but I learned.)

-bob.west

Reactions: thomask
The one thing that drives me buckin' fonkers is when I want to hear how the speakers perform and their playlist is a singer and a guitar or a singer and a violin. BORING.

That does not show what a speaker can do. Heck, a bookshelf speaker could pull that off. Many times, better than a bigger speaker IME.

Play something that shows the capability of the speaker you are demonstrating. Not just the easy stuff.

I may be the devil's advocate here but I have walked out of rooms because of this reason many times. Lack of interest gets me because they play not one selection that allows me (or anyone, for that matter) to hear anything that truly matters when auditioning something.

Playing the "safe" stuff is telling to me. Especially when played at levels that are barely revealing to what the system can actually do.

Yes, it's pleasing. Yes, it's not overly loud (much appreciated) but still. That's not a demo. That's a joke in my book.

I do understand the Russian Roulette but sometimes the other extreme offers an equally disappointing outcome. FWIW.

Tom

Funny thing is that at many hi fi shows exhibitors will tell you that if they want to clear the room they just play classical music. Shostakovich works the best ... I kid you not! I always suggest they play Sibelius as well, hehehe

I will walk eagerly into any room playing Shostakovich or Sibelius at an audio show. Too much audiophile pablum played at shows.

I used to make a CD that I took to a show. If the room owner knew you were a reviewer, he would often accommodate one or two tracks -- that's probably less so today. I tried to have a variety with classics people might know even if they don't recognize the tune. Here's a sample from years back. Bonzo, Tao and others probably know most of these:

Giordani: Caro Mio Bene - from Amadeus soundtrack solo vocal w/ piano
Mozart: Le Nozze Di Figaro - the Letter Duet, Kiri Te Kanawa and Lucia Popp
Puccini: Madame Butterfly - Un bel di, vedremo -- you'd know it if you heard it
Wagner: Götterdämmerung -- heavy orchestral
Wagner Lohegrin Prelude Act 1 - effervescent massed strings
Wagner: Bridal Chorus - Here Comes the Bride big choral
Pergolesi: Stabat Mater - Organ and Boys Choir
John Williams: Abandoned and Pursued - orchestral from ET soundtrack
Anne Bisson: September in Montreal
Annie Lennox: Into the West - from Lord of the Rings soundtrack
Richards, Keith: 999 - Keith rocks
Richards, Keith: Words of Wonder -- the most dynamic rock I know.
Bach: Sonata #1 - Grumiaux

Last edited:
I heard Shostakovich at shows only once. Back in 2019

Reactions: the sound of Tao
And as this is thread is on Chris' systems, on topic is his system playing Shostakovich brilliantly

Reactions: the sound of Tao

For example-

I am not a Magico fan, but as hard as it is for some “customers” to accept... You are in your right to play what you like. Most of us show attendees are freeloaders anyway ;)

I will walk eagerly into any room playing Shostakovich or Sibelius at an audio show. Too much audiophile pablum played at shows.
A fantastic performance of the Sibelius violin concerto or Shostakovich cello concerto or a Rach piano concerto would serve as a hifi hallway siren call for sure… Stockhausen probably just a tad too niche… really tasty jazz, opera and large orchestral can all be great tests of a system alongside well chosen rock and RnB… it’s pretty easy to hide behind some bandwidth or scale restricted audiophile show tunes for sure.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: bonzo75 and tima
What I don’t understand is what’s the big deal about all this hoopla about an M9 video with off axis sound recording?

Do you honestly think a serious M9 customer is going to base their purchase decision on an online audio recording?

When I purchased my M2, I didn’t rely on any video recording of the sound. I went into and demoed it against another speaker I was considering.

Too much negative posts against Ron - who was just trying to give us some entertainment.

And if anything, Chris Hesse should be applauded for letting Ron have free rein of his system(s) for the sake of our entertainment.

Case in point - Livio posts videos of his Sonus Faber Supremas all the time. Off center. Bass anemic.

Honestly, no true customer of the speaker cares. It’s all for entertainment and those willing to shell out the mortgage level cash on one, would fly down to talk and meet with the likes of Hesse and buy a pair.

Hi Joey, Ron did his thing the way that he always does. He gets up and walks around while tracks are playing and records. The result was a sonically dumbed down not very flattering video. imho

The difference here is that Alon does not want M9 videos taken and published on YT. You can argue with Alon's reasons but this is the way it has been for 5 years now. Chris represents Magico with respect to M9s. We have had 10 people that wanted to take videos of the M9s and the answer was always we did not allow that as a representative of Magico.

Do you see any Wilson Chronosonic videos published? I just did a search and not one Chronosonic video, XVX yes, and M7 yes, but not the flagships. This is the way that both Wilson and Magico prefer to treat their flagship models.

When customers are interested in purchasing $750K speakers the manufacturers prefer to have the interested parties listen to the speakers in person vs YT videos. It's their flagship product and they want to protect it from NOT VERY GOOD videos being published which is the case for Ron's video.imho

I was not at Chris' during Ron's visit or I would have not allowed Ron to do a video of the M9s. That is out of respect for Alon's preferences and I represent Alon/Magico.

Chris has asked Ron post Ron publishing the video to take the video down as Chris did not realize that it would be posted but Ron leaves the video up.

It is what it is and there will be arguments about this until the cows come home, but doing M9 videos is not preferred by Magico, simple as that.

The people that want Ron's type video published should call Peter or Alon at Magico and discuss their need for Ron's type video to be published. Other than that Alon, Peter AND MYSELF will not allow M9 YT videos be published, simple as that. We have our reasons.

What I don’t understand is what’s the big deal about all this hoopla about an M9 video with off axis sound recording?

Do you honestly think a serious M9 customer is going to base their purchase decision on an online audio recording?

When I purchased my M2, I didn’t rely on any video recording of the sound. I went into and demoed it against another speaker I was considering.
Too much negative posts against Ron - who was just trying to give us some entertainment.

Not withstanding Bob's comments which relate to Magico, here is the issue as I see it: There is more to it than entertainment. There is a bigger industry picture here regarding dealer behavior and relations. Ron is a dealer in competition with other dealers. Ron posted a mediocre video of another dealer's speaker. The issue is about one dealer going to another dealer's showroom and making videos and public comments about that dealer's products.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing