Visit to Clarisys Auditoriums + CH Precision System in Spokane, Washington

I think a classical music lover should go straight to horns, but for the wider musical palettes, dipole planars are great.
It is very nice to have both, Planars AND Horns :cool:

I don't know if it's a good idea chronically to listen at the intensities and volumes that horns demand. Need to keep some of the hearing for the twilight.
The beauty of very good Horns is that they already "deliver" at very low volume, even lower than with my Apogees ;):eek:

I actually watched this excellent interview entirely by chance last night , @Ron Resnick. Congrats on a great review. What a room and what a system! Have you heard ANY system with and without the Ideon Absolute Time? And where in the chain would one deploy it? Would it drop in between the player/streamer and the DAC? I have an Antipodes K41 and K22 and also wonder how much a device like this might improve SQ when Antipodes does such a superb job in re- clocking as it is.
Thank you!

This was the first time I ever heard the Ideon DAC. I am not familiar with the Ideon Absolute Time.

Reactions: KrellFan1
Cyrus probably will be joining us on the Zoom call!

Florián Wiegand is joining us on the Zoom call tonight!

The sense I get from this system is one of sheer effortlessness- it feels like it can scale demanding passages and then just shine a light on intimate passages too. Thanks for sharing. It brought back memories of my days in college when I sold Apogee and Krell. Nothing quite sounds like a planar magnetic speaker.

Ron, nice interview. I enjoy these glimpses into fellow members' listening rooms. I also appreciate that you included at the end some samples of how this system actually sounds. It is good to be able to hear the description from the owner of the system and room, and then to hear the sound via a system video on YouTube.

I noticed the sound does not change when the image goes from the listening seat to a close up behind the speaker. Is the music track separate from the video? Could you describe the method you used to make the recording of the sound of the system? Thank you.
I also love this type of video. If the legacy magazines did more of this type of reporting instead of endless schills and cookie cutter reviews, they would be epic IMHO. This is what audiophiles want—journey, system building, real rooms in real houses, etc. Bravo, Ron.

Please join me tonight at 6:00 pm Pacific Coast Time / 9:00 pm East Coast Time to discuss on Zoom the Auditoriums and Cyrus' wonderful room + system:

Ron Resnick is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: Ron Resnick's Clarisys Auditoriums Report Zoom Meeting
Time: Feb 25, 2024 06:00 PM Pacific Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting

Meeting ID: 816 0919 9904
Passcode: 225224

---

One tap mobile
+16694449171,,81609199904#,,,,*225224# US
+12532158782,,81609199904#,,,,*225224# US (Tacoma)

---

Dial by your location
• +1 669 444 9171 US
• +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
• +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
• +1 719 359 4580 US
• +1 720 707 2699 US (Denver)
• +1 253 205 0468 US
• +1 689 278 1000 US
• +1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)
• +1 305 224 1968 US
• +1 309 205 3325 US
• +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
• +1 360 209 5623 US
• +1 386 347 5053 US
• +1 507 473 4847 US
• +1 564 217 2000 US
• +1 646 558 8656 US (New York)
• +1 646 931 3860 US

Meeting ID: 816 0919 9904
Passcode: 225224

Find your local number: https://us06web.zoom.us/u/kOftGMSsT
Was this recorded, would like to see the meeting

Please subscribe to the What's Best Forum YouTube channel!

Florián Wiegand, Head of Global Distribution for Clarisys Audio, set his alarm and got up at 3:00 AM Switzerland Time to be able to join us on this Zoom call.

On this Zoom call Florián

-- announced two new Clarisys loudspeaker products,

-- confirmed the continuing development of the outrageously huge (11 feet tall, two panels per side) flagship Hall loudspeaker, and

-- announced a midrange driver upgrade program for the Minuet, the Studio Plus and the Auditorium!

Last edited:
Once again, a great job Ron! Thank you to everyone who participated for a great video...very informative and fascinating to listen!

Ron
Thank you for sharing videos and report

My pleasure Lloyd and Amir!

Reactions: Amir
Yes, the zoom meeting was very nice. Thanks, Ron.

Reactions: Ron Resnick
Florián Wiegand, Head of Global Distribution for Clarisys Audio, set his alarm and got up at 3:00 AM Switzerland Time to be able to join us on this Zoom call.

On this Zoom call Florián

-- announced two new Clarisys loudspeaker products,

-- confirmed the continuing development of the outrageously huge (11 feet tall, two panels per side) flagship Hall loudspeaker, and

-- announced a midrange driver upgrade program for the Minuet, the Studio Plus and the Auditorium!
Ron,

You've long been an owner and fan of Martin Logans. Many of us have also admired and/or owned panels (Apogees for me). Given that you are with your near-ideal design with the Pendragons, I am curious:

Had the Clarisys Auditoriums been around at the same time as you were searching for the Pendragons...could you see yourself going this way and possibly either having bass panels or having tower subs a la MBL or REL 6-pack or others to take them from 10hz - 28hz?

Reactions: bonzo75
Had the Clarisys Auditoriums been around at the same time as you were searching for the Pendragons...could you see yourself going this way and possibly either having bass panels or having tower subs a la MBL or REL 6-pack or others to take them from 10hz - 28hz?

Yes. But not just Clarisys Auditorium. Alsyvox Caravaggio by all accounts also is amazing. A dear friend of mine in The Netherlands recently installed Alsyvox loudspeakers in a new dedicated room. I am planning to visit him this Summer for a very long and leisurely audition.

For a "planar person" like me comparing and contrasting Gryphon Pendragon versus Alsyvox Caravaggio versus Clarisys Auditorium is a fascinating exercise.

A couple of weeks before my trip to Spokane, Bob Vineyard and I were discussing the possibility of me adding a couple of days at the end of my Spokane trip to visit Bob and to audition leisurely the Alsyvox in his amazing room. I would have loved to have heard in dedicated home listening environments the Alsyvox right after the Clarisys.

Unfortunately, at the time we were having that discussion, our schedules didn't work mutually. I am hoping to visit Bob in the near future, unless my trip to The Netherlands happens first.

Reactions: Bobvin
Virtue of 75 inch Wisdom type ribbons (144 sq. inches radiating surface) is that they capture and project that broad midrange and high frequencies without a crossover break between 250hz (or so) and 18Khz, and have the flat 6 ohm impedance. That is an uncommon feature for ribbons. You 'need' a lot of surface area on a midrange ribbon for broad dynamics, or you have to cross it over high.

It's one of the reasons I replaced the smaller ribbon on the Analysis speakers with the 75 inch ribbons i.e. to get better more effortless dynamics at volume and it worked.

It does look like the Clarysis have fatter midrange ribbons compared to the old Apogees.

Reactions: christoph
Virtue of 75 inch Wisdom type ribbons (144 sq. inches radiating surface) is that they capture and project that broad midrange and high frequencies without a crossover break between 250hz (or so) and 18Khz, and have the flat 6 ohm impedance. That is an uncommon feature for ribbons. You 'need' a lot of surface area on a midrange ribbon for broad dynamics, or you have to cross it over high.

It's one of the reasons I replaced the smaller ribbon on the Analysis speakers with the 75 inch ribbons i.e. to get better more effortless dynamics at volume and it worked.

It does look like the Clarysis have fatter midrange ribbons compared to the old Apogees.

Wisdom Audio uses planar magnetic
( much different magnetic drive) not a Ribbon like Clarysis.

BTW , going longer does not increase bandwidth , that requires more width, the longer diaphragm increases sensitivity and lowers distortion at the same db ..

Regards

Wisdom Audio uses planar magnetic
( much different magnetic drive) not a Ribbon like Clarysis.

BTW , going longer does not increase bandwidth , that requires more width, the longer diaphragm increases sensitivity and lowers distortion at the same db ..

Regards
Yes, Wisdom is more along the Maggie type, conducting traces in poly membrane. Might have a 'speed' advantage over full ribbons, but not as wispy as electrostats. This is also how the bass panel on Analysis planars operate.

This came up in the customary 'shootout' comparisons in the old Apogee group about the generally three planar types. Electrostats, 'fastest' but with potentially less 'body'. Intermediate: traces on plastic membranes (Maggie-like), not as fast as stats but more body. "Real" ribbons or quasi ribbons like Apogee, still good detail and response, but fuller body and tone.

Whether there is a new paradigm that does it all in a planar without compromise I guess is in the eye and preference of the beholder.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing